Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32621 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 05:35:37 pm »

(Plus the conversion by the King didn't exactly come willingly. We may get some coverage by the Athling and other important persons who want to snub the king as well as their business.)

Well sucks for the Christians then. We didn't want to trade with you anyway.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 06:09:16 pm »

Yeah, lets flip the bird to the christians! :P

Martial
Scout for the natives. ((We can trade iron tools if friendly, take them as thralls if not.))
Explore the coast. ((Not enough cash for much else  :())

Diplomacy
Come to Vinland we have Old Gods!
Trade with the Muslims in Spain. ((Spanish steel is the best and Christians may be unfriendly or try to convert our crews.))

Piety
Talk to Horek. ((Better than nothing, we can understand Christian settlers as well.))

Stewardship
Farming

Research
Foreign plants ((Help with farming, we can plant native crops which might grow better.))
Domesticating the buffalo ((If we have a bad winter, we have a backup.))

Personal
Woo her!
A steady job. ((Hunting is kinda risky, seeing as we arent particularly good at it.))
Throw in another vote for this.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »

Well it looks like trading with Spain has it at the moment. I still think that trading with Iceland would provide somewhat better opportunities due to the fact that we know what they want and like and trading with Spain will require us to invest in learning about all of that. Plus once we have a bit more cash, we can set up Logging and get a guaranteed increase in Icelandic trading revenue as well as the revenue we'd get from trading within settlement.

Plus the more people looking to practice worship of the Old Gods coming over possibly bit.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2016, 07:13:23 pm »

I'm not sure how Spanish steel being better than ours is going to help with trade?  We're looking for an income, which means we want to offer things they don't have (or have little of), not things that are inferior to the local variety.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »

Not sure what the Spanish need atm, but once we establish trading relations and get cash, we can import toledo steel. Also, (I think) Vikings in general had excellent smithing techniques and once we start producing weapons, we can sell them at inflated prices to countries at war or high quality weapons to rich lords/people.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2016, 07:51:58 pm »

How about we do that as our second trading position then? We seem to be in a better position to set up Icelandic trading as with the 100 Hacksilver increase in income from trading, we'll have enough next turn to start up Logging which will only increase our income to even greater levels. That'll put us in a stronger trading position so we could be better able to negotiate cheaper prices on steel as well as be able to afford it.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »

Hmm... Now that I think about it more, trading with Iceland first does have its benefits. After all, toledo steel costs silver to import, and that is something we are in short supply of. Also I guess the trading ships can bring back the poorer immigrants, who cant afford passage, on the way back? Edited my post.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2016, 11:50:09 pm »

Martial:
Explore the Coast
Scout for the Natives

Diplomacy:
Trade with Iceland
Come to Vinland we have Old Gods

Stewardship:
Farming
Logging

Research:
Honey? HONEY!
Foreign Plants

Piety:
Talk to Horek the White

Personal:
Woo her!
A steady job.

*So, here's the thing. We can sell wood at good prices to Iceland. This should mostly pay for itself, especially with the base income from trading. Especially if borrowing is a thing in this, which I suspect it might not be.

Here's the other thing. Buffalo take a long time and are unlikely to work. Honey is quick and easy, and more importantly, honey is good for preserving food, which is about as, if not more, important as producing it. Native plants grow better here, I'll bet you an axe on it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:33 am »

The problem with Logging is that we just plain don't have the cash for it because we need to kickstart farming to get food going, which is going to eat up our cash. Next turn we'll have just enough to start Logging up and get some that sweet sweet silver flowing.

Everyone agrees on Foreign Plants yay :P

40% compared to 50% isn't the greatest difference in likelihood. Now it hasn't been specifically stated, but it's been suggested that you only need to roll once on a multiple year project when you succeed on it and that the Research time doesn't prevent you from starting other projects. So once we get Buffalo rolling, we can focus on other things in the meantime, like Honey. Honey also likely leads to silver expenses for Research like Mining has, while we've already put money into farms. It's with certainty an important project, but right now we probably don't have the funds to successfully pursue it as we'll probably be spending what silver we get almost immediately while we try to get our economy up and running. I'm all for starting Honey up next turn presuming Foreign Plants doesn't lead to two things we'll want immediately.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2016, 01:16:54 am »

We're getting income from both our personal work and the trade, which should be enough to pay for the Logging.

In fact, given that we have 290 now, as long as we make at least 60 Hacksilver from our trade, we'll have enough. Now that the colony's a bit more established, we can semi-reasonably expect this. Just good to get this started sooner. If we can't afford it, we'll find out and the money won't be spent. But we should at least put an action in the slot.

I still think Honey should be started sooner, since it will be over faster. Also, I'm not certain that we get multiple rolls for a multi-year project, rather than one roll at the end, which is my worry. 40% to 50% isn't much, but 87.5% to 40% is.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2016, 01:29:06 am »

Well in the OP it said we could suggest our own options at times, so my suggestion included other options that were probably cost free, Patrolling the Fence, having the Thralls help with farming, and talking to Thorleif to learn more about the old gods aka increase our piety. So far Ghazkull hasn't commented on whether or not those are game possible actions though.

My thinking of Buffallo Domestigation was that it would be one roll at the beginning, and if it didn't work out we could restart the project next year and thought that the concern would be that we would have to succeed a 40% roll each year, though your perspective makes some more sense than mine does in retrospect. In such a case, the sooner we get Buffalo started, the sooner we can see if we succeeded or not and try again. And nothing prevents us from Honey research inbetween the start and end of Buffalo research.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2016, 02:36:51 am »

Bloody hell I just realized who our steward is.  Uh keep on his good side.

We should look into what our options are in Iceland before starting with calling everyone over for the new gods.  Also that mega temple is way too expensive.  Maybe one shrine, later.  Making a shrine to each god and maybe a christian church would probably cost less.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2016, 02:45:17 am »

The sooner we call people over, the more effective it'll likely be.

Based on what it says it's replacing (6 temples and a sacrifice thing), the larger temple is probably slightly cheaper in the long run and only uses one piety action.

Any idea what sort of damage the steward can do? Can we use him for intrigue? Should we use him for intrigue?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2016, 02:56:35 am »

The sooner we call people over, the more effective it'll likely be.

Based on what it says it's replacing (6 temples and a sacrifice thing), the larger temple is probably slightly cheaper in the long run and only uses one piety action.

Any idea what sort of damage the steward can do? Can we use him for intrigue? Should we use him for intrigue?

Scarred man named Thorfin Thorson with a British freeman for a friend...

Spoiler: warning TV Tropes page (click to show/hide)

We can call people over next turn, let them stew in anger for a bit!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2016, 03:48:00 am »

Hehehe, i wondered when someone would figure out Thorfinn. Don't worry its not THE Thorfinn, its just a Thorfinn with a British Freeman friend...;P

anyway as for multiple tests: Research has that yes. You will have a test every year. Other projects might to, which however i won't tell.

As for suggesting projects, i will accept them as future projects if people have voted on them. Bring at least 5 supporters for a project you want to make happen and it will be added. THe high hurlde is there to prevent people from swamping me in new projects they just came up with.

As for trade, you can feasibly trade with Spain and Iceland or Dublin. One does not exclude the others. Due to the immense travel times it does not really matter to the trader if he does a further detour to Ireland or Spain.

As for the temple and shrines, the thing is really if you want to promote a specific god in your region or if you want to keep temples unified.
Historically it is assumed that not many ACTUAL temples existed.

Most of the time temples where part of a chieftains or godis house were he also did lawgiving and other business. So imagine in principle a longhouse, with a seperate building/wing of the house set aside as temple and an are where law was spoken and trials held.

Basically whatever you do you give Thorleif a larger house with a shrine in it or you build a dedicated temple (there is only one known to exist in Uppsala (Thats in Sweden) although few remnants of it were ever found).

It also determines into which direction you want to organize your faith, seperated priesthoods for each god (maybe even with a few dominant gods -> think egyptian, greek faith for that one.) or a unified priesthood for all gods together.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36