Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392853 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7425 on: October 17, 2016, 11:07:29 am »

You know what's scary: if UXLZ was from here, it isn't improbable that they might be exactly as uninformed and confident, but they'd be able to vote.

If it seems like people are being a bit dismissive about your age, lots of us remember being 18 and how embarrassingly dumb we later realized we were. I know an absurd amount of trivia, understand a wide range of theoretical and experimental science, and enjoy learning more about mathematics. That hasn't change since I was 18 or younger.

I've also had 18 years to look back at many of the cringeworthy and stupid things I thought back then.

Go take a wiki walk through the Clinton and Trump pages to get a feel for things before trying to use intuition to judge things, generally when people talk about "their intuition/gut tells me" something, what they really mean is "my brain is combining information I've learned and signals I've developed the ability to parse and interpret over my life to identify underlying patterns of information" not literally "I got a bad feeling about this" type of stuff.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:15 am »

generally when people talk about "their intuition/gut tells me" something, what they really mean is "my brain is combining information I've learned and signals I've developed the ability to parse and interpret over my life to identify underlying patterns of information" not literally "I got a bad feeling about this" type of stuff.
My gut tells me that I probably shouldn't have had so much of the Hot And Spicy, last night. Soon, I suspect that I'll also have an arsehole telling me this, too.  (...cue superfluous Trump joke.)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: October 17, 2016, 11:19:19 am »

I'll be honest: I use my gut feelings about the candidates to navigate the accusations of them where it seems ambiguous to whether or not they're guilty.

Trump seems to lie honestly, while Clinton seems to tell the truth dishonestly. If that makes sense? Like, Trump lies not because he's specifically calculated it, most of the time, but because he's just spouting off whatever the fuck comes to mind(not what's in his heart, mind you, just whatever he can think of first, no filtration). Clinton meanwhile....plots. And double-checks her shit. She's good about that. But making sure the fact-checkers back you up doesn't mean you can't be misleading. I'd still trust her over Trump, because as far as I know she's got a good heart. If she's done shady stuff (pretty sure she's done some but few haven't, unfortunately), I think she did it with at least mostly good intentions. When politics gets the way it does, 'anything to beat the other guys, even if it's less than legal' ends up feeling like an acceptable choice.

Trump, on the other hand, is running a presidential bid out of spite and advertising. He doesn't have genuine personal views in this election, he is genuinely trying to represent the American public. The more hysterical parts of it. In the Athenian sense. That's how demagogues work, after all. He wants to have his ego and elect it too.

Although what's interesting to me is that from my communications textbook, people are surprisingly good at snap judgments about politicians from appearance alone.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: October 17, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »

I'll go ahead and say: nobody fights for childrens rights since the 60's without honestly caring about children.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: October 17, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »

Clinton meanwhile....plots. And double-checks her shit. She's good about that. But making sure the fact-checkers back you up doesn't mean you can't be misleading. I'd still trust her over Trump, because as far as I know she's got a good heart. If she's done shady stuff (pretty sure she's done some but few haven't, unfortunately), I think she did it with at least mostly good intentions. When politics gets the way it does, 'anything to beat the other guys, even if it's less than legal' ends up feeling like an acceptable choice.
So, sort of a "she's a right bastard, but she's OUR bastard" thing? Cause that's how I've kind of settled into voting for her.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: October 17, 2016, 12:49:02 pm »

Eh. It's not about which party, it's just that I don't think she does it for herself for money or anything. I think she has an agenda larger than herself. Trump very clearly does not. If she's corrupt, it's in a partisan manner, not a selfish one. All her scandals are comparatively minor, on their own, and I'm pretty sure she learns from mistakes.

I'm voting for her because of the two she's better by far anyway. She will at least be a President, for one thing...and status quo is better than burning the system down.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: October 17, 2016, 01:16:37 pm »

My oh my, the condescension really comes quite naturally to some of you guys.

It happens whenever someone is second from the left.  I used to be second from the left.  It sucked.  Now I'm third from the left which feels FANTASTIC.  I never want it to end.

All the way on the left is alright but it feels like the entire world is against you (because it is).  Second from the left you are exposed to the hostility of the all the way on the left who is in a grumpy mood because the world is against them but nobody to your right has any sympathy for you.  Third from the left you have the person to your left too busy with the person to their left while the person to your right is too apathetic to give you any shit.

But making sure the fact-checkers back you up doesn't mean you can't be misleading.

"Fact checking" has turned into something I hate.  I cant exactly say what is wrong with it but it's really insideous.  The reason why we should care about Clinton mostly telling the truth and Trump mostly telling lies isn't because of fact check brownie points.  If there is a problem, Clinton is a lot better equipped to handle it because she understands reality.  Trump sees a truth he doesn't like and he just pretends.  The fact checkers just seem to want to award brownie points.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:20:12 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7432 on: October 17, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »

So is Peter Thiel Elon Musk's evil twin? Thiel is inexplicably throwing away more than a million dollars to support Trump, which at this point would be better spent on the North American USSR Appreciation Society.

EDIT: Ah, no. He just wants to be a supreme court justice. If I had his kind of money, betting $1.2m on a 10% chance of lifetime employment would be a reasonable gamble.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:38:05 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: October 17, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »

So,  who's Max Levchin funding, then?  Johnson?

(Actually, looks like a decent match in some regards...)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: October 17, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »

So is Peter Thiel Elon Musk's evil twin? Thiel is inexplicably throwing away more than a million dollars to support Trump, which at this point would be better spent on the North American USSR Appreciation Society.
Damn you for getting my hopes up that society actually existed.

The closest looks like the Stalin Society of North America, which just isn't the same.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: October 17, 2016, 01:40:33 pm »

Damn you for getting my hopes up that society actually existed.

It is an annual society that meets once a year on thanksgiving day at my parents house.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: October 17, 2016, 01:43:22 pm »

It has no website, m. As we all know, if it has no website, it doesn't exist.

... though now I'm wondering how many generations it's going to be before that's a common sentiment, oft repeated with a straight face and complete seriousness.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: October 17, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »

And in a gratuitous waste of bandwidth and screen real estate
Spoiler: Checkmate, theists. (click to show/hide)
Warning: I didn't resize it.

In actual political sorta' news, apparently some part of the GOP's call campaign is shilling one of D'Souza's hillary movies. I hadn't even heard of that guy before today, at least as a movie maker. I wish I still hadn't >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: October 17, 2016, 02:00:46 pm »

It has no website, m. As we all know, if it has no website, it doesn't exist.

... though now I'm wondering how many generations it's going to be before that's a common sentiment, oft repeated with a straight face and complete seriousness.
Zero? The net is intertwined now, the age before its coming now exists only in memory, and shall fade away in, say....40 years?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: October 17, 2016, 02:04:36 pm »

That's normal, yes. It's probably worth noting I've got firefox open with a couple dozen, too.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1249