Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32604 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »

Well, we know how we're going to woo Odd: Absolutely bluntly and upfront about it.

+1 the only way to go.

I mean, we have okay stewardship and learning, and are a smith.  Maybe invite her over for a private dinner so we can talk about her runes?  Bluntly of course.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2016, 02:32:49 pm »

Well, we know how we're going to woo Odd: Absolutely bluntly and upfront about it.

+1 the only way to go.

I mean, we have okay stewardship and learning, and are a smith.  Maybe invite her over for a private dinner so we can talk about her runes?  Bluntly of course.

+1 to finding mutual Learning things to converse about.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:56 am »

+1 the only way to go.

+1 to finding mutual Learning things to converse about.

+1 to direct wooing.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 05:49:29 am »

Hypothesis: Rune magic is a subtle magic. It can help guide and make efforts more likely to succeed or fail, but it is most effective when done subtly. This helps contribute to the doubt of whether or not it actually works as well as helping make sure that idiot foreigners ignore it so that Seidr users have just that bit more of an edge while keeping it a more tightly held secret. Google seems to support that perspective as well as provide information that men practicing it was something of a social taboo.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2016, 05:41:20 am »

PTWA(e)C
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2016, 04:31:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »

Year 2: 1001 AD

What a beautiful new year! You have fallen in love and the settlement is coming along nicely. Although there are some issues which need to be taken care of rather urgently. Most importantly food.

Spoiler:  Martial (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Diplomacy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stewardship (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Piety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Intrigue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal (click to show/hide)
--------------------------------------

Spoiler:  Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Treasury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Jomarsted (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 04:55:08 pm »

Changed vote to Vishdafish's.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:09:44 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 05:01:25 pm »

Martial
Scout for the Natives
Explore the Coast

Diplomacy
Trade with Iceland (We are still friendly with them, despite the conversion, and the trade ships can also bring more dissatisfied settlers over.)
Come to Vinland we have Old Gods!

Stewardship
Farming  (With our current funds, we can't afford to upgrade either of our Industries, but we will need to do so as soon as is feasible for us.)

Research
Honey? HONEY!  (We definitely need a stable source of alcohol, so our settlers can relax after a day of hard labour.)
Foreign Plants  (For the reasons I detailed before: potential food, medicine or crafts.)
?Brewing?  (If we can figure out the Latin way of brewing alcohol, maybe we can develop exotic drinks?)

Piety
Talk to Horek the White  (We don't want to convert to Christianity, we like our Gods more, but if any settlers come who have already converted, perhaps we can make them feel a little more comfortable?)

Personal
Woo Her!  (Highest priority, since we aren't getting any younger.)
A Steady Job  (Since we can smith, which is a rare skill, in much demand, and potentially lucrative.)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »

Martial
Scout for the natives. ((We can trade iron tools if friendly, take them as thralls if not.))
Explore the coast. ((Not enough cash for much else  :())

Diplomacy
Trade with Iceland

Piety
Talk to Horek. ((Better than nothing, we can understand Christian settlers as well.))

Stewardship
Farming

Research
Foreign plants ((Help with farming, we can plant native crops which might grow better.))
Domesticating the buffalo ((If we have a bad winter, we have a backup.))

Personal
Woo her!
A steady job. ((Hunting is kinda risky, seeing as we arent particularly good at it.))
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:20:50 pm by vishdafish »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »

Martial
Scout for the natives. ((We can trade iron tools if friendly, take them as thralls if not.))
Explore the coast. ((Not enough cash for much else  :())

Diplomacy
Trade with the Muslims in Spain. ((Spanish steel is the best and Christians may be unfriendly or try to convert our crews.))

Piety
Talk to Horek. ((Better than nothing, we can understand Christian settlers as well.))

Stewardship
Farming

Research
Foreign plants
Domesticating the buffalo

Personal
Woo her!
A steady job. ((Hunting is kinda risky, seeing as we arent particularly good at it.))

Changing my vote to this +1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:33 pm »

Aaaaand we have no cash. Diplomacy let's hope you can help.
Martial:
Explore the Coast
Scout For Natives
Patrol the Fence

That's not an option you might say and so I say back to you, we have no money. While we haven't come into conflict quite yet, ensuring that the fence is patrolled and maintained is something of important, and something without cost.

Diplomacy:
Trade with Iceland

We need money, we are going to have resources soon to boost our trade with Iceland even more, and more people means more tax income. Once we get that set up, we can build up more trade opportunities as well.

Stewardship:
Farming
Thrall Farming

We have no money. We have no food. Throwing the thralls into farming will probably boost the rate at which it gets set up and may help it become more successful faster.

Research:
Foreign Plants
Domesticating the Buffalo
Blah blah money blah blah food opportunities, listen I just want to ride these meat tanks into battle okay?

Piety:
Learn more about the Old Gods from Thorlief

Our funds are being used to make farms and I'd rather not get too involved in the White God's matters when we're advertising that people can worship the Old Gods here.

Personal
Woo her!
Go Hunting

I doubt anyone is opposed to SoF&I references so I won't go into that. We need food.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »

((The only problem with trading with Iceland and inviting believers of the Old Gods at the same time is they conflict. Iceland may not be friendly with us after we steal their citizens.))

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:38 pm »

((The only problem with trading with Iceland and inviting believers of the Old Gods at the same time is they conflict. Iceland may not be friendly with us after we steal their citizens.))

(That makes this the only time we can do this.  Icelanders are very independent, it even says so in the original post.  The "king" will dislike it, but the people will respect the free decisions any settlers make.  If we wait any longer, people will either be more comfortable with Christianity, and therefore not willing to leave, or will have some people converting.)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:03 pm »

not exactly a problem. Many people want to go to iceland and iceland itself has a tradition of exposing children (that is throwing them out into the snow to die) to deal with surplus population growth.

With people wandering out to Vinland you would be taking in the worst troublemakers and put a valve to their overpopulation. (relative overpopulation)
Don't worry you won't get any big problems with Iceland for advertising yourself as a Refuge for Pagans.

You will however get problems with some of the more ardent christians.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36