Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389594 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11550 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:42 pm »

... if it comes up, sure. Just... remind me. Even odds I'll forget before I notice clown news/honkening incidences again. Definitely promise to fix via edit if that happens, though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:19:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »

Onomatopoeia?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:12 pm »

Frumple is just a one man transcribed accent machine. As in he's the one man with that particular transcribed accent. Don't think about it too hard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:34 pm »

Okay, so, anyone think there's going to be sustained campaigning at the electors?

At 290 ECV (Michigan technically hasn't been called yet, but it won't affect the results), you'd have to see more than 20 (36 if Michigan goes to Trump) electors revolt to change anything. The three that have already said they'd be faithless won't affect things and could still go ahead anyway as a protest. There would have to be a large number of nevertrump electors (whether coordinated or not) turning into faithless electors in order to affect things, and given the halfhearted protests in the Republican Convention, I doubt it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:27 pm »

I'm just trying to figure out why you occasionally use "ferex" in your posts. I have no idea where it originated from, and dictionaries offer up nothing.
fer example

For example with a southern accent, shortened to fewer letters.
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »

Okay, so, anyone think there's going to be sustained campaigning at the electors?

At 290 ECV (Michigan technically hasn't been called yet, but it won't affect the results), you'd have to see more than 20 (36 if Michigan goes to Trump) electors revolt to change anything. The three that have already said they'd be faithless won't affect things and could still go ahead anyway as a protest. There would have to be a large number of nevertrump electors (whether coordinated or not) turning into faithless electors in order to affect things, and given the halfhearted protests in the Republican Convention, I doubt it.
Please let that actually happen...Please let that actually happen...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: November 10, 2016, 11:42:57 pm »

I was about to say something along the lines of that being a butchering of democracy...

But... Then again the best thing about this is it might actually give Clinton the untold power to actually get rid of the Electoral College.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:32 pm »

Despite my reservations regarding Trump, it's a big fucking step to say "see that election we had a few days ago? Yeah that doesn't count because we don't like the result."

Big precedent. Almost big league, you could say.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »

I was about to say something along the lines of that being a butchering of democracy...

But... Then again the best thing about this is it might actually give Clinton the untold power to actually get rid of the Electoral College.
And I'm p sure she won the popular vote?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:37 pm »

That's not - for some bizarre reason - the vote that matters. In an essentially two-party race.

Why is that, again?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:56 pm »

Given how 'Republicans fall in line', I really doubt it, and the nevertrump movement basically fizzled. But yeah, who knows.

Still, doing that would be an excersize in uselessness because throwing it to the House would just still result in Trump-Pence.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: November 10, 2016, 11:49:35 pm »

Given how 'Republicans fall in line', I really doubt it, and the nevertrump movement basically fizzled. But yeah, who knows.

Still, doing that would be an excersize in uselessness because throwing it to the House would just still result in Trump-Pence.
Eh?
How do you figure it'd go to the house?
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #11562 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:00 pm »

That's not - for some bizarre reason - the vote that matters. In an essentially two-party race.

Why is that, again?
No, that's such a widespread misunderstanding that it might as well be a conspiracy theory. Faithless electors are not and have never been the intention of the EC, they're just an unfortunate consequence of it (which is why it's illegal in so many places, and would be illegal in all of them if anything had ever been decided by a faithless elector as opposed to the protest votes they really are).

The electoral college exists as a relic of the US beta testing democracy and a Presidential system between an association of 13 different states all with very divided opinions on what that all should look like. To give you the short form, slaveholding states supported having Congress elect the President because their slave populations were counted under the 3/5ths Compromise for the number of representatives they would have, while free states supported having a direct popular vote because the lack or relative rarity of slaves meant they would have more influence electing the President.

The electoral college was the most easily agreed upon system to prevent everybody from killing each other or smothering the union in its cradle and becoming vulnerable to the European powers/Canada/each other.

We've been trying to get rid of it ever since. You might think of it as a generational curse, almost.

Totally called it on the generational curse thing, by the way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:35 pm »

I think the Nevertrump movement was a good move all things considered (outside the... riots)

People NEEDED to get this out of their system AND frankly people being too civil is also a problem.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: November 10, 2016, 11:53:10 pm »

Why is that, again?
somethingsomething... connecticut? Compromise? Something that sounds like that, anyway. I think. Don't ask me for details, I don't remember them and don't feel like looking them up right now. There was some kind of reason for that when it was first implemented, and I'm pretty sure there's some good arguments out there for why it was a relatively good idea then and now, but... yeah.

And yeah, clinton's been maintaining a 2-300k popular vote lead for most of today, near as I've noticed. Vaguely remember hearing it may widen notably before it's all counted, for what it matters. It's not exactly a large amount (<1% of the population), but it is what it is.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1249