Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389724 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #11535 on: November 10, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »

whats the worst that could happen?!? oh right the climate go's to hell after the republicans destroy our hope of reduced CO2 emissions.

also i do not understand why people seem to think Clinton is corrupt. nothing about her is. all i see is more bullshit trump propaganda making up ever more bullshit out of nothing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: November 10, 2016, 10:52:17 pm »

From what I've seen on the news, they think the only people who voted for Trump were racists/homophobic/mysogenic/etc.

I know that the media isn't exactly the best at getting good data (polls,  :P), but what do the more liberally-inclined forumites here think about that?

Based on my personal observations, it sounds more like half of the country decided to throw the other half under the bus to make a point.  Most of the people I know that voted for Trump either wanted to wreck the system or because they hated Hillary with an impressive and frightening passion.  I don't know any that voted to be racist, homophobic or mysoginistic.  Openly anyway.

Of course there was one old white woman at the polls here in South Carolina that told my mom that we "have to vote these n*****s out of here!", but that kind of thing just kind of happens on occasion around here anyway so I'm not sure if it was actually because of Trump.

But anyway, because they bought into the Hillary conspiracy theories, we all get run over by the bus and watch as our country wrecks the climate and loses all credibility internationally.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: November 10, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »

Maybe nobody here, but people do say that. The new, "updated" definition of racism is prejudice + power, and since we all know no member of any minority group anywhere in America has any power or personal agency, and have their life and livelihoods at the absolute whim of the evil white majority at all times; it follows that only white people can be racist.

That definition has been extremely controversial for ages and hasn't really penetrated intellectual society.

And the definition wasn't that "Only White People can be racist" so much that "Discrimination without effect isn't racism" so a Black Fellow saying racist slurs about white people isn't racist (once again I disagree) because he can't do anything. Yet if that Black Fellow started making Jew Slurs... That is another thing.

The whole Power Exchange thing is frankly, and I will say this openly, one of the worst things I ever seen people take seriously. What should be a tool for understanding power ratios between races has become a weapon of segregation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:57:00 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: November 10, 2016, 10:56:53 pm »

whats the worst that could happen?!? oh right the climate go's to hell after the republicans destroy our hope of reduced CO2 emissions.

also i do not understand why people seem to think Clinton is corrupt. nothing about her is. all i see is more bullshit trump propaganda making up ever more bullshit out of nothing.
The news said she was, red. Been saying it for a long time, loudly, and from every angle right left and center. Been saying about all of it was an example of corruption, indisputable and inarguable. How much was actually true? No one major reporting on it cared. Genuinely plausible evidence? FTFE, my friend. They didn't do all of this but there ain't many actors involved that did as much, much less more.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: November 10, 2016, 10:58:18 pm »

Hillary's emails have been on every news feed 24/7 since it was just her and Trump, but I didn't even know about the Trump interview (the "grab her by the pussy" one) until I saw it in this thread.

The way I hear it brought up at large is almost exactly like a meme. Like when I say something about harambe or dat boi to annoy people at school, that's exactly how I hear it brought up in real life and in comment sections and chats, as a shitty pattern-based nonsequiter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:00:50 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: November 10, 2016, 10:58:42 pm »

In all this madness, I forgot the actual political solution that we thought up however long ago, that created the original incarnation of our current title.
Outer Heaven, anyone?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: November 10, 2016, 11:00:53 pm »

... though baff, I'm... pretty sure that definition is older than I am. Systemic racism's been something considered separately than more personal stuff for a while, if my memory's working and the voodoo curse isn't.

Systematic racism is something completely different from racism. Systematic racism is what you get when racism is integrated into the machinery of government, either de facto or de jure. Racism is making someone's race a central factor in your opinion/treatment of them. The former cannot exist without the latter, yeah, but some people (and I'm not saying you're one of them) say that the latter can't exist without the former either. Creating a distinction between prejudice and racism like that is nothing more than using semantics to poison the well.

Edit: Also...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:02:28 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: November 10, 2016, 11:04:10 pm »

Baff, I wasn't commenting on anything else. Just noting that the power+prejudice thing wasn't new. The power in that formulation refers to that integration, de facto or de jure. Has from the start, even if it's used differently often enough these days.
Hillary's emails have been on every news feed 24/7 since it was just her and Trump, but I didn't even know about the Trump interview (the "grab her by the pussy" one) until I saw it in this thread.
Eehh, there's been some variation. Some folks have mentioned only seeing crap about trump, ferex. One of the many reasons to FTFE is that it's actually been possible to go through the last year consuming only news that was completely divorced in just about every way from some other set of news. Folks have been living in what amounted to different worlds.
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: November 10, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »

I think people are finally starting to get that it's possible to only consume the information they want to see on the Net. If they want to make Trump look like an unjustly villified underdog, they can find some stupid mouthy liberal vlog. If one wants to find out that Hillary is actually Hitler's sole daughter, they can find that too, on a pretty-looking WordPress or Tumblr that looks much like a real website.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: November 10, 2016, 11:08:35 pm »

Uh, its. The problem there was more meatspace than online, as near as I've noticed. Net's still harder to do that, amazingly enough. Stuff intrudes a lot easier. And yes, I'm aware of how much I'm saying when I say that.
Ask not!
Ask!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: November 10, 2016, 11:10:11 pm »

FTFE

Literally the only person on the internet to use this acronym.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: November 10, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »

Okay, so, anyone think there's going to be sustained campaigning at the electors?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: November 10, 2016, 11:12:13 pm »

Unlikely, but I am interested in finding out the ultimate fate of the one Clinton and two Trump electors who announced their faithlesness ahead of time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: November 10, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »

FTFE
Literally the only person on the internet to use this acronym.
And I'm going to keep doing it until it catches somewhere and propagates, even if it takes years. Fuck the Fourth Estate.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: November 10, 2016, 11:15:20 pm »

I'll start using FTFE if you promise to start using Honkening.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1249