Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391755 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10095 on: November 08, 2016, 02:38:03 pm »

https://projects.propublica.org/electionland/national/what-we-know-so-far/ Ersatz exit polls? Sounds like maybe the work of Roger Stone's group.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: November 08, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »

I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up here. Trump, and his son, both couldn't resist peeking at their wives when they voted. That's how much they trust their own wives.
You can see the photos of it in my newspaper article.

Trump's youngest son also broke the law, and could technically get 1 year in prison plus 1000 dollars fine: Eric Trump placed a photo of his filled in voting ticket on Twitter, which is forbidden by New York voting law. After being told it was wrong, he quickly deleted it.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/live-trump-en-zoon-trump-spieken-bij-vrouw-tijdens-het-stemmen~a4410976/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:44:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: November 08, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

Thanks for the info folks, that reminder that xkcd had info on where to report that helped greatly even though I had seen that one I forgot it had the info I wanted.

I reported it to the county line as instructed and was told by the person on the phone that I wasn't the first report of that truck.  They even asked me if I had video to send her..  Implying that there's video evidence too.

I don't even like Hillary, but a loudspeaker truck spouting anti Hillary propaganda with a big trump sign on the side and an effigy of Hillary Clinton in a dog cage 90 feet (according to google maps) from the entrance to a polling place seems sleazy as all hell.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: November 08, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »

I don't even like Hillary, but a loudspeaker truck spouting anti Hillary propaganda with a big trump sign on the side and an effigy of Hillary Clinton in a dog cage 90 feet (according to google maps) from the entrance to a polling place seems sleazy as all hell.

As much as it's probably protected free speech, that's just wrong. O.o

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/nov/08/us-election-2016-polls-trump-clinton-results-live?page=with:block-58222cd2e4b0eda0192fd8a9#block-58222cd2e4b0eda0192fd8a9

Inb4 Trump refuses to concede just because of 'machine malfunctions'. Methinks he never planned to concede all along and is prepared to use the lamest excuse possible.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:00:38 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: November 08, 2016, 03:04:24 pm »

It's not, actually, not if it was 90 feet from the polling place, and especially not with the loudspeaker. Florida law prohibits political activity that attempts to influence people within a hundred feet of the polling entrance, as well as anything physically within that range. Whoever the hell it was is earning themselves some legal trouble.

E: And here we have the GOP crowing about the success of their voter suppression efforts in NC. Do believe this is one of the few things I've encountered this cycle that's genuinely pissed me right the fuck off.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:22:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: November 08, 2016, 03:28:15 pm »

So I pulled up to the library today and noticed all the cars, and the flag by the door.

All right! November 8!

David Weber's Safehold series book 9 is out today!

Does anything actually happen in it? Because I read the first two books, then read one in the middle of the series randomly. Great book, Weber is a good writer as always, then I got to the end and realized that I'd just read over 500 pages where the plot just baaaaarely progressed.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: November 08, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »

Things seem to be speeding up (book 6-7? was a drag, but book 8 seemed to go places). I don't know how book 9 is just yet :P
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: November 08, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

It's not, actually, not if it was 90 feet from the polling place, and especially not with the loudspeaker. Florida law prohibits political activity that attempts to influence people within a hundred feet of the polling entrance, as well as anything physically within that range. Whoever the hell it was is earning themselves some legal trouble.

E: And here we have the GOP crowing about the success of their voter suppression efforts in NC. Do believe this is one of the few things I've encountered this cycle that's genuinely pissed me right the fuck off.

They aren't explictly saying that though, seems more being willfully blind to the effects of voter suppression and seeing it as their own echo chamber thoughts rather than the actual reason.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: November 08, 2016, 03:38:28 pm »

I got a question. It was said that if Clinton wins she will then nominate a judge for the Supreme Court and a new case can be made and sent to them in the hope of overturning the Citizen United decision. Can she do the same for the Civil Right Act Voting Right Act or they have to make a new law in Congress?

EDIT : Mixed up.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:00:04 pm by Wolock »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:23 pm »

SCOTUS can elect to review any law that has a legal challenge brought against it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: November 08, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »

That said, the civil rights act has a hell of a lot more legal precedent and constitutional support.

... also there's less than zero chance clinton actually would try to overturn the civil rights act. Not even most GOP wonks would go that far. Why is this even a question?

They aren't explictly saying that though, seems more being willfully blind to the effects of voter suppression and seeing it as their own echo chamber thoughts rather than the actual reason.
They word it like that, yes, but this is the NCGOP. Both the legal verdicts and their own goddamn words indicate they know exactly what's happened.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: November 08, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »

Made a mistake it's the Voting Right Act I was talking about.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: November 08, 2016, 03:59:17 pm »

Why would she overturn that one either? That one has already been gutted anyway.

You're going to have to clarify what you mean here, whether to remove that or restore it. Also, the Citizens United (more like Corporations United) and the Voting Rights Act are two completely different things.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:01:57 pm by smjjames »

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: November 08, 2016, 04:04:03 pm »

I'll clarify the question. Is there enough meat on the VRA to get a new case to overturned the decision and get back the protections it gave originally or does it need a new law for that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: November 08, 2016, 04:08:58 pm »

I see. She can't directly tell them to overturn something, but she can nominate those who would be inclined to overturn Citizens United and restore the Voting Rights Act.

Making a new law to amend it may be an avenue, but that's something the legislature (which is Congress, which is the Senate and House of Representatives) does, not the president. She could operate the political machinery behind the scenes and encourage one, yes, but she couldn't do it directly.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1249