Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387912 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18570 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »

I wonder if some day we get to try it out for ourselves because, technically speaking, Russia is going to be affected the least by the climate change, in fact it could be even positive for us.... ahhh, sweet dreams.

Enjoy your permafrost turning into mosquito infested swamps. If you're really unlucky some prehistoric variant of the bubonic plague will awaken from hibernation as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: January 27, 2017, 06:22:35 pm »

Ecology disruption is never a benefit.
[citation needed]

Hope you like dead trees.
Russia has, like, stupid amount of trees spread across several different climactic belts. Besides, what's the relationship between dead trees and climate change?

I wonder if some day we get to try it out for ourselves because, technically speaking, Russia is going to be affected the least by the climate change, in fact it could be even positive for us.... ahhh, sweet dreams.

Enjoy your permafrost turning into mosquito infested swamps. If you're really unlucky some prehistoric variant of the bubonic plague will awaken from hibernation as well.
We've got the biggest, baddest biological warfare force on the planet, I'm sure we'll be able to handle stuff like that.
._.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: January 27, 2017, 06:23:33 pm »

I also doubt that Russia will benefit from fossil fuel depletion.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: January 27, 2017, 06:24:02 pm »

Drain the Swamp. Make Yakutsk Great Again.

I also doubt that Russia will benefit from fossil fuel depletion.
Natural gas will just start bubbling out of the ground in Yakutsk when the frost melts. The Russians will have a party about that, but I don't think the rest of the world is going to be too please when trillions of tons of Siberian methane start bubbling away.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:26:20 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: January 27, 2017, 06:24:12 pm »

And you've already had a massive heatwave up there, with fire even.

BTW, you're closer to the pole than we are (with the exception of Alaska). Enjoy the loss of ice protecting your subs, muahahaha. (yes, I know it makes almost no difference at all).

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: January 27, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »

Actually, due to permafrost melting, pockets of methane are being released in Siberia. Explosively sometimes.

Well, these places may become more habitable though so technically its a net benefit for Russia.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: January 27, 2017, 06:26:20 pm »

Actually, due to permafrost melting, pockets of methane are being released in Siberia. Explosively sometimes.

Well, these places may become more habitable though so technically its a net benefit for Russia.

Explosively? Proof? I know methane explodes, but just asking. mainly I just want to see how big the craters are, heh

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: January 27, 2017, 06:29:37 pm »

Hope you like dead trees.
Russia has, like, stupid amount of trees spread across several different climactic belts. Besides, what's the relationship between dead trees and climate change?
Much of Russia's trees are dependent upon the permafrost layer to live. Its rapid destruction will result in a mass die-off, which aside from the normal host of problems that this causes will also probably trigger mass desertification and collapse the local ecosystem entirely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: January 27, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: January 27, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »

I would imagine that the last thing Siberia could want would be an extension of the Mud Season. Surely.

Speaking of, people tend to talk rather lively about the new possibilities to grow grapes and establish wineries in new locations. There is less eagerness to talk of all the wine-producing areas that will disappear.

These things costs something.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: January 27, 2017, 06:32:17 pm »

You want a big crater from methane explosions and melting permafrost?

See that treeline on that cliff? That's the original level of the ground in this area in the 1960s. Because of warming the entire ground itself is continuously collapsing and the locals report frequent explosion sounds. All the foreground (left picture) was actually underground for millienia. This thing is just growing now eating the whole region.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:37:43 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: January 27, 2017, 06:34:14 pm »

If Russia could tap that methane somehow...... Sounds like a dwarfy project.

edit: Underwater versions, cool. (Not in a 'cool-I-want-the-world-to-end way, cool in a SCIENCE! way)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: January 27, 2017, 06:39:45 pm »

IDK, to tap the methane at that scale sounds like machinery etc is not the way to go about it. e.g. if we had methane-eating soil microbes or could engineer inert microbes that eat methane, then that would probably be far more cost-effective and practical even in a scientific sense than trying to capture it with technological solutions. It's just seeping out of the ground everywhere, so there are few points to concentrate on. So a biotech solution that binds the methane into the soil as carbon would be best.

When they say Siberia has permafrost, they don't mean like some layer of ice/snow on top, like what people would normally think of, they mean the entire ground itself is held up by a mix of ice, rock and soil. Which is why entire large chunks of the land itself are collapsing now. Ice got packed into the sediments itself over millions of years, then trees and things grew on top of that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:47:52 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: January 27, 2017, 06:46:02 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't being serious about tapping it, was just thinking it might be a dwarfy thing to do, or take advantage of.

Anyways, the same thing is happening in Alaska. Not sure about the methane explosions, but the permafrost is definetly melting up there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:54:33 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1249