Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396022 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16050 on: December 20, 2016, 03:42:21 pm »

We have more guns than people in the USA.
How is demonstrating your nation's inability to count properly supposed to deter the enemy?  ;D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16051 on: December 20, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »

We have more guns than people in the USA. A land invasion here is just as inadvisable as one in Asia.

Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of obese True Americans with .22s and sawed-off shotguns are going to hold off the foreigners despite ten-to-one odds.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16052 on: December 20, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »

<Engaging in silliness while silly>
First off, our navy.  Not to be underestimated, and we have experience fighting submarines on both coasts.
Hopeful secondly: South America, who we are in deep with.  Despite our rhetoric, economics trumps all (no pun intended).

Thirdly:  Have you seen what our restless do to our cops?  Can you even begin to imagine what we'd do to actual, literal, foreign invaders?
The progressive and downtrodden minority would gladly accept surplus AKs from the rural survivalist and tell you unintegrated foreign shits to fuck the hell off.
Not like we have a lack of guns.  And left or right, we defend our democracy.

And all the while, if we lose, you lose.  Thanks to nuclear weapons.
That's... kinda the reason this is all silly.  America can never fall, without nuking literally the world.  Several other countries are similarly immortal.  Save MAD (mutually assured destruction).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: December 20, 2016, 05:18:58 pm »

So, did FearfuJesuit predict the Trump presidential victory?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16054 on: December 20, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »

Around 1 in six to 1 in nine US men below the age of forty are veterans. If literally the entire rest of the world was against us, then yeah we'd lose because economics and material resources; American equipment is better, but not proportionally to how much more money we've spent on it. But if you take any player out of the equation? And it gets much more complicated. Anglosphere would probably be on USA side, so would Mexico and a significant part of South America. Though it depends what sets it off.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16055 on: December 20, 2016, 07:20:28 pm »

That's all aside from the fact that if we get involved in a third conventional world war, then global economics would have been terribly ruined before it even started simply because otherwise there'd be no reason to start the war.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: December 20, 2016, 07:22:53 pm »

Around 1 in six to 1 in nine US men below the age of forty are veterans. If literally the entire rest of the world was against us, then yeah we'd lose because economics and material resources; American equipment is better, but not proportionally to how much more money we've spent on it. But if you take any player out of the equation? And it gets much more complicated. Anglosphere would probably be on USA side, so would Mexico and a significant part of South America. Though it depends what sets it off.

I question whether Mexico would side with us if it was Trump doing the world warring.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: December 20, 2016, 07:44:20 pm »

We have more guns than people in the USA. A land invasion here is just as inadvisable as one in Asia.

Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of obese True Americans with .22s and sawed-off shotguns are going to hold off the foreigners despite ten-to-one odds.

Why is it that you think low caliber rifles aren't dangerous, and that shotguns are more commonly sawed off, for that matter?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: December 20, 2016, 07:55:34 pm »

Yeah, a million individual gun owners trying to play real murrkin hero is the same thing as an army, right?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: December 20, 2016, 07:58:31 pm »

This is the part where I come in and remind you that guerilla warfare is an effective counter to conventional armies.

Whoever posts next, remember to say that a foreign army landing in CONUS is functionally impossible in any circumstances anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: December 20, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

This is the part where I come in and remind you that guerilla warfare is an effective counter to conventional armies.

Whoever posts next, remember to say that a foreign army landing in CONUS is functionally impossible in any circumstances anyway.

"I've got a submarine, you've got gasoline, I don't want to talk about wars between nations"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »

Yeah, a million individual gun owners trying to play real murrkin hero is the same thing as an army, right?
Tell that to the Taliban, who have been happily playing True Afghani Hero since Russia invaded.

It'd probably end up a lot like the revolutionary war. A bunch of Europeans sitting in the cities, getting pot-shotted by redneck hicks with shitty guns who live in the woods off the breadcrumbs stuck in their beards.

Each others beards.

It's not gay if it's an American.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16062 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:21 pm »

"Can I eat your beardcrumbs, baby" does sound like an awesome song title
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: December 20, 2016, 08:57:16 pm »

And guerillia warfare in an urban environment would be nasty.

Anyway, in non-hypothetical stuff, Obama got sneaky and clever and preemptive by banning new oil drilling in federal waters in parts of the Arctic, Pacific, and Atlantic. This isn't through executive order, it's through law and has the force of law. Opponents (AKA oil barons) will definetly try to contest it though.

Politico article has some further details.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:59:23 pm by smjjames »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: December 21, 2016, 12:10:26 am »

The might of the US military armed with guns, planes, ships, tanks, and chemical weapons like napalm and agent orange lost to a bunch of rice farmers with guns and pointed sticks in a sweaty jungle in the 1970s. Do not underestimate a bunch of dudes with guns in hiding.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 1249