Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability  (Read 11275 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

"To feel is to be alive, and to be alive is to feel! Enhance your life today with new NeuroDex NC-Shunt, now with a 42% reduction in migraine headaches and dendrite necrosis as compared to the next leading brand, all with a 13% increase in emotion stimulation! Feel what you've been missing, feel alive!" -NeuroDex advert

Making things better for less effort has been the driving goal of technology since, well, since man started trying to harness fire. If you really think about it, everything we have ever done falls into one of two categories: an endeavor of power, or an endeavor of laziness. While the crowning achievement in that great effort isn't even old enough to drink yet, the seeds were first set in the 1950s when a group of scientists wired electrodes into the pleasure centers of a rat brain, and those seeds began to grow deep within the earth in the 1970s when the experiments were replicated with humans. Simple idea: stick a wire in part of the monkey brain that makes the monkey brain light up nicely, then charge the wire. Monkey hoots in excitement. Press the button more, monkey hoots more. Everybody loves to shock the monkey. Fuck you, Peter Gabriel, you prescient dead bastard.

When the first Civ models came out for neuro-stimulators, 2050-ish (I was in prison at the time, so my facts are a bit fuzzy), all sorts of hullabaloo went up. Not surprising, considering that all earlier studies showed that people and rats would both rather press the pleasure button than eat, drink, screw, or shoot heroin. One supreme court case later, emotion stimulation through artificial means was made illegal, but one little provision was made: emotion augmentation was still totally legal. Talk about closing a mousehole and opening the barn door. Didn't take long for the products to roll out, all designed to enhance some naturally occurring feelings and minimize others. Got some damn good press; plummeting suicide rates, artificially induced resting states for recovery patients, natural adrenal doping for improved athletic performance, miracle weight loss through altered dopamine rewards. You'd have though Jesus came down from heaven with free hookers and an open bar pass for all the fuss people were making. You want broccoli to give you the same level of pleasure rush as tearing into a juicy steak? You got it! You want to be able to genuinely laugh at the same three shitty jokes your step-brother cracks every fucking thanksgiving? No problem. You want the sloppy, sweaty, overweight, five minute sex you have with your girlfriend to feel like you're banging God's prettier sister on a cloud made from cocaine and satisfaction? Done, just make sure to wear those rubbers boys and girls!

Disgusting.

If I'm being honest, it really didn't matter much to me at first. Stupid people do stupid things. Stupid people with more cash than sense do REALLY stupid things. I was solidly part of the underclass when I got out of prison, and I joined the underworks in laughing at those stuck-up pricks with wires in their eyes drooling with pleasure because they just huffed a kitten with their enhancer turned up to eleven. Looked pretty goddamn stupid, and it just made them dumber, slower, and way easier to rob. Thing is, the damn units started to get cheap, cheap enough that even scum of the earth like me and mine could buy low end models. That's when shit got bad. I had a friend with a bit of a meth habit. Man had scabs and sores, teeth like a goddamn nightmare, and the kind of twitches you usually only see on taser victims. He was also goddamn funny, a solid friend when he wasn't jonesing for a hit, and a decent human being underneath the  scars his father gave him life that he'd let crush him. He gave up the meth habit after he bought the Model S from NeuroDex. He said he didn't need it anymore. Little while after that he gave up his talking habit. Guess that was getting in the way of his time with his rig.  His sister found him about a week after that, rig engaged and his hand down his sweats. Judging by the way he'd looked, his eating and breathing habit had been getting in the way of his jollies too.

Still, time marches on, and her casualties get ground to dust beneath the jackboot of progress. Maybe people would have thrown more of a fuss, but throwing a fuss is unpleasant, being afraid is unpleasant, getting angry is only pleasant when you don't have to actually do or change anything. Better to not let those unpleasant emotions bother you too much, right? E-enhancers were everywhere. Companies paid millions to get the right blends to keep their employees at the optimal levels of active, alert, and satisfied. Politicians... goddamn politicians. Before I became... whatever it is I am now- criminal, revolutionary, terrorist, FuckIfIKnow- I went to a political debate. It was like a goddamn dream, a nightmare of everything I'd joked about and derided in highschool about pigs and sheeple. One speaker took the stage, pyrotechnics flared, people screamed in ecstatic awe. He spoke, patriotic music swelling behind him, each note exquisitely planned. Christ, I'd never been jacked in and I felt like a rousing surge of pride at that music. There aren't words to describe the reactions of the others. They frothed at the mouth, they screamed, they clawed at the air and chanted.  When the speaker stopped and the hush came, they slowed and came to a stupefied halt, glassy eyed and drooling as their overloaded bodies finally came to rest.  Then the next speaker took the stage. Another burst of pyrotechnics. Another euphoric surge. Another surge of patriotic music to accompany meaningless words. I saw a woman scream until blood flecked her lips.

The men and women on stage could have been make airplane noises with their lips and they would have gotten the same effect. They weren't competing based on policy, they were competing to see who could invoke the most emotion, whose music had the best sub-hypnotics embedded. That was the day I decided this had to end. That I had to do something. Yeah, freedom is freedom, people have the right to choose how they live and all that bullshit, but there are times when a man needs to take a stand for what he believes in. I'm a pretty shitty man to make that statement, once a convict, now a murderer, arsonist, and terrorist, but I cannot stand by. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is all well and good, but people have more than a right, they have a goddamn need to be unhappy sometimes.

You're in 2070s America, a point in time where Emotion Modification technology has reached a critical point. By and large, the public is accepting of the technology, and its use is prevalent everywhere from schools, to drug-dens, to military strike teams. It doesn't create feelings, but it can either enhance or suppress any existing emotions.

As to who you are, you're just an every joe or jane. Perhaps you're a salary man eeking out his bit of blood from the corporate stone, perhaps you're a neon goth partying away daddy's money with glowstix and blood, perhaps you're a student trying to find your place in this brave new world. It doesn't particularly matter, just show some thought.

As far the cyberpunk goes, be reasonable with what you have, but have a little fun defining yourself.

Your appearance, personality, and bio will determine your stats and any special abilities, so do be aware.

If you're struggling to figure out what goal these characters will be striving towards, that's fine. They'll figure that out pretty quickly, or die. Just focus on making fun people.

Spoiler:  Character 'Sheet' (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:09:03 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 0/4]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 05:49:14 pm »

Name: Jim Nix
Description: Short, very stocky, with a messy brown mullet. 
Bio: A hard working but unambitious man since the day he was born, Jim wanted nothing more than to make a living, have a family, enjoy life as simply as possible.  Manual labour was his forte, working in construction, logging, mining, anything requiring a hell of a lot of elbow grease and a solid disposition.  When emotional adjustment started springing up, he immediately became wary, seeing it as unnecessary and reprehensible intrusion into what was previously a steady, honest existence.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 06:13:28 pm »

Been waiting for something like this.

EDIT: Actually, I came up with a better idea (IMO).

Spoiler: New Character. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EDIT: Old character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:23:46 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »

Name: Ernest Quinn
Description: Athletic man of average height, short black hair
Bio:Ernest's grew up with a father that provided a perfect example. A perfect example of what Ernest didn't want to be: hard drinking, heavy partying, unemployed criminal wastrel. Heck, if you're going to rob people at least put some thought into it, pops.

He presently works as rent-a-cop security at a shopping mall. If daddy taught him anything, the easiest scores were to be had by those who had everything to lose by fighting back. Forgetful little old ladies, soccer moms and pathetic petty thieves were easy money.

Hey, even if somebody did have the intestinal fortitude to tell on him, who are the cops gonna believe? The scumbag that tried to steal a hundred bucks worth of kids underwear, or the rent-a-cop eking out a hard living stopping these "scumbags"?

Even so, Ernest finds this life is getting less and less fulfilling as time goes on. He wants- no, needs more excitement in his life. Bigger scores, maybe even bigger risks. Maybe this emotional augmentation racket has something to it...

Edited a bit in, need to get the "asshole" across :))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:21:21 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »

Name: Jamie Walters
Description: A tall, strong man with sinewy muscles and a lean figure. He has short, black hair in a crewcut and pale, blue eyes.  (6foot3 and is 30 years old)
Bio: Jamie was a high-school dropout and general thug. His parents, unhappy with his academic progress, kicked him out of the house. Alone with no money and no skills to speak of, Jamie joined the local gang.

There he excelled, putting his toned physique and cunning to good use. After he was sent on a mission to fight with a rival gang, Jamie discovered a military E-enhancer, unavailable to the civilian market, that was in the process of being smuggled to god-knows-where. Jamie slipped it in his pocket before anyone found out about it. Later that week, he went to a back-alley surgeon who, fortunately, installed the E-enhancer without any problems.

Making use of his augmented abilites, Jamie quickly rose up the ranks. By 10 years, he was made the "Big Boss" of [city]. Unfortunately, after the 2069 crackdown on gangs, most of his gang was destroyed. Left with his "inner circle", his most trusted and hardened members, Jamie vows to take revenge on the government for the killings of his comrades.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:11:24 am by vishdafish »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »

[sheet incoming, eventually]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:16:27 pm »

Spoiler: Ocean Mei (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 12:09:35 am »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 03:11:34 am »

ptw
Black lives matter.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 3/4]
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:35:56 am »

Akira (Though I actually liked the old one a little better, to be honest), Ernest, and Jamie are in. The fourth, well, we'll see about that when I get finished writing up the turn.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 11:19:55 am »

Akira (Though I actually liked the old one a little better, to be honest), Ernest, and Jamie are in. The fourth, well, we'll see about that when I get finished writing up the turn.

How much better, like, slightly or much better? I have the old sheet still, I save all my RTD characters.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:45:11 pm »

How much better, like, slightly or much better? I have the old sheet still, I save all my RTD characters.

Like it would have been nice to have a character who could show the things that go right with E-enhancers, but Akira is already statted up, and I'd rather have happy players.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »

PTW
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8