Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability  (Read 11287 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2016, 09:05:12 am »

Ernest sights quiet, pinching the bridge of his nose while mumbling something about amateurs...

Bend down as though tying a shoe lace, making sure the ticket lady is occupied with the holograms and failed to notice Akira going through maintenance. If so, quietly follow her through.

If not, bullshit the ticket lady with a sob story about being a maintenance guy called in on my day off at "MEC-con", wishes for some "goddamn overtime" and that I'm stuck with someone as socially-inept as Akira for a partner. Then follow Akira.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2016, 10:47:58 am »

Adam

Adam quickly scans the text, before swearing. "Not good. Hopefully, I can..."

The engineer stops talking mid-sentence, focused on his work. He'd search the cab for an access panel of some sort, attempting to break in and override that alert before the cops show up.

[Mechanics 7+2] You don't have time to do a nice job, you don't even have time to do a good job. You squeeze your metal clad fingers into the seem where the moulded plastic of the dash meets the HUD interface. Under normal circumstances, this would be almost impossible to do without a tool, but the augmentation from the suit makes the action almost effortless. You scan the raw hardware quickly, looking for the vehicle's net connection hub. You find it.

Lacking a better option in the next three seconds, you rip it out.

Warning messages immediately stream across the vehicle HUD, the police alert failing as the vehicle loses signal suddenly and completely.

Warning: Net connection lost, police call failed
Warning: Net connection lost, SD-Traffic Authority sync failed
Warning: Net connection lost, U-Eat Vendor sync failed
Warning: Net connection lost, Medi-aid monitor implant sync failed

Okay, the only one of those that seems like a problem is the second one. Without the sync to the SD Traffic Authority, the vehicle autopilot can't drive, which means that the only option is to take manual control, which, on city streets, is tantamount to suicide.

Jamie

Watch the dude do his "smart guy" stuff.

'Smart guy stuff' apparently involves putting your fist inside the beating heart of the truck and ripping parts out. Honestly, that seems fairly simply. Granted, the fact that it stops the police call immediately and doesn't shut the vehicle down probably means he pulled out something very specific. Warning messages scroll across the vehicle's windshield, but you ignore them. The other guy will probably handle it, and it's definitely not your field. You learned the value of delagation back in the day.

You settle back to wait, but your attention is caught by a small group approaching the vehicle. Five, four male, one female. The males look like your ganger rookies, dressed in neon trim,  wearing flip-up  goggles on their face to protect from pepper spray, carrying small arms in a way that could only charitably considered concealed, and walking like they have crap in their pants. The female... she's interesting. She's not dress up like a gang punk. Her clothing is discrete for this place, plainclothes, dirty and torn as though she was just an alley bum. She has a cyberware rig locked over her eyes, and she keeps her eyes fixed on her own feet, walking in the center of the group of gangers with a shuffling stride. [Perception 7] One might mistake her for a piece of gang-meat, but those don't get brought on trips. She seems well fed, and you can't spot any bruises on her exposed skin. Her shuffling, detached gait causes her to weave slightly, and the other gangers are quick to step out of the way of such stumbles- a reflexive act like a dog shying from the master's hand.

Akira

"Y-yeah... of course! Problem is, we don't have pockets on the outside of this costume, so if you don't mind I'm gonna go get my wallet out about now..." Akira stammers as she rushes backward into the door marked "maintenance".

If it succeeds, I'll leave a pair of holograms waiting at the door to keep them occupied while me and (hopefully) Ernest run off and out of sight.

(-10 Energy)
[Subterfuge 3+1] [Canniness 4] A rush of silver flakes fly off of your suit as you make a truly lame excuse and bolt for the maintenance door.  The silver flakes glitter in the hair, glowing until two duplicates of yourself dance to life.
A brief look of actual surprise crosses the other woman's face as you suddenly triple. Still, she responds with remarkable resolve."Hey, wait," she calls out in surprise, standing up suddenly behind the desk. "You can't go back there! Any of you!"
Your face flushes beneath the armor as you twist the door handle to find it resolutely locked. Yeah, duh. That was probably to be expected. You could try to break through, but...

Ernest

Ernest sights quiet, pinching the bridge of his nose while mumbling something about amateurs...

Bend down as though tying a shoe lace, making sure the ticket lady is occupied with the holograms and failed to notice Akira going through maintenance. If so, quietly follow her through.

If not, bullshit the ticket lady with a sob story about being a maintenance guy called in on my day off at "MEC-con", wishes for some "goddamn overtime" and that I'm stuck with someone as socially-inept as Akira for a partner. Then follow Akira.

[Subterfuge 2] [Canniness 3] The woman in the ticket booth seems very confused, but she nods slowly. "O-okay... Yeah, they don't really give a shit for schedules. That's... a cool outfit though."

[Observation 4+1] Yep. She's reaching for something under her desk. Probably some kind of panic button.

Spoiler: Akira Nagamoto (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jamie Walters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ernest Quinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adam Jones (click to show/hide)
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 11:03:20 am »

"One sec bro, that eye rig looks pretty damn sweet!"

Walk out the truck and spray the gang dudes with SMG fire until they are all dead or incapacitated. Take careful care not to aim at the head of the chick with the cyberware.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:07:40 am by vishdafish »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 11:18:53 am »

"Craap. Give me a second..."

Without any tools, there's really not much that can be done. Removing the Medi-aid connection and putting the connection hub back in place could stop the alerts from going out. Try to figure out if that's possible.

Adam hears the gangster jump out, and start shooting. "What the hell..."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 12:20:16 pm »

Grab the lady by the arm, pulling her off balance enough that she can't reach the button

"Listen, lady, I've had a long-ass day babysitting this loon," gestures over his shoulder toward Akira. "just take us to the problem so I can go home."

Lean in so only she can hear the next bit:

"You better be reaching for the keys to the door, sweetheart, else I might have to break your arm."

Squeeze her arm tightly to illustrate the point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 01:37:50 pm »

"Whoops, didn't mean to hit that button so early. I think we'll have to kill her. Can't afford to let things slip loose." she says with an alarming level of excitement in her voice.

Now... assuming the holograms have the same force screen technology as the force screen itself... run one of the holograms into the maintenance door. See if it just passes through.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:04 pm »

Ernest blinks, glancing toward Akira, and says to the ticket lady:

"Heck, I might even take the crazy bitch up on that offer."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 11:17:30 pm »

Ernest

Grab the lady by the arm, pulling her off balance enough that she can't reach the button

"Listen, lady, I've had a long-ass day babysitting this loon," gestures over his shoulder toward Akira. "just take us to the problem so I can go home."

Lean in so only she can hear the next bit:

"You better be reaching for the keys to the door, sweetheart, else I might have to break your arm."

Squeeze her arm tightly to illustrate the point.
Ernest blinks, glancing toward Akira, and says to the ticket lady:

"Heck, I might even take the crazy bitch up on that offer."

[Intimidate 8+2] [Resistance 2-1] The woman's eyes roll back in her head as you and Akira ball the idea of cold-blooded murder back and forth. "P-p-please! I don't wanna die!" Bawling obscures most of the rest of what she says, but you gather that it's in the same vein of pleading for her life and swearing that she won't tell anyone that you were ever here if you just let her live. She produces the keys shakily, fumbling the action of passing them to you and dropping them with a clatter on the booth counter instead.

Akira

"Whoops, didn't mean to hit that button so early. I think we'll have to kill her. Can't afford to let things slip loose." she says with an alarming level of excitement in her voice.

Now... assuming the holograms have the same force screen technology as the force screen itself... run one of the holograms into the maintenance door. See if it just passes through.

The hologram hits the door and flattens, becoming two dimensional as it presses up against the surface. The silver dust that came off your suit is clearly physical, and it's what's actually physically projecting the hologram. Unlike the force screens, the hologram has no physical presence, outside of the minimal weight of the silver dust.

On the one hand, the fact that there is a physical projection medium means that your suit isn't projecting the holograms constantly, which implies that the holograms will be able to continue to operate outside your line of sight. The bad news is that they can be physically disrupted (as evidenced by the door) and that they'll only last as long as the dust that's generating them can hold the charge it siphoned from your suit.

Adam

"Craap. Give me a second..."

Without any tools, there's really not much that can be done. Removing the Medi-aid connection and putting the connection hub back in place could stop the alerts from going out. Try to figure out if that's possible.

Adam hears the gangster jump out, and start shooting. "What the hell..."

[Mechanics 10+2] If you had an hour, a full toolkit, and a computer capable of interfacing with the hub, you could probably figure out a way to block it from sending the emergency alert signal, either by blocking its ability to receive signals from the medical implant or by blocking its access to the emergency channels. However, as it stands, you don't have any of that. Hell, even if you just had device capable of interfacing with it you could try and slave the physical hub to a virtual access point where you could DMZ out all connections except for the Traffic authority.  But that would still require five minutes and a device capable of...

Quick as the thought, a silver bump forms in the arm of your strike suit, snaking out to connect to the hub. In seconds, more information than you knew how to ask for is streaming across your HUD. Navigation might be a little tricky at first, but this should do assuming you can get a little bit of quiet time to focu-

Right on queue, your partner opens fire on a random crowd of pedestrians.

Jamie
"One sec bro, that eye rig looks pretty damn sweet!"

Walk out the truck and spray the gang dudes with SMG fire until they are all dead or incapacitated. Take careful care not to aim at the head of the chick with the cyberware.

Time slows down as you swing the door of the truck open. The lead member of the gang spreads his arms wide, showing a conspicuously large sidearm in a sloppily adjusted shoulder holster. "Man, you ain't Tao. Where is th-"
The woman raises her eyes from the ground. She looks at you, straight at you. Despite everything you've been through, despite everything you've seen, there's something about that eyeless stare that sends shivers down your spine. She says two singsong words before you open fire. "Stranger danger."

[Accuracy 5+2] (10 Damage) The first burst, fired from surprise, interrupts the speaking ganger with a faceful of lead. He staggers backwards pitifully, briefly a marionette of short circuiting nerves as his body imitates a headless chicken.  [Jamie Reaction: 6] [Ganger Reactions: 7 9 9] The woman's warning, however, seems to be enough to galvanize the other gangers into action.

[Ganger Accuracy: 10-1, 3-1, 7-1] They scatter backwards, firing pistols in reckless abandon. Bullets hit the food truck, but several of them do hit you. (Max damage worse than min reduction) but the small arms rounds utterly fail to penetrate your armor. Two of the gangers take cover behind a trash bin, and another attempts to hide behind the slim profile a street light.

[Accuracy 7+2] (9 Damage) A spray of bullets from your SMG riddles the ganger behind the lightpole with holes, dropping him almost instantly.

The utter uselessness of their firearms against your armor, and the ruthless efficiency with which you gunned down their compatriot and their spokesman breaks the will of the remaining two. They bolt.

They woman, meanwhile, simply continues staring at you. [Perception 3] She's holding something she wasn't before, but it's too well tucked up in her hands to see what it is.

Spoiler: Akira Nagamoto (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jamie Walters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ernest Quinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adam Jones (click to show/hide)
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 11:31:03 pm »

Akira giggles at the sight of a flattened strike suit, then glances at her heads-up-display.
"Mmmmmm... hey you, whatchyamacallit... Sleepyhead?" Akira asks Sleepwalker. "How to we get more power? This energy bar ain't recharging."

See if there's a crack underneath the doors that I can force the dust through. If not, just unlock it and send both holos through. Does the hologram have its own video feed?

She turns to Ernest. "I say we make em think we're going through the maintenance shafts, and go through the normal way ourselves. Ask the nice lady to open... no, how to open the force screens."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:13:40 am by _DivideByZero_ »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:28 pm »

Ernest flashes the ticket lady the most ingratiating smile he can muster.

"Thanks lady! And remember: I'm real good at remembering faces, so if I so much as smell security or a cop, I'll come back for you!"

Grab the keys and toss them over to Akira

She turns to Ernest. "I say we make em think we're going through the maintenance shafts, and go through the normal way ourselves. Ask the nice lady to open... no, how to open the force screens."

"Other way around," he says, shaking his head. "fewer people in maintenance  means fewer complications. Anyway, this ain't a mall, they won't keep cameras on the staff, there's nothing to steal back there."

Ernest pushes on the force screen enough to make them open, gesturing toward the blubbering ticket lady. "She ain't gonna be able to do shit either way. Send your little light things through, they might cause enough of a distraction for us."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:27 am »

"What the fuck are you doing, man? I'm doing all this to keep the cops offa us. Get in!"

Adam would ignore his partner's killing spree, instead getting the truck prepped and ready to move. As soon as that stupid gangbanger jumps in, he steps on it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2016, 12:17:47 am »

"Other way around," he says, shaking his head. "fewer people in maintenance  means fewer complications. Anyway, this ain't a mall, they won't keep cameras on the staff, there's nothing to steal back there."

Ernest pushes on the force screen enough to make them open, gesturing toward the blubbering ticket lady. "She ain't gonna be able to do shit either way. Send your little light things through, they might cause enough of a distraction for us."

"B-but that's what they think we'll do!"

"FINE! But take her driver's license so we know her home address." She remembers one more thing: "And her money! Um... stick it in a magazine holder or something."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2016, 05:34:10 am »

Look at the woman inquisitively while saying: "Hmm...your not half bad... for a woman at least. Right now I need some lieutenants, it seems you have no lack of skill and pretty good influence, join me and we can rise to glory together.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:38:56 am by vishdafish »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:01 am »

Look at the woman inquisitively while saying: "Hmm...your not half bad... for a woman at least. Right now I need some lieutenants, it seems you have no lack of skill and pretty good influence, join me and we can rise to glory together.

Her face remains fixed on yours, her eyeless gaze not deviating by a millimeter. "Thank you, Mr. Walters, but I am the demon that I know."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:42 am »

Jamie looks confused.
"Demon? What are you on about? You joinin' me or not?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8