Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389955 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11685 on: November 11, 2016, 10:31:26 am »

Good news! Sarah Palin might become secretary of the interior! And be Carson might become education Secretary! Ya! *Chocked gaging*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:09 am »

Good news! Sarah Palin might become secretary of the interior! And be Carson might become education Secretary! Ya! *Chocked gaging*

Or Palin might become Secretary of the Energy department, which then she would promptly kill. So, if Trump has actual plans for the Energy department, that would piss him off.

Also, Bannon might become Chief of Staff, blarg. Or possibly Chris Christie, which would be more palatable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:38:04 am by smjjames »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: November 11, 2016, 10:39:05 am »

Ohw god, not Palin.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:08 am »

In a popular election, the democrat would almost always win.  CHeck historic data. You will see.
In the history of the USA there have been FOUR elections where popular vote went to the candidate that didn't win the election, granted always in favor of the GOP, but claiming that under popular vote democrats would always win is just plain nonsense.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: November 11, 2016, 10:44:12 am »

CNN reporting just shy of 400 people arrested nationwide last night in anti-Trump protests/riots. Tonight is expected to be worse.

Buckle up buckaroos.

Ok... NOW it is dumb :P

How is it dumb? Also, I heard it was more like 200. But yeah, it's only going to get worse, but the protests won't last forever because people have lives, except for those that don't really.

It's dumb 'cause it won't really change anything. If it does, it'll make it that after every election there'll be large-scale riots by the losers.

Anyhow, re: wierd's stuff about the EC being fairer than an alternative: not really.

You said at one point (can't be bothered finding it) that the US isn't a democracy and that one person =/= one vote... and you appear to think that's okay.

My preferred system would be a proportional allocation of the EC numbers based on the voting in each state. If the Republicans get 60% of a state, they get 60% of the EC votes. That would at least mean that candidates have to make an effort to court voters with their platforms, and voters that don't adhere to a state's voting patterns (D in CA, R in TX and so on) will be more inclined to come out and vote, 'cause then their vote actually means something.

Presently it's what, 12 states that get most of the attention because they can swing the vote? Those guys get all the power, and policies catered to their needs. Everyone else presently has to suck it up. If they benefit from it? Great! If not, tough cookies, you mean squat at crunch time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: November 11, 2016, 11:24:26 am »

*pokes head in thread* Nothing got changed or removed seemingly? So, locked out of precaution? *is confused*

Anyhoo, on CNN, they're saying that Giuliani is being considered for Secretary of State. Considering that the guy has basically zero foriegn policy experience (outside of 9/11) and the position requires confirmation by Congress, I doubt it'll happen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:40 am »

I thought Trump wanted Giuliani on the Justice Department?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: November 11, 2016, 11:26:37 am »

This could be great if he treated his cabinet like a season of the apprentice. Each week he fires one until one is left and then he fills it back up again and starts over.

Great as in very much entertaining and a chance to get people actually engaged in government. Not so great as in it'd destabilize the internal workings of government like crazy... but... you know... I'm in it for the entertainment at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: November 11, 2016, 11:32:03 am »

I thought Trump wanted Giuliani on the Justice Department?

I think he might have declined that one, or maybe that one was Attorney General, but nothing stopping the team from considering someone for multiple positions, especially since Trump puts emphasis on loyalists. I'm sure they have a pretty big list.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: November 11, 2016, 11:35:18 am »

*pokes head in thread* Nothing got changed or removed seemingly? So, locked out of precaution? *is confused*
Vendayn caught the banhammer; probably related.

It's dumb 'cause it won't really change anything.
The statement itself is still important though. "A racist sexist huckster got elected president of the US, so we got out and protested to show how much we thought it was bullshit" vs "A racist sexist huckster got elected president of the US, and we just kinda said 'eh'". I'm all for people putting the bulk of their effort into things that matter more, but protests are very visible and visibility counts.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: November 11, 2016, 11:36:45 am »

Anyhoo, on CNN, they're saying that Giuliani is being considered for Secretary of State. Considering that the guy has basically zero foriegn policy experience (outside of 9/11) and the position requires confirmation by Congress, I doubt it'll happen.
Considering that "Carson for Secretary of Education" somehow WASN'T a sarcastic joke, I'm actually less worried about Giuliani.  Yeah State is arguably more important, in an international sense, but education is the future and this guy's a fundie nutter.  He's also a good surgeon and a chill guy, but the fundie thing is BAD for education.

Apparently Palin for Secretary of Interior is real too.  I probably should be most worried about Sarah "Drill Baby Drill" Palin in charge of our natural resources...  well, it's close.  At least Ben Carson isn't a young earth creationist.  Palin IS, with all that implies re: natural resources.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: November 11, 2016, 11:49:55 am »

Where is this all coming from?

It's like an old episode of Batman where the Joker breaks out all of Gotham's villains and they rule the city.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: November 11, 2016, 11:53:22 am »

I don't understand what being a young earth creationist implies with natural resources. Other than plundering natural resources with abandon and without regard to the environment. Especially with the fact that the bible supposedly says that we are Earth's caretakers, not it's rapers.

Where is this all coming from?

It's like an old episode of Batman where the Joker breaks out all of Gotham's villains and they rule the city.

I think you mean the movie, though there was an episode I guess.

No idea what the source is, and having the source would be nice.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:55 am »

Not to get religion in the politics thread...  (This is brain surgery, not rocket science!)
Fundamentalists are likely to believe that resources can be safely depleted, because the end of the world is relatively nigh.  Jesus is coming back "real soon now", according to the Bible.  So why should we worry about the next century?

It's massively worse with young-earthers.  In their mind, God created the whole planet in a literal week, and there's no reason he couldn't do so again (or regenerate the resources, or whatever).  At least normal fundamentalists might look at the 4 billion years and think "maybe God will get annoyed if we deplete this".

It would be infinitely worse for Palin to be in charge of education, though, so small mercy there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11699 on: November 11, 2016, 12:06:54 pm »

Sure there is. He's a shock jock. You don't have to be a bad person to spew filth for attention or social signalling. It helps, but it's not required.
That sure sounds a lot like "courting bigots". That he's a bad person is, I think, far in the past at this point.
It's not. A "shock jock" is somebody who says outrageous things because they're outrageous. You don't have to be a bad person to enjoy them- in fact, being offended by them is literally a primary reason to enjoy them.
So he's either a bigot, an intentional bigot-courter, or a bigot-courter by happenchance. That doesn't change the fact that people voted for him despite his bigoted language. That's horrifying.
More relevantly in this case, it's a great way to get attention and suggest a lack of social restraint or conformity.
Hey, look at me! I have no self-restraint! I say whatever the hell I want to say, no matter the consequences! You should totally vote me in as President!
The former is useful for obvious reasons, while the latter is an excellent quality to display when the usual rules are terrible, as in the case of lying shills who never do what they say they will, don't actually care about their constituents, and other mean things people say about "normal" politicians.
Lol, how is a lack of restraint a good thing?
To the whole thing: Alright, gimme some numbers.
Sure, send me the mindreading laser satellite and I'll get right on that.
So you have no idea. Could be five of them in a remote cabin in Alaska, could be everyone south of Jersey. But you're utterly convinced that they compose vast hordes causing massive damage to... something. "Us," I suppose.
There are no numbers, so it cannot be known. Suuuuuuure.
You know who else thinks and talks like that? Literally everyone, but most notably the people concerned about, you know, Mexican rapists and such. The ones convinced there's enemies out there, and Trump is going to make everyone safe by fixing that little problem. The issue being that they're too far into their ideology and related bullshit to care overmuch about reality.
Yeah, since there are no numbers, we're basically the same as Trump supporters. Reeks of a false equivalency, methinks.
I mean, do you not think Imported Rape is a problem? You're probably not a fan of rape or letting it continue unabated. But you're probably also pretty sure the numbers on that are pretty negligible, and that anyone trying to push it as a major problem is a jackass. And if I asked one of them what the numbers were, what do you think they'd say? "Sure, here's the latest figures"? Or "Geez, I dunno, I don't have a mind reading laser, but it's a serious problem!"?
I think that there is a problem because people voted for a blatant bigot. That implies that either people don't give a shit about his bigotry, or they like his bigotry, or they think that bigotry's not that important. Either possibility is bad.
Because this really just sounds like the same tribal shield-thumping you see with every political zealot, talking about The Other whose crimes and influence have grown so great that they Can No Longer Be Ignored.
Why do I even bother? I spend all of my actual strategist time talking about how the left needs unity and understanding, and then I get this.
Right, the left. Your People. You spend all your time talking about how your group needs to unite and stand strong against the enemy group, then you're surprised when I call you partisan? Why would that be surprising?
Partisan =/= tribal shield-thumping. Thinking that people are wrong =/= tribal shield-thumping. Come on, this is stupid.
The middle paragraph especially disturbs me, because it really just feels like a blanket condemnation of anyone who disagrees with you. What, if you disagree with illegal immigration, would you feel is within the "paradigm of acceptable angles" to do about it? Or is the problem simply that anyone who gets to the disagreeing part is already hideously wrong to begin with?
If you think we should try to round Hispanic people up and throw them over the border, imprison women exercising their reproductive rights, or refuse to address police executions so we can be all tough on crime, then yes, you are a bad person. If we think that believing things can make you a bad person, that is. I suppose one could take the view that you can believe America should ethnically cleanse the streets in a hail of gunfire and beat gay children until they decide to be normal without acting on it and so you're absolutely neutral because you don't do anything.
I'd argue believing this makes you a far worse person than someone who's pro-life. I'd argue something else, in fact, but I suspect it'd enrage you well beyond the utility it'd provide.
"You think that things are wrong! And that believing in wrongness makes you a bad person!" ...yes, I think that.

"YOU ARE THE AWFULEST PERSON EVER" what the hell
Which is exactly the kind of concession I have in mind when I say this makes you a bad person. If you have questionable beliefs, you can still, in theory, productively work with others. On the most basic level this means just not causing a scene with people you don't like, but it ramps up to all sorts of fun things. Including, at the very best case, exchanging information productively enough to shift those beliefs.

The most problematic beliefs, then, are those that drown out those possibilities. If you want all Mexicans hurled back to Mexico, you can still, in theory, have productive conversations and come to compromises with those that want something different. If you believe everyone who doesn't want all Mexicans hurled back over the wall is a traitor hippie, that potential rapidly vanishes.

You can potentially come back from anything if your mechanisms are still working. If they're not, you start gumming up and shrinking down. The end result is a literal, not-a-euphemism-for-racist bigot- someone who's vehemently stuck in their ways and will entertain no notions to the contrary, because they decided long ago that all notions to the contrary were the product of imbeciles and crooks.

So yes, I'll absolutely take someone who wants more police authority but is willing to understand why some might not over someone who wants to clean up the police and feels anyone who feels differently is an animal.
Oh bloody hell, show me where anybody called bigots animals. I am utterly flabbergasted. We have called things wrong. Nobody has said that wrong people shouldn't be listened to, or compromised with. And yet you call us worse than the Trump supporters, just because we call bigotry wrong.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay, have fun in your own pocket-universe of insanity, because we obviously aren't living in the same universe.
There is plenty of room to be reasonable about illegal immigration without agreeing with me. I'm not even absolutely certain what we should do about it. Donald Trump's expressed views are not within that range.

Also, the paradigm of angles is not about what should or should not be tolerated, it's about how politics has worked in the past vs. what Trump did. Some of the GOP advocated for deportation, but they did so from say, the idea that we have to have a fair immigration process and support our own laws. Compare to Trump's rather direct version of the underlying idea: Mexicans are rapists, BUILD WALL.
So name some. Or are you saying it's the underlying tone that matters? In which case, same question for tone. What tones are acceptable yet differ from yours?
Define "acceptable". I think that the BUILD WALL people, as well as the "deportation [which actually means throw them out]", are wrong. Does that mean that I think their statements are unacceptable?

I will listen to people who I think are wrong. I will not shut them up. I can engage in rational debate with wrong people. This is what separates me from the EVIL BAD TRUMP SUPPORTER PEOPLE who you are comparing us to. (Wait a fucking second, you're using the Other as a comparison to say "you're even worse." How interesting.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1249