Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391862 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10110 on: November 08, 2016, 04:13:39 pm »

I'll clarify the question. Is there enough meat on the VRA to get a new case to overturned the decision and get back the protections it gave originally or does it need a new law for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_County_v._Holder

Looks like everything would be hunky dory if congress passed a bill with a new formula, but by the time that's possible the point will be moot, since the sun will have exploded.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »

I, for my part, will be employing either an American or Gasden flag for my End Of The Republic celebration.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have voted! GLORIA IN EXCELSIS POTUS! GLORIA IN AETERNUM CLINTON IMPERATRIX!

...Also, I can't seem to get the irc site to work. Is it blank for anyone else?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: November 08, 2016, 04:54:21 pm »

don't forget she's still going to be fighting a near, or even exactly 50/50 senate to get judges in.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: November 08, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »

I, for my part, will be employing either an American or Gasden flag for my End Of The Republic celebration.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have voted! GLORIA IN EXCELSIS POTUS! GLORIA IN AETERNUM CLINTON IMPERATRIX!

...Also, I can't seem to get the irc site to work. Is it blank for anyone else?
Congrats!
It stopped being blank when I accepted the cookies.  But www.mibbit.com works fine, just have to put in "irc.sorcery.net" for server.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American (\{mainiac})
« Reply #10114 on: November 08, 2016, 05:11:04 pm »

Also, you might want to talk with Tiruin about Duterte, because she has a lot of info on him, to quell any highlighted bad-things.
I've seen what Tiruin has had to say on the matter in the dedicated thread, but I've always been of the opinion that intent and goals don't justify the means of achieving them -- he may mean well, but meaning well and encouraging murder of drug users is still encouraging murder of drug users

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: November 08, 2016, 05:31:53 pm »

Here's my official prediction for the election: one of the candidates wins; we all lose.

On a side note, god damn, that POTUS ballot. In addition to the Dems and Reps, we had the Greens and Libs (as expected), and two or three other candidates from other third parties. With any luck the mainline party that loses will be so salty that they try to kill FPTP and amend the Constitution for ordered-list runoff elections. That alone would be a massive step towards fixing the system.

And here's the sad thing. We wouldn't even be talking about this election as an uncertain thing if the Dems had nominated almost anyone else, or even if Clinton's campaign and supporters hadn't been so goddamn arrogant and entitled. I know I would have sucked it up and voted for her if there hadn't been that air of "well of course she's going to be president, it's her turn" or the constant bullying and browbeating of the left wing of the Democratic party by the center-right fuckers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: November 08, 2016, 05:41:17 pm »

Here's my official prediction for the election: one of the candidates wins; we all lose.

On a side note, god damn, that POTUS ballot. In addition to the Dems and Reps, we had the Greens and Libs (as expected), and two or three other candidates from other third parties. With any luck the mainline party that loses will be so salty that they try to kill FPTP and amend the Constitution for ordered-list runoff elections. That alone would be a massive step towards fixing the system.

And here's the sad thing. We wouldn't even be talking about this election as an uncertain thing if the Dems had nominated almost anyone else, or even if Clinton's campaign and supporters hadn't been so goddamn arrogant and entitled. I know I would have sucked it up and voted for her if there hadn't been that air of "well of course she's going to be president, it's her turn" or the constant bullying and browbeating of the left wing of the Democratic party by the center-right fuckers.

Yeah I never really liked Clinton, somehow I always get the feeling that she says what she thinks people expect her to say. She is just way too much in line with the general social trends in what she says, which makes her sounds like a parrot.

Trump on the other hand is just an arrogant asshole. Basically everything he does screams I am an asshole and proud of. As an example I am going to name the video in which Trump said the grab em by the pussy thing. The most appalling thing about that video wasn't that he was disrespectful, it was that he was fucking proud of abusing the position of power he had over those people. Why anyone would vote for such a person is beyond me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:01:54 pm by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:01 pm »

That's not new for Clinton, yeah. She was a Goldwater Girl back in the day, now she's popular with the left, and she's taken the easy and politically expedient positions every step along the way. No principles except self-promotion.

But, as you say, Trump is absolute scum, the sort of person that... well, suffice to say that if I had much less to live for and he won, I'd be buying myself a gun and heading to D.C. Ironic, that. :|

That has only the slightest tinge of kidding to it. It's beyond "I can't respect this person" and "this person has terrible, harmful policy positions" to "Global Thermonuclear War when?"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »

You know it is at 2:00 PM that your brain goes "Alright you know we've had a really good run here, we've done good work and I feel good about this. It's been about eight hours now, and that's a full work day, and so its time to wrap it all up and head home." It's 4:00 PM when you think "Well you know it's been a long day, just one of those days you know. I'm tired, and I'll be pretty sore tomorrow, but I'm sure glad it's over." It's 6:00 PM when your brain goes "This ends soon, right? Please? Please..."  It's also around the time you start looking at the clock more often. 7:00 is when it gets compulsive.

I swear to god half my work could be achieved by a sign twice as tall and twice as large as our current signs. People just need directions on everything! People don't trust themselves to put in the damn paper, they need instructions on explicitly how to do it. And every single time, they ask "Does it matter what side?" No it doesn't matter, backward forwards upside down or whatever, I assure you I've seen people do it your way 100 times in the last hour. But no, gotta do that, and gotta do the hard work of constantly connecting people with the line they need to be in. It's like some sick twisted bureaucracy sim, called "Line Manager 2016" with the Election DLC. And there's never any payoff: you get one person out, but another takes their place. One group goes, another enters. For hours. At least the lines seemed to have chilled out for now. Most people are at or coming home from work, although the six-o-clock wave is coming. It's nice. The scanners haven't had a line in 15 minutes.

You folks want my gossip for the evening? I saw Tiffany Trump today (she's a runway model, his only daughter with Marla Maples). Emphasis on saw. My first realization that something was up was a quick blur of pink and blonde go past me, followed by a brief but overwhelming wave of perfume. For what it's worth (and it ain't worth much) I can say that she is pretty attractive, but not, like, amazing. Not even the most attractive person I've seen today. Again, your source for useless gossip coming at you live from on the streets of Manhattan.

Here's my official prediction for the election:
Here's mine: I work until 11:00 PM  taking shit from every self-entitled nutter in the Upper East Side, briefly go home to check who won (surprise, Hillary), take a train ride to my dorm, and pass out on my bed.

I'ma go now. Gotta get dinner while I can.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: November 08, 2016, 05:59:11 pm »

Reminder that the IRC is up at
irc.sorcery.net
#bay12asylum

With a very special guest star (;

On a side note, god damn, that POTUS ballot. In addition to the Dems and Reps, we had the Greens and Libs (as expected), and two or three other candidates from other third parties.
You had a Green option?  I might be misremembering (I voted on the 30th or so) but I thought it was only Libertarian, Dem, and Rep.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: November 08, 2016, 06:05:50 pm »

Stein was on mine, at least. Johnson and one or two other non-major party folks, too. Two, now that I check the online sample ballot. Castle and De La Fuente.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: November 08, 2016, 06:08:56 pm »

Funnily, stein is on the top of the ballot for me. Besides the big two, I got stein, Johnson, and la riva.

Anyways, I have voted now. :)

* smjjames bees a water molecule in the vast sea of Democrats.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: November 08, 2016, 06:11:07 pm »

Godspeed, misko. It's hellish work, but someone's gotta do it. And there's only so many retirees to go around =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: November 08, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »

Quote from: Flying Dice

HAHAHAHAAahaha, ohhh you crack me up. I'm certain you know that's never going to happen. Even if the Dem/Rep reivalry wasn't just fabricated partisanship for the sake of dividing, distracting, and controlling the populace, they'd never do that because it would negatively affect their careers too.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: November 08, 2016, 06:36:31 pm »

Goddamnit. Shots fired near (though not in, or at) a LA polling station, at least two victims en-route (or at, by now) the hospital. No word on if it's politically motivated or not, but still something we could do without :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1249