Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388016 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: 2016, Version 2.0
« Reply #17400 on: January 14, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »

They're both terrible, just in different ways.

We really shouldn't be joking about assassinating anybody, as much as we hate Trump :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17401 on: January 14, 2017, 09:32:05 pm »

Eh I sorta like Pence more then Trump and I know the GOP does too, Trump has little to no allies yet somehow hes going to turn America into a facist dictatorship.

I think it's interesting the way that Trump has crossed some invisible line that makes people conclude that abandoning democratic and peaceful traditions for him would be justified. Is that just normal discontent that I've never noticed (other than the general silliness around President Obama), or something new?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17402 on: January 14, 2017, 09:34:13 pm »

We really shouldn't be joking about assassinating anybody, as much as we hate Trump :P
I don't hate Trump. And I'm not joking about being worried about assassination attempts. Its a thing I seriously fear might happen.

Also, taking bets on whether or not Obama ends up pardoning Hillary for the crimes she supposedly didn't commit before Trump takes office?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17403 on: January 14, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »

Eh I sorta like Pence more then Trump and I know the GOP does too, Trump has little to no allies yet somehow hes going to turn America into a facist dictatorship.

I think it's interesting the way that Trump has crossed some invisible line that makes people conclude that abandoning democratic and peaceful traditions for him would be justified. Is that just normal discontent that I've never noticed (other than the general silliness around President Obama), or something new?

Some of it seems to be coming from the hyperpartianship and the massive forced release after such a contentous election. Though the harsher stuff does seem new, largely due to the nature of Trump himself.

Also, taking bets on whether or not Obama ends up pardoning Hillary for the crimes she supposedly didn't commit before Trump takes office?

I don't think the Presidential pardons work that way. Then again, Ford did that to Nixon.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17404 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »

I don't think the Presidential pardons work that way. Then again, Ford did that to Nixon.
So basically, YES that is exactly how they work and they have been used that way in the past :P

Indeed, I do this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17405 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:19 pm »

So basically, YES that is exactly how they work and they have been used that way in the past :P

It's not how they're usually done though. Seems like something too politically charged to do, even as a last minute thing, but a pardon isn't going to change public opinion. At least not neccesarily in a positive way.

BOTH sides were angry at Nixon, pardoning Clinton would be pure partianship.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:50:09 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17406 on: January 14, 2017, 09:49:18 pm »

I don't hate Trump. And I'm not joking about being worried about assassination attempts. Its a thing I seriously fear might happen.

I do hate Trump in a distant way, in the same way I hate other people who have used their great personal powers to advance themselves at the expense of others. Nonetheless, I, too, am concerned about an assassination attempt because no presidential assassinations have slain the vice president at the same time, and a President Pence is a terrifying potentiality to ponder.

BFEL, I really wish you cared one tenth as much about the president-elect's repeated and public bragging about sexual assault, tax fraud, and contract violations as you do about the failed opposition candidate's now-cleared legal issues.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17407 on: January 14, 2017, 09:52:33 pm »

Well, if you look at situation from those people's eyes, it's justified, because if they don't, then they'll lose said democratic and peaceful traditions anyway because Trump is a Russian puppet and will enforce a brutal dictatorship. As in Star Wars, the best way to make people abandon their freedom with happiness and cheers is to create an image of a deadly threat that will make them lose both freedom and safety. Not the first time it happened in recent American history, too - Bush did it with the PATRIOT act.

Isn't it still in full force, BTW, with zero mainstream politicians promising to repeal it?
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17408 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »

why are they called 'secret'? It's like using the word 'secret' in an oxymoronically way because while they are as secretive as any government agency, they certainly aren't secret

Originally, the Secret Service was nothing more than the police arm of the Department of the Treasury, formed specifically to infiltrate and eliminate the counterfeiting groups that were causing serious harm to the currency (some reports estimated that one out of every two bills was fake) after the Civil War. To do this, they worked in plainclothes and undercover, and it was intended that nobody knew who was in the USSS. Hence, the designation "secret". It wasn't until 1902 that they took over Presidential Protection as a major function, and PP remains their secondary mission.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17409 on: January 14, 2017, 09:56:07 pm »

>Well, if you look at situation from those people's eyes, it's justified, because if they don't, then they'll lose said democratic and peaceful traditions anyway because Trump is a Russian puppet and will enforce a brutal dictatorship.

> As in Star Wars, the best way to make people abandon their freedom with happiness and cheers is to create an image of a deadly threat that will make them lose both freedom and safety.

You've literally been using Russia as a big scary force to justify a dictatorship

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:01:01 pm by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17410 on: January 14, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »

>Well, if you look at situation from those people's eyes, it's justified, because if they don't, then they'll lose said democratic and peaceful traditions anyway because Trump is a Russian puppet and will enforce a brutal dictatorship.

> As in Star Wars, the best way to make people abandon their freedom with happiness and cheers is to create an image of a deadly threat that will make them lose both freedom and safety.

You're literally using Russia as a big scary force to justify a dictatorship earlier

I actually lol'd at the irony there (because Sergarr is Russian).

As for the PATRIOT act thing, it's still around, though modified and I'm not sure how much of it is still actually around.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17411 on: January 14, 2017, 10:00:52 pm »

BFEL, I really wish you cared one tenth as much about the president-elect's repeated and public bragging about sexual assault, tax fraud, and contract violations as you do about the failed opposition candidate's now-cleared legal issues.
And I really wish people like you would actually listen to what he said instead of jumping on the Trump bashing bandwagon.

By the "sexual assault" I assume you mean the grab them by the pussy comment? Yeah, the comment was that women LET him do that. I.E. consensually.
He wasn't just running around groping people, he was saying that women threw themselves at him cuz of his money.

By "tax fraud" do you mean the thing about him using the "loophole" to get money back from losses? The thing that every other politician in the fucking US uses? The thing HILLARY uses? The thing *I* use cuz gas is goddamn expensive when driving is part of your job?

As for contract violations I'm not aware of any specific instances, so...I guess its your move there?

Indeed, I do this.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17412 on: January 14, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »

As for the PATRIOT act thing, it's still around, though modified and I'm not sure how much of it is still actually around.

just remove it all
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17413 on: January 14, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »

The real irony is that nobody is willing to accept that Sergarr has been posting nothing but trolling in this thread for months. It'd be beautiful if the derails weren't so annoying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17414 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:08 pm »

And I really wish people like you would actually listen to what he said instead of jumping on the Trump bashing bandwagon.

By the "sexual assault" I assume you mean the grab them by the pussy comment? Yeah, the comment was that women LET him do that. I.E. consensually.
He wasn't just running around groping people, he was saying that women threw themselves at him cuz of his money.

By "tax fraud" do you mean the thing about him using the "loophole" to get money back from losses? The thing that every other politician in the fucking US uses? The thing HILLARY uses? The thing *I* use cuz gas is goddamn expensive when driving is part of your job?

As for contract violations I'm not aware of any specific instances, so...I guess its your move there?
his repeated jiping of people he employed to do work for him i assume. he constantly refuses to pay people for work they do for him. also the first thing is not at all what he said. how about YOU go back and listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1249