Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392800 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4365 on: September 19, 2016, 08:55:30 am »

You just need to make longer points.  Then your original post about the placebo can be diluted.  In fact make entirely new posts that dont mention the placebo angle at all.  That way they will have the memory of the placebo and be as strong as possible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:47 am »

Well around these parts they bill themselves as an alternative to medicine.
I see no problem as long as people don't mind undergoing the alternative to being healed...

But I fear this is a diversion.  While someone pretends to reach into you and extract a tumor that looks strangely like sheep offal.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: September 19, 2016, 09:10:20 am »

I'm having a hard time summoning pity for Hillary Clinton not getting fair treatment from the media, considering the primary.

It wasn't until the New York primary that anyone bothered to ask Bernie Sanders what his plan to break up the banks was.  He already had no chance of winning.

Awww but the media treated poor little bernie bad when they did nothing but talk about how he excited people and americans are unsatisfied with the status quo.
I didn't say Bernie got unfair treatment. Bernie gave them an underdog story to report, and they ate that shit up, although it was typically in the context of "but what chance does the plucky little Vermont senator have against the power of the Clinton machine?"

I'm talking about how they all but called the election for her as soon as she announced her candidacy. Or how they consistently included superdelegate counts in her totals, making it appear that she was already 1/4 of the way to winning before the voting even started. Most people (especially those with only a passing interest in politics) want to be on the winning team, it's just human nature. If you were asked to pick a team to root for in a sports event that you had no interest in, and were told that the score was 38-3, most people would pick the team with 38.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: September 19, 2016, 09:12:09 am »

If you were asked to pick a team to root for in a sports event that you had no interest in, and were told that the score was 38-3, most people would pick the team with 38.

Not in Maryland they wouldn't.  Hating the Yankees is a fucking religion here.  We might like the O's but we hate the Yankees.

And the effect you are talking about is very small in either direction.  While the effect of implying nonstop for months that she mishandled classified information and then never breaking the news that she didn't was fucking huge.  She is considered as untrustworthy as Donald Trump for something that never happened.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: September 19, 2016, 09:17:16 am »

it's that she had so many pledged delegates before the primaries even began.

It's basically cheating to ask elected democratic officials to vote for the democrat who is the standard bearer for their cause and not the man who only signed up to highjack the party and left the nanosecond he lost. /s
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: September 19, 2016, 09:21:03 am »

Makes sense.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: September 19, 2016, 09:25:36 am »

IIRC, yes.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: September 19, 2016, 10:12:29 am »

It's basically cheating to ask elected democratic officials to vote for the democrat who is the standard bearer for their cause and not the man who only signed up to highjack the party and left the nanosecond he lost. /s
Huh. Y'know, I hadn't noticed he actually did go back to being independent when he returned to the senate, and indeed basically goddamn immediately. Had wondered previously if he was going to do that or not, but apparently so and even more shamelessly than I was expecting. I guess theoretically he could actually be doing what the aide said and holding that particular position as one, and will return to claiming to be a democrat after, but... at this point, I don't think I'm going to be holding my breath.

Seriously bloody regret my primary vote at this point, for all I made it expecting th'guy to lose my state. I may like some of the positions sanders pushed for but he's been pretty damn scummy this past year or so. Definitely more than a little disappointing. Kinda' liked the guy before this campaign cycle started :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:05 am »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: September 19, 2016, 11:26:42 am »

Even if he's gone back to labeling himself an independent, hasn't he been dutifully endorsing Hillary ever since he lost the primary?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: September 19, 2016, 11:38:36 am »

Even if he's gone back to labeling himself an independent, hasn't he been dutifully endorsing Hillary ever since he lost the primary?
The only thing worse than an infidel is a heretic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: September 19, 2016, 11:40:19 am »

The only thing worse than an infidel is a heretic.

What about new prophets? Aren't they even worse?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4377 on: September 19, 2016, 11:46:23 am »

Hillary aught to run on likely dying soon. "I will likely die in office, unlike my opponent, who has years of terrible legislation ahead of him."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: September 19, 2016, 11:51:07 am »

Something I learned not too long ago is that Clinton is younger than Trump. You read that right. Younger by two years.

Trump is actually the one more likely to die, also because men don't live as long.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: September 19, 2016, 12:26:20 pm »

He has, but that doesn't change that it's functionally backstabbing the organization he just spent several months taking significant advantage of. Well, backstabbing more. Dude got a metric fuckton more out of the democrat party than he put in, and then promptly dipped when metric fuckton didn't end up being goddamn everything. "Hey, thanks for giving me what was probably the largest political boost of my goddamn career! Peace out chumps. What? Help you folks some in return? Nah." Except it was less "thanks" and more "fuck you". Since, y'know. He may be endorsing clinton but he also seems fairly intent on pissing on the group he just used (fucked over, to a fair extent, really) to drastically improve his visibility and crap.

Sanders seems to be intent on making it really damn clear he ran as a democrat in bad faith, with zero intention of actually doing much of anything for the party except take advantage of the name for a campaign cycle. Doesn't sit right with me at all, y'know? If he'd stayed independent from the beginning it wouldn't bother me much, if at all, (and he probably wouldn't have made the news basically at all, but still), but that's not how he decided to play things out.

I'll be a little less pissed if it actually turns out he does what that aide said, or makes at least some sort of notable contributions to the organization he just got a serious boost from in the interim, but, again. From how this election cycle's played out my expectations of sanders vis a vis that sort of integrity are pretty damn low.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1249