Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392384 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4395 on: September 19, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

In better news, it turns out they are on the trail of the New York bomber because a backpack thief tried to steal one of the bomb suitcases: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/09/americas-newest-heroes-bag-thieves-and-backpack-snatchers

Do you guys think politicians are principled? (not a rhetorical question, though I an cynical)

I think most all of them are.  The exception are pretty extreme (Donald Trump, Marion Barry, Rob Begoyaloawhachamacallitvich) and easy to spot.  Politicians just have many different values they are principled about.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 19, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »

(Not a prediction, just a guess) Hillary Clinton will lose because of her connection with Obama and her sex. The racists and sexists will come out of the closet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4397 on: September 19, 2016, 01:32:39 pm »

Do you guys think politicians are principled? (not a rhetorical question, though I an cynical)
Depends

I think all successful politicians ultimately end up having to become compromised, or else autocratic

In better news, it turns out they are on the trail of the New York bomber because a backpack thief tried to steal one of the bomb suitcases: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/09/americas-newest-heroes-bag-thieves-and-backpack-snatchers
The young men, who sources described as being well-dressed, opened the bag and took the bomb out, sources said, before placing the explosive into a garbage bag and walking away with the rolling suitcase. In doing so, investigators believe they inadvertently disabled the explosive, sources said. That allowed investigators to examine the cellphone attached to the bomb intact and discover that it was connected to the family of Rahami.
Ahahaha, I'm happy for these thieves, that could've gone poorly rather quickly

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 19, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »

Obama polls pretty well these days.  Of course it's hard to say what effect this election is having on those numbers so grain of salt.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: September 19, 2016, 01:38:53 pm »

Brexit polls.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 19, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »

The young men, who sources described as being well-dressed, opened the bag and took the bomb out, sources said, before placing the explosive into a garbage bag and walking away with the rolling suitcase. In doing so, investigators believe they inadvertently disabled the explosive, sources said. That allowed investigators to examine the cellphone attached to the bomb intact and discover that it was connected to the family of Rahami.
Ahahaha, I'm happy for these thieves, that could've gone poorly rather quickly
I've never been so happy for human greed in my life.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 19, 2016, 01:59:05 pm »

If people broke into more and more varied buildings, human trafficking might be lessened. Overpopulation may be lessened by eating Irish infants.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 19, 2016, 02:11:04 pm »

Obama polls pretty well these days.  Of course it's hard to say what effect this election is having on those numbers so grain of salt.

I'd say he's compromised. At least in the sense of being pragmatic/not being able to do all the things he wanted to do and it seems like no longer trying.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 19, 2016, 02:14:50 pm »

Compromise is his middle name.  But that doesn't make him unpopular with swing voters.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »

His middle name is Hussein, which may spawn memes: "Is America filled with terrorists?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 19, 2016, 02:22:12 pm »

His middle name is Hussein, which may spawn memes: "Is America filled with terrorists?"

Next you'll say they think he's muslim.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 19, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »

It's interesting to see how the democratic party is being viewed a much more positive light here than it was prior to the election. Whereas before it was commonly derided as the less diseased half of a failing system, now it would appear to be a misunderstood victim of circumstance worthy of sympathy. There's been a definite shift in how people here are viewing their relationship to the party, and I've noticed it elsewhere as well.

If you are someone who finds themselves thinking differently, how do you feel now about the democratic party's values in relation to issues like the role of corporations, the pace of environmental action, income inequality, the nature of the welfare state, war/terrorism, or the other issues that people have commonly found objectionable here? Would you say it's you, the party, or your perception of the party that's changed?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 19, 2016, 03:58:56 pm »

His parting gifts to the democratic party was turning their goddamn convention into a whinefest about TPP and getting their chairwoman fired in a humiliating display of deference to his ego.  She could have been quietly removed the way the democratic leadership wanted but no it had to be done in a humiliating way that pleased Bernie Sanders the self indulgent child around whom the earth revolves.
Holy shit mainiac, are you surrounded in Bernie supporters or something 24/7
I can feel this roast
I mean, pretty much here.  Not 100%, but it used to be pretty extreme...
And they're pretty good points, though I blame Sanders supporters more than Sanders himself.  Like Trump, I think the loudest supporters are completely out of hand.
Are the people who hate on Clinton literally surrounded by references to her email 24/7?
Hehe, sure seems that way
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:03 pm »

I... think you may be misattributing some voices, UG. I don't think I've noticed too many here change opinions of any particular party, m'self. Personally, about the only one I've shifted on is sanders, iirc. My opinion of the party itself is pretty irrelevant to how his interactions with it have panned out. Maybe clinton a bit as well... I definitely wasn't as aware of her actual history a year or two ago, and a fair bit less troubled by the prospect of her as POTUS. Still would prefer someone a bit further left (just... without the issues the current batch of notable ones seem to have), but eh.

And certainly some of Sanders' supporters have been even more of a shit than he has. His own behavior has definitely turned me off of him more than anything they've done, though. Some of that has included his interactions with em, but *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 19, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »

You can't blame the supporters for firing DWS.  Sanders could have diffused the situation with a sentence or two about burying the hatchet.  Instead he demanded her resignation.  That is not somebody who wants to be a teamplayer.  That is someone who wants to get as much as he possibly can by taking an adversarial stance.

Still would prefer someone a bit further left

There isn't very much room to the left of Clinton, politically.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1249