Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396128 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16035 on: December 20, 2016, 04:18:47 am »

At that point I think european countries start threatening to cut trade deals for war crimes. :/
At the very least, US allies will not be pleased if Trump goes to war with Iran, if only because of the billions that are being invested in re-establishing trade with it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16036 on: December 20, 2016, 04:42:05 am »

exclusive footage of the electoral college
https://youtu.be/NJvVEt6F_Xw

When I clicked that link I thought for sure it would be this.
I thought for sure on both accounts that I was about to be Rick Rolled.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16037 on: December 20, 2016, 05:32:37 am »

You do know that this is all empty speculation, right? Especially since Europe, China and Russia would be against the US this time, and not just a little bit.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:07 am »

You do know that this is all empty speculation, right? Especially since Europe, China and Russia would be against the US this time, and not just a little bit.
A lot of people in USA thinks that they can handily win against the entire world, if it was completely united against them. And neoconservatives are among the first ones to say so. The same neocons that invaded Iraq, and the same neocons that are now firmly entrenched in the USA government once again.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16039 on: December 20, 2016, 10:45:50 am »

A lot of people in USA thinks that they can handily win against the entire world, if it was completely united against them. And neoconservatives are among the first ones to say so. The same neocons that invaded Iraq, and the same neocons that are now firmly entrenched in the USA government once again.

We'd put up a hell of a fight though.

At that point I think european countries start threatening to cut trade deals for war crimes. :/
At the very least, US allies will not be pleased if Trump goes to war with Iran, if only because of the billions that are being invested in re-establishing trade with it.

Yeah, the memory of the Iraq war debacle is still relatively fresh in Europe I'm pretty sure. Or rather it keeps getting reopened due to the continued instability in the MidEast.

A war with Iran would also only destabilize the MidEast even further.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16040 on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:59 pm »

And then lose among tens of millions dead.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16041 on: December 20, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »

And then lose among tens of millions dead.

If we're talking nukes, that'd be billions on both sides, if no nukes, yes, tens of millions dead, on both sides.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: December 20, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »

Dirty foreign invaders will be resisted to the last man women and child in the heartland of Murrica.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: December 20, 2016, 03:28:01 pm »

Assuming we discount the nukes, I think the USA could win v. all. Not in an "occupy and conquer" way, but we could win.

The biggest element is global trade. Order the Navy and the Air Force to destroy every boat and plane they see that isn't from America. Goodbye economy, goodbye a large chunk of food production.

Land invasions of Canada and Mexico are easily possible, at this point North America is basically secure. Then start mass bombarding random cities.

Continue on like this until the rest of the world starts tearing itself apart.

And this is why Donald Trump represents a problem. I suspect any conflict with Iran would be more of a boat-shooting war than an invasion, but you never know.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: December 20, 2016, 03:30:59 pm »

Dirty foreign invaders will be resisted to the last man women and child in the heartland of Murrica.
* martinuzz vows to take a bath before invading

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: December 20, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »

Getting deep into sillyness and deep into AGG thread and alt-history here, heh.

Assuming we discount the nukes, I think the USA could win v. all. Not in an "occupy and conquer" way, but we could win.

The biggest element is global trade. Order the Navy and the Air Force to destroy every boat and plane they see that isn't from America. Goodbye economy, goodbye a large chunk of food production.

Land invasions of Canada and Mexico are easily possible, at this point North America is basically secure. Then start mass bombarding random cities.

Continue on like this until the rest of the world starts tearing itself apart.

And this is why Donald Trump represents a problem. I suspect any conflict with Iran would be more of a boat-shooting war than an invasion, but you never know.

Yeah, it's not at all clear that Trump would or can exercise restraint in a highly stressful situation. I'm sure he has had stressful deals before, but it's not the same thing while President.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: December 20, 2016, 03:35:15 pm »

No ritual but waving a tiny American flag can wipe away the spiritual taint of EUROPE.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: December 20, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »

We have more guns than people in the USA. A land invasion here is just as inadvisable as one in Asia.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16048 on: December 20, 2016, 03:39:37 pm »

Yeah, it's not at all clear that Trump would or can exercise restraint in a highly stressful situation. I'm sure he has had stressful deals before, but it's not the same thing while President.
I can fully envision him sitting at his special briefcase shouting 'you're fired' every time he launches another nuke, while laughing maniacally. In my mental image he looks like your typical looney tunes big bad wolf villain, and the presidential briefcase looks like a big pulsating red button.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16049 on: December 20, 2016, 03:39:55 pm »

Clean foreign invaders will only be resisted to the second to last man, woman, and child.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1249