Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389667 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11700 on: November 11, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »

It's dumb 'cause it won't really change anything.
The statement itself is still important though. "A racist sexist huckster got elected president of the US, so we got out and protested to show how much we thought it was bullshit" vs "A racist sexist huckster got elected president of the US, and we just kinda said 'eh'". I'm all for people putting the bulk of their effort into things that matter more, but protests are very visible and visibility counts.

Yes and no. It's good that people think that having him as president is probably not a good thing based on the racist sexist platform, but if all they're doing is throwing a tantrum, it's not so good.

If it encourages people to maybe fight back against his platform in more civil ways - donating to planned parenthood, volunteering their time and effort in various LGBT/immigrant rights things - then that's good. I guess it remains to be seen if that's going to happen, much like it remains to be seen if Trump is going to be as "gotta cut away the 'bad' shit Obama did"-crazy as his campaign suggested
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: November 11, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »

I don't understand what being a young earth creationist implies with natural resources. Other than plundering natural resources with abandon and without regard to the environment. Especially with the fact that the bible supposedly says that we are Earth's caretakers, not it's rapers.
hey man how can we take care of all those natural resources if they're locked under millions of tons of rock. does that sound safe to you? it doesn't to me. we better get them somewhere safe, like gas tanks, skyscrapers and the middle of the ocean.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:50 pm »

It also makes them into a convenient target. Protests aren't something you can easily control even if you have good intentions, because there's almost always going to be more uncontrolled and mean spirited people involved (unless there's an actual element of planning involved) so lets say protests start happening around the country and there's lots of property damage and people getting hurt.

Suddenly Trump gets a very convenient way to accuse people who don't like him of being violent criminals.

There's already reports of shops and other stablishments being wrecked by anti trump protests. Inconformity is ok, but damaging innocent people and businesses with it is not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:18:34 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: November 11, 2016, 12:19:58 pm »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but aren't all the protests before the dude has even done anything kinda like crying wolf?  Get riled up when injustice actually starts happening instead of just when people are scared it will.

Too many big protests now and y'all might not be taken seriously when ya need to be.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: November 11, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »

Anarchists and instigators will often, if not always try to use protests as an excuse to go about and cause damage. Don't blame that on the protest itself though, blame that on exactly those who are demolishing property or hurting innocent bystanders. Protesting in itself is a basic right.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but aren't all the protests before the dude has even done anything kinda like crying wolf?  Get riled up when injustice actually starts happening instead of just when people are scared it will.

Too many big protests now and y'all might not be taken seriously when ya need to be.
Disagree. Prevention is better than damage control. Protesting against Trump as a warning to not become a full out racist bigot president, to put it bluntly, is much preferable over first letting him hurt people and protesting afterwards
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:24:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: November 11, 2016, 12:22:20 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:59:00 am by Toady One »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: November 11, 2016, 12:26:13 pm »

Please don't respond like that, and please nobody respond in kind...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: November 11, 2016, 12:26:25 pm »

Mmm.  I might be in the minority of liberals, but I don't hate Trump for "sexism".  Honestly I don't think I hate him at all.  I just think it was literally ridiculous to vote for him, since we didn't know him.
With a side of me thinking Hillary was attacked far out of line with what little she probably did.

As for racism...  He was pointing out dangerous real trends in illegal immigrant populations.  I never liked that that was presented as him being a racist.

It's still mind-bogglying ridiculous that so much of America voted for him, and I think it was due to Clinton staying her realist moderate path.

Like I've kinda been saying:  I should have voted Sanders.
The counter to Trump's absurd nonsensical promises, was liberal/working class absurd promises.
The mistake was being honest with the American people.
I'm not being sarcastic (though a little butthurt).  That really was our mistake.  Much like Obama, we should have nominated the person who promised fucking everything.

Because if we had, then worse case, we'd still get some actual progressive Supreme Court justices for once.  Congress would be congress, and we'd sacrifice Sanders on the altar after he failed to get much passed.

It would be better than this.
We shouldn't whine that it's a popularity contest.  Whining does nothing.  We should embrace it.
go HAM
integrity is dead
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: November 11, 2016, 12:27:10 pm »

t. smug liberal jackass

I've never seen anyone hide behind so many strawmen. Everything you say is a gross exaggeration of a gross exaggeration. Even the Hillary campaign was more honest than you.

Chill dude. Don't resort to name calling. Not cool.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: November 11, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »

t. smug liberal jackass

I've never seen anyone hide behind so many strawmen. Everything you say is a gross exaggeration of a gross exaggeration. Even the Hillary campaign was more honest than you.

His entire response was nothing BUT name calling!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »

t. smug liberal jackass

His entire response was nothing BUT name calling!
Show me where in his his response he was name calling, because I sure as hell can't see any.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: November 11, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »

Anarchists and instigators will often, if not always try to use protests as an excuse to go about and cause damage. Don't blame that on the protest itself though, blame that on exactly those who are demolishing property or hurting innocent bystanders. Protesting in itself is a basic right.

Disagree. Prevention is better than damage control. Protesting against Trump as a warning to not become a full out racist bigot president, to put it bluntly, is much preferable over first letting him hurt people and protesting afterwards

Agreed. Maybe anti trump protesters would benefit from a more organized approach, though. Like, here in the mystical land of Br, when there were massive (in several major cities, with some cities having +1 million protesters) protests in favor of the impeachment, people were really damn organized by it. They made use of social media to plan the events, gave security guidelines, recommended procedures to single out and deal with troublemakers before they managed to do anything, warned the police in advance about the time, location and average size of the protest and followed any guidelines given by the police, etc. Some even used transparent plastic bags to carry water and other such things during the protest so police wouldn't have to worry about anyone carrying dangerous articles or weapons inside backpacks and thus wouldn't have to frisk pretty much anyone.

The result was that the protests were not only largely succesful, bht when compared to counter-impeachment protests they where much larger and more orderly with virtualy no incidents, which in turn caused a further massive increase in popular support for the impeachment and intimidated a fuckton of politicians.

So yea, its completely possible to make large, peaceful but very attention grabbing protests with enough planning and organization.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:36:22 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: November 11, 2016, 12:48:33 pm »

The problem with large, peaceful protests is that it's easy to wait them out.

Occupy showed us that. They were largely peaceful, simply setting up camp somewhere visible and waiting around with signs. Eventually they gave up and left, some quicker than others, some more stubbornly than others. But eventually they all left.

They grabbed plenty of attention, but it was just that, attention, little or nothing changed as a result.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: November 11, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »

Yeah but really what could be done about the Trump presidency?

Like even if the protests worked and American decided "Hey, maybe Trump isn't the best president and Clinton should be in charge" what could they even do?

Which is why I consider these protests to be letting off steam.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:46 pm »

As for racism...  He was pointing out dangerous real trends in illegal immigrant populations.  I never liked that that was presented as him being a racist.
If he had been pointing out dangerous real trends in undocumented immigrant populations, he possibly wouldn't have been. Instead most of his major talking points on the subject were either lies or so wrong they might as well have been. Add on top his very explicitly, undeniably, racist language and in some cases action, and... well, by word and deed he presented himself as racist. People didn't present him as racist, he managed that all his own.

Though as for hate, I'unno. Antipathy is how I'd describe m'own feelings, more than hate. Just about everything about him is more or less entirely antithetical to what I consider acceptable behavior, but for all the man is incompetent scumshit, about the most I can really lay at his feet that's overt is the hundreds/thousands of lives he ruined or disrupted with his business practices. Well, and the complete lack of respect for anyone. And he and his businesses' legal history. Probably a bunch of other stuff, really, but if you want to list the reasons to dislike the guy you're going to be there for a while. And I'm pretty sure by the time I was done I actually would be saying it's hate because at some point it's hard to justify anything else. So, uh...

But when it boils down to it, by all appearances he's a thin-skinned egotistical con man with all that entails, but that ain't really worth hate in and of itself, per se. Lots of other things, but not really hate. Now, pence? The GOP (if not really its voters) that's been hard screwing my country all my life? Maaaaybe a bit of hate. Titch. Lil bit. Work with them if it'd help but if all of them spontaneously burst into flames tomorrow I'd be dancing a little jig, for all that is a horrible, horrible sentiment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1249