Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391046 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12660 on: November 14, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »

My favourite one is being intolerant of people who are intolerant of those who use ironic in an inaccurate fashion, but themselves do not understand when irony is being accurately employed and so attack all who may resemble any form of irony, in common or accurate usage

I remember people complaining because I learned the definition of irony from Alanis's song! They weren't very tolerant* of my false belief in the meaning of the word.

* I think if you want to say 'abiding' you should say 'abiding', guys, instead of 'tolerant,' but I'm not an english nazi. I mean language nazi. Speaking of nazis, if I meet any, I've no intention of tolerating them in any sense of the word 'tolerate.' I won't murder them, either, but not murdering people doesn't mean I'm tolerating them, right? Maybe I'll try to convince them of how sexy all those people are that they hate. For instance, what's not to love about skin that looks permanently tanned without requiring any actual tanning? How could you hate that?
If you aren't actively trying to harm them (not necessarily physically) for their beliefs (if they start pulling some shit, take necessary measures), then you're tolerating them. Or malicious neglect.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: November 14, 2016, 11:29:30 pm »

I would point out parallels with nonhuman objects, specifically the uncanny valley with robots.

This is twofold in reasoning.

1) the evolution of such hate requires dehumanization.

2) the most hated things are those most like ourselves, but also decidedly not like us in some way.
I figure it's essentially along the lines of 'they're so similar to us, they could be right. They could be! If they wanted to. The only reason they don't is to spite us! The bastards!'

Do keep in mind in one's distaste for liberals decrying conservatives that conservatives do it at least as often, they just aren't on social media as much and thus open for the world to gaze at every second of the day.

I have never said otherwise. :)
I'm aware. It was a general word of caution, is all.

Being centrist-man has its pitfalls. I am used to incorrectly leveled accusations from both sides.  I am the worst kind of other there is on such matters. :)

Amusingly, "other" is one of my favorite words. Means so many things!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: November 14, 2016, 11:31:50 pm »

DigitalDemon: You're welcome.  :)

Quote from: That article on the electors
“It was a pipe dream that the Cubs were going to win the World Series,” he said. “Pipe dreams come true.”
Quote from: Terry Prachett
Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:32 am »

"Tellingly, however, the magicians are staunchly silent on whether what was in their pipes was capable of existing in physical reality last week."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: November 15, 2016, 01:02:52 am »

https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/798211511915319296
I laughed at this. Thank you.

It started almost reasonable, then I just heard the tone of the tweets gets shriller and shriller as I kept reading. I'm unsure if it was intentional or not.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: November 15, 2016, 01:05:06 am »

I've come to believe that it's genuinely difficult for people to strike the chord of fury and determination without turning themselves into edgy shitbags. Just pretend you're the hero damn it, it's not that hard.

The state doesn't give a shit if you beat up random white people wearing MAGA hats and burn things that have no impact on the state while shouting about prejudice and power, the state will definitely care if ten million people stand outside the White House even if they're dead silent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:34 am »

I've come to believe that it's genuinely difficult for people to strike the chord of fury and determination without turning themselves into edgy shitbags. Just pretend you're the hero damn it, it's not that hard.

The state doesn't give a shit if you beat up random white people wearing MAGA hats and burn things that have no impact on the state while shouting about prejudice and power, the state will definitely care if ten million people stand outside the White House even if they're dead silent.

Pretending I'm the hero would be a bad idea. Take skyrim as an example.

"Oops, I accidentally winged a guard with my staff while fighting vampires in town. And now all the guards are trying to kill me! *stands ground*"
"Welp, the guards are all dead, and I only have a 40 gold fine for assault because I killed all the witnesses, because they were all attacking me. [They were all guards, I have a mod installed that makes civilians flee indoors during vampire/dragon attacks]"
*steps outside the city*
<Guard> Stop right there!
*pays fine and wanders off, and later comes back like nothing happened*
And of course I forgive the now-dead guards for suicidally attacking me.

Or, when I Shout in a city, they tell me not to do that, I say "fine, I won't", with no intention to keep to that, because it's not like they can stop me.

Or, when I kill everyone who surrenders because I know that if I don't they'll just try to stab me in the back 10 seconds later. (But Skyrim basically makes this necessary no matter what)

Or how I killed the guys at the Whiterun entrance who were looking for that waitress without any evidence that they were the bad guys (Except for their behavior), and despite the fact that the guards would be QUITE UPSET at me for doing it, and that I could have killed them later as part of their quest.

Honestly, in games I'm a pretty shitty hero. More like an antihero with a god complex. Maybe a villain who does things for people because why not. To use a quote from Magneto: "You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different." That said, I do feel bad if a friendly named NPC dies, so I try to avoid killing them.

... Whatever you do, do not give me Superman powers. I'd probably try to take over the world in the name of PEACE and EQUALITY and SAFETY and so forth.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: November 15, 2016, 02:08:12 am »

We could very well see some Electoral College sheneinighans.

The Republicans haven't started speaking out against Bannon, yet, but I'm pretty sure there are Republicans who are just as appalled by him as the Democrats are.

As I posted on facebook last week, convincing electors from republican won states to vote for anybody but Trump is going to be a hard sell.  Electors are generally chosen from among the long time party faithful.  People who have staunchly held a local public office for decades and people who have dedicated thousands of hours to volunteering for campaigns.  In other words, people who are committed to the party.  Getting them to swap the opponent in for their party's guy is nigh-unto-impossible.  Much more doable would be getting them to either swap the names on the ticket (so Pence gets votes for president and Trump gets votes for VP), or to substitute some other republican in place of Trump.

And if you get the 70 or so vote changes so Clinton has the most electoral votes, she still doesn't win.  The mess gets sent to the House of Representatives who get to vote by state, each state having 1 vote, on who gets to be the President.  Their only options are the 3 highest electoral-vote-getters.  Trump won 30 states and the Republicans have about 240 members in congress, so Clinton still won't win.  Pretty much the only way to prevent a Trump Presidency would be to convince about 205 republican electors to split their votes evenly between 2 candidates.  Alternatively, you could convince 190 republican electors and about 116 democratic electors to change their votes, which would deny Trump a place on the House of Representatives Ballot.  At that point, it would be Republican Candidate A 190, Hillary Clinton 117, Some Third Schlub 116, The Donald 115.

As to the issue of Bannon, the republicans who were most likely to say things about it were the conservatives who got shut out of the primary process.  Most of them took their ball and went home.  At this point, they are looking on at The Donald's antics and saying "I told you so."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: November 15, 2016, 03:21:57 am »

Or how I killed the guys at the Whiterun entrance who were looking for that waitress without any evidence that they were the bad guys (Except for their behavior), and despite the fact that the guards would be QUITE UPSET at me for doing it, and that I could have killed them later as part of their quest.
As long as it wasn't because they were carrying curved swords and wearing turbans.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: November 15, 2016, 03:27:44 am »

As long as it wasn't because they were carrying curved swords and wearing turbans.

Nah. I had seen all variants of their future... and chose to prevent them all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:52 am »

^That's why I loved Way of the Samurai 2, all the little changes that ripple through the two weeks the game covers as you do different playthroughs. I remember how fun it was doing a pacifist hero run, fixing problems, avoiding any violence I could, had dudes start asking if they could just hang out and follow me around, then get to the big climactic battle and I see a dialog choice I'd never thought fit right until then.

"You can't go, they're bringing in the army. If you try to fight them, you'll die!"
*thoughtful pause*
'I am the wind, and the wind, you cannot kill.'
*walks off like a stoic badass*
... Whatever you do, do not give me Superman powers. I'd probably try to take over the world in the name of PEACE and EQUALITY and SAFETY and so forth.
I remember comforting the missus a few years ago, she was really upset and I could figure out it involved one of her friends, so I was trying to figure out what they did, then she says it wasn't just them, it was mostly her, so I finally got her to explain that she was upset because they got in a tiff and she wished something bad would happen to her friend. I was like "what did she say when you told her that?" She looks horrified and explains she wouldn't ever tell her that, she was upset because she thought about it to herself...

So I'm baffled, I knew she was really good hearted, big part of why I married her, but I didn't think anybody but dogs were actually that sweet. So yeah, I'd trust her with Superman powers, but not myself. I'd be too tempted to try to take over the world or get the world united and working together against a common foe or something, a la Robot from Invincible. She'd be busy saving squirrels from getting run over and getting people out of burning buildings, heck with world conquest or arch-villainy.

I'm sure that story has been done somewhere, "So I married my Arch-enemy?" Like Unbreakable, except the twist is they're lovers.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: November 15, 2016, 03:53:04 am »

...propaganda is a scary thing.

Americans are at each other throats now, largely because they believe the shit that was said during the campaign.

Newsflash : neither Hillary nor Trump believe half of what they said, and the world in which the other side supporters lives only has passing similarities with your own.

For me, after the post-election salted popcorn, the fun is trying to guess which promises Trump is going to hold.

Also stop whining about the illegals deportation, the number aren't that far above what Obama deported, and you could have cut illegal immigrations issues in half by ending the war on drugs.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: November 15, 2016, 03:57:19 am »

Well Trump believes everything he says.

But he knows the difference between idealism and reality.

Sure in his ideal world there would be no illegal immigrants or heck he would rather they all be put in jail... but that isn't realistic.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: November 15, 2016, 03:57:45 am »

Well Trump believes everything he says.

But he knows the difference between idealism and reality.

Sure in his ideal world there would be no illegal immigrants or heck he would rather they all be put in jail... but that isn't realistic.
Since that The Wall has been a govt position for a while and a semi decent one is always being built. I imagine that being his most easy one to accomplish.  :-\
Swamp draining? Nada, wouldn't be able to use either houses for allies. Empty Idealism.
And Jailing immigrants would be FAR too expensive, even if the conditions were the worst possible whilst remaining within legal conditions.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #12674 on: November 15, 2016, 04:21:39 am »

posting to watch.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1249