Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387904 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18585 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »

Hope you like dead trees.
Russia has, like, stupid amount of trees spread across several different climactic belts. Besides, what's the relationship between dead trees and climate change?
Much of Russia's trees are dependent upon the permafrost layer to live. Its rapid destruction will result in a mass die-off, which aside from the normal host of problems that this causes will also probably trigger mass desertification and collapse the local ecosystem entirely.
Ah, okay then, I guess I was misinformed, this sure sucks.

Well, at least I know who to blame for that. USA and China, that is, for ignoring climate change regulations that were adhered to by mostly everyone, including Russia, for the sake of their oh-so-precious "economic growth"!
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: January 27, 2017, 06:56:34 pm »

Hope you like dead trees.
Russia has, like, stupid amount of trees spread across several different climactic belts. Besides, what's the relationship between dead trees and climate change?
Much of Russia's trees are dependent upon the permafrost layer to live. Its rapid destruction will result in a mass die-off, which aside from the normal host of problems that this causes will also probably trigger mass desertification and collapse the local ecosystem entirely.
Ah, okay then, I guess I was misinformed, this sure sucks.

Well, at least I know who to blame for that. USA and China, that is, for ignoring climate change regulations that were adhered to by mostly everyone, including Russia, for the sake of their oh-so-precious "economic growth"!

China has to reduce emissions though, because they're literally choking on smog in the cities.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »

China's actually doing a very good job pulling back emissions. The US was doing passably in spite of my eco extremism until Trump hit office. Hopefully his idiotic attachment to coal will cause a backlash when it inevitably fails (coal's economics are permanently in the hole, it's like horses vs. cars).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:27 pm »

Which, in a Trumpian Memeonic world, must mean that China are, indeed, 'cucks'. I do believe there is supposed to be a 'kek' in there, but I have not quite learned the syntax yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: January 27, 2017, 07:05:24 pm »

China's actually doing a very good job pulling back emissions. The US was doing passably in spite of my eco extremism until Trump hit office. Hopefully his idiotic attachment to coal will cause a backlash when it inevitably fails (coal's economics are permanently in the hole, it's like horses vs. cars).

Or horses vs machines in general (though that took some time), though they did find niches, nothing majorly economic though, unless you count horseraces.

Doubt coal would be able to find a niche because it pretty much only does one thing well.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:53 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/21/trump-had-a-huge-luxurious-inauguration-cake-was-it-plagiarized/?utm_term=.70f17407557c

the cake was a lie and a lazy copy. isn't that just a wonderful metaphor.

I saw that earlier and those that made it were like 'But it's a homage, or something', and apparently the Trump people (and most likely Trump himself) wanted the same cake that Obama had. Can't fault him for liking the design and wanting to use it. A few articles said it was a 'controversey', but it's a non-controversey and the original designer didn't appear to care much that it was copied, seemed to be appreciated by it.

You know, 'mimicry is the highest form of flattery', as the saying goes I believe.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: January 27, 2017, 07:24:22 pm »

Or horses vs machines in general (though that took some time), though they did find niches, nothing majorly economic though, unless you count horseraces.

Doubt coal would be able to find a niche because it pretty much only does one thing well.

Races and certain types of mixed farming and forest industry, oddly. They do have a lot of different uses still, although it depends on the industry type. Pulp forest or one of those semi-automatic ring-farms, less so. That said, that is in the Nordic region, I am not sure if there has been a similar horse revival in North America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/21/trump-had-a-huge-luxurious-inauguration-cake-was-it-plagiarized/?utm_term=.70f17407557c

BUT URBARMURS CAEK WAS FAEK TO U LIBRUL, would likely the cry go. But goodness me, is that a hideous contraption? No wonder it is a false cake, that thing could never stand upright were it a natural construction.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: January 27, 2017, 07:24:57 pm »

I saw that earlier and those that made it were like 'But it's a homage, or something', and apparently the Trump people (and most likely Trump himself) wanted the same cake that Obama had. Can't fault him for liking the design and wanting to use it. A few articles said it was a 'controversey', but it's a non-controversey and the original designer didn't appear to care much that it was copied, seemed to be appreciated by it.

You know, 'mimicry is the highest form of flattery', as the saying goes I believe.

Good to see that Washington Post is going after the important things. Cake designs need to be protected for the life of the baker + 80 years, minimum.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: January 27, 2017, 07:30:13 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: January 27, 2017, 07:31:43 pm »

Ferex: The EpiPen fiasco is not solely capitalism's fault. Yes, yes, a competitive system that rewards immoral decisions, I get that. But in this case it wouldn't have happened if the approval agency hadn't established a monopoly for EpiPen.

I recognize that even anarchists can reasonably advocate for more laws - within the state system, it's better to have laws that protect the people and limit the other oppressive institutions. But leftists can make bad laws too.

As I understand it, the makers of EpiPen decided to get greedy as their patent ran out.  They put short term profits ahead of long term profits.  They are probably about to pay the price for their rash behavior as a generic automated adrenaline administration device is hitting the market and I expect that everyone will quickly dump purchases of EpiPen and have 0 brand loyalty.

As I understand it, Coal is still about the cheapest way to heat things up in the middle-term.  Nuclear has never come close to beating it (only beating it in up-time and acid-rain production).  Natural Gas might be cheaper than coal right now, but that is largely a US thing tied to the inability to ship natural gas over-seas.  When a LNG port comes online the price for natural gas in the US will probably go up to more in line with oil while the world price will come down.  Oil has never been as cheap as coal; we mainly use it in internal combustion engines.  Wind and solar are less energy dense (Solar is about 1kW/m^2 times the efficiency of your solar cell and the percentage of day-light.  So a 10MW solar plant has a minimum size of 100mx100m of solar panels.  Looking it up on the internet, one in Australia takes up 80 hectares.  A 10MW wind turbine has a rotor diameter of 140m.  A 10MW nuclear plant is 22×16×11 m, and most of that is shielding.).
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:07 pm »

And Nuke plants take DECADES to plan and build, and theres only a limited number of places to put them because of NIMBY-ism, not to mention dealing with the nuclear waste, which none of the other power sources have to deal with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: January 27, 2017, 07:40:36 pm »

Races and certain types of mixed farming and forest industry, oddly.
Also food. Don't forget food.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: January 27, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »

And glue. RIP Boxer
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:20 pm »

Only at the end of a productive life, if I have my say. I do not at all want good food to go to waste, but I want to know what is in my lasanga. Well, until it becomes an alternative lasanga, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1249