Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393020 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #3945 on: September 11, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »

Trump: so yuge that he can be both candidates at once. All he needs to do during the debates is run back and forth between the podiums radically alternating between different political platforms.

So the only change is that he's getting more exercise?

Yep. The plan is for him to have a massive heart attack on stage weeks before the election.
If Trump has a heart attack, and Clinton's pneumonia becomes severe enough that she dies or is too incapacitated to serve as president, do we end up voting between vice presidents, or just immediately descend into civil war?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession notes that if on inauguration day there is not a president-elect, the vice president-elect assumes the role of at least acting president and most likely will be approved as full president, after which the usual succession order is followed.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: September 11, 2016, 07:40:53 pm »

There is a silver lining to this.  We may have found the one possible thing that could bypass the bullshit "Trump beat expectations" narrative for the first debate.  Yesterday it seemed like a decent bet that as long as Trump didn't soil himself on stage the media was going to announce that he beat expectations and Clinton had failed to put him away.  Now it looks like as long as Clinton is literally able to stand upright for most of the debate she is beating expectations and Trump had failed to overcome her.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what if Clinton passes out during the debate and Trump soils himself.  I have no clue how the media would judge things then.

Was the 2000 election this bad, or am I just nostalgic? I vaugely remember it being a political travesty where Bush was a clearly flawed candidate and things went terribly wrong, but now I look back and I wonder what happened to those glory days when both parties had competent candidates.

Well they treated Gore as a pathological liar although not quite to the same extent as they treat Clinton.  They didn't treat Bush like the regressive liar that he was although Bush was nowhere near as dishonest as Trump (although much more regressive then Trump).  But that's a bit like saying a bucket of water isn't as wet as the ocean.

It's bad to say, but the democratic party might be better off if Hillary dies. Not counting the sympathy vote, the mere fact that they can guiltlessly replace her with Bernie or Biden (or both) would lock the election down.

If Clinton were to die or withdraw for health reasons her replacement would be chosen by the democratic national committee.  That is basically the superdelegates.  They would be extremely unlikely to chose Joe Biden.  They would be extremely, extremely unlikely to chose Bernie Sanders, the man who just spent a year ratfucking them.  Tim Kaine would be a logical choice for continuity reasons.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession notes that if on inauguration day there is not a president-elect, the vice president-elect assumes the role of at least acting president and most likely will be approved as full president, after which the usual succession order is followed.
President Jack Ryan... That's who we need.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: September 11, 2016, 08:04:38 pm »

If Clinton were to die or withdraw for health reasons her replacement would be chosen by the democratic national committee. all hell would break loose and 2016 really would be erased from future textbooks.

They would be extremely unlikely to chose Joe Biden.
Wouldn't matter if they did anyway, Biden's got a fair too many dead family members to want to be President or deal with Trump. By his own admission, essentially.
They would be extremely, extremely unlikely to chose Bernie Sanders, the man who just spent a year ratfucking them.  Tim Kaine would be a logical choice for continuity reasons.
I don't know about this one. Regardless of how they feel about Sanders, the fact of the matter is that he's the only other person with support strength to his name. Kaine is kind of a boring nobody. He was selected on the basis of how much of a boring nobody he is. That seems like a very bad idea against Trump. We saw what happened the last time it was the choice between a pack of boring nobodies and Trump's WWE persona.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: September 11, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »

Regardless of how they feel about Sanders, the fact of the matter is that he's the only other person with support strength to his name.

So what?  The democrats would love to be able to nominate a generic democrat this year.  A league average replacement player could do things like stay on message and not call members of the party corrupt.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: September 11, 2016, 08:25:43 pm »

Tim Kaine seems cool though. Not Obama cool, but arguably he is the coolest of the six people running for titles with the word "President" in their name (I don't know nor care about Johnson or Jill Stein's VP). Even Republicans think he's ok, and that's a hell of a compliment.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: September 11, 2016, 08:50:42 pm »

Mostly a compliment, at least.

Regardless, I'd be pretty okay with Kane. Blandly inoffensive or not, he's a blandly inoffensive you can make Nod jokes about, and that's close enough to enough it's enough enough to get by.

... also he's neither trump nor sanders, and that's broadly speaking a point for at this point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:52:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: September 11, 2016, 08:58:21 pm »

Regardless of how they feel about Sanders, the fact of the matter is that he's the only other person with support strength to his name.

So what?  The democrats would love to be able to nominate a generic democrat this year.  A league average replacement player could do things like stay on message and not call members of the party corrupt.
I said what. Recall the fate of Jeb Bush. Kane would suffer the same, I'm almost certain. Clinton gets away with it because she's a household name and the paragon of party politics (a-a-alliteration!), but that's unique to her. I think Trump could actually drag Kane down and make him commit severe errors.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: September 11, 2016, 09:10:10 pm »

The only thing I'm not sure about is what if Clinton passes out during the debate and Trump soils himself.  I have no clue how the media would judge things then.
Please Armok, Thor, Vishnu, Quetzalcoatl, Yahweh, and any others I may have missed, let this be the low point for political speculation this election season.

Please.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: September 11, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »

I said what. Recall the fate of Jeb Bush. Kane would suffer the same, I'm almost certain.

Tim Kaine would be weighed down by his super unpopular brother and advocacy for policies that are way out of step with the electorate?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:14 pm »

I said what. Recall the fate of Jeb Bush. Kane would suffer the same, I'm almost certain.

Tim Kaine would be weighed down by his super unpopular brother and advocacy for policies that are way out of step with the electorate?
Yes, exactly, that and his record (MY RECORD).
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: September 11, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »

It'd either work amazingly or crash into a novel with more pages than sense.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: September 11, 2016, 10:42:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure one page isn't enough for a novel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: September 11, 2016, 10:48:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure one page isn't enough for a novel.

I'd need to reread Executive Orders to be positive and I know that I don't have the inclination to invest that time right now, much less Debt of Honor, Rainbow Six, and Teeth of the Tiger (all of which have President Ryan as important portions), but I do recall enough to say that he wouldn't be a bad choice and would almost be getting my vote/support.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: September 11, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »

It's pretty amazing how quickly Wikileaks transitioned from an effort to increase transparency to... whatever the hell this is:

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1249