Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392025 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2940 on: August 15, 2016, 02:45:37 pm »

Take a look at historical American populist movements. That cross of gold speech guy, for instance.

Almost any -ist can be used as a pejorative. It helps imply mindless doctrine. The other term for technocrat is elitist.

Sidenote: a surprising number of bridges in America are in fact at risk of falling into their rivers.

It has always stumped me that the ancient Romans could build bridges that still stand strong in present day, yet our modern society builds bridges that need replacing every half century.
Planned obsolescence; we don't think in terms of centuries, we think in terms of decades.

Also the Romans didn't build them to the size we do, and companies will cut more corners on that sort of thing than workers who'll be literally crucified if the bridge breaks.

Also selection bias and iterative design; we don't see all the bridges that did was away, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »

How did you manage to godwin with that? Anyway....

On the whole vetting thing, Trump mentioned about extreme vetting, his list:

On Trump’s list of people to be excluded:

– sympathizers of terrorist groups

– those who do not believe in our constitution

– those who believe in bigotry or hatred (he's one to talk about bigotry when he acts like one)

– those who believe shariah law should supplant US law

– those not expected to “flourish in our country”

– those who would not embrace American ideals

The last two seem ripe for massively opening the door to excluding other people besides muslims. America is are supposed to be inclusive, not exclusive, and yes I'm aware of the reality, but still, that's supposed to be the moral we follow.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: August 15, 2016, 02:51:21 pm »

– those who do not believe in our constitution
boy, i despise trump on constitutional stuff anyway
mr. wants-to-"open-up"-libel-laws and mr. thinks-that-people-who-would-protest-closing-the-internet-on-first-amendment-grounds-are-"foolish-people"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:52 pm »

Theres also the whole enforceability and constitutionality of it, and the last two seems like something that would be abused.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: August 15, 2016, 02:57:53 pm »

oh yeah, those are some blatantly anti-first-amendment things too, to be sure

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: August 15, 2016, 03:00:16 pm »

While the Hitler comparison might be a bit extreme, I can't think of a better one.
Mussolini has a similarly stupid face.

Honestly, the Manafort thing and Trump's huge campaign issues are the biggest arguments against him being President. Not that all the other things aren't terribad in their own way, but the sheer incompetence we see indicates that a Trump cabinet would be similarly incompetent, and ruled by the same sort of power-struggles that Bush Jr. suffered. I mean, the same issues that he has in the campaign would apply to any cabinet: no one serious wants to taint themselves with him, so he ends up with a very low bar for entry and ruled by ideologues with little experience or who've been out of the game for years. Part of being President is a huge amount of delegating to competent administrators; do you think Trump has competent administrators to bring in?

I mean Trump could easily end up parading himself around for four years while offending every human alive, while his lackeys run rampant and unleash hell.
Gun control advocates say the government will protect you, but that's just a bald-faced lie. When the government just stands down and lets rioters rule the streets, it's a good idea to have a gun around.
It's extremely good for an individual to have a gun around, but from the perspective of society, it is NOT good to add guns to riots. This is a conflict between public and private good.

On the topic of vetting, do we not already do vetting? I mean we vet plenty already. Hell I have a document on file from the FBI telling my grandfather that he would be deported for voluntary membership in a communist party in his country of origin. It didn't stick (only because of the intervention of certain interested parties), but there is already precedent for denying people entry on the basis of authoritarianism. In fact, that law is still on the books today.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:01:51 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:01 pm »

On the topic of vetting, do we not already do vetting? I mean we vet plenty already. Hell I have a document on file from the FBI telling my grandfather that he would be deported for voluntary membership in a communist party in his country of origin. It didn't stick (only because of the intervention of certain interested parties), but there is already precedent for denying people entry on the basis of authoritarianism. In fact, that law is still on the books today.

He said EXTREME vetting, meaning even stricter/harder/severe/thorough than it is now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2947 on: August 15, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »

-snippy snippy-

I... Can you provide sources for this information?  As an avid gun collector who has spent years trying to find factual, moral justification for his hobby (and mostly failed), I would be exceptional interested in actual sources.  Not to insult you or anything, but the vast majority of gun-positive hearsay I've fact-checked ended up being false or misrepresented, despite my biases, so I'm a tad mistrusting of your anecdotes.  :\
Here's your justification.

Gun control advocates say the government will protect you, but that's just a bald-faced lie. When the government just stands down and lets rioters rule the streets, it's a good idea to have a gun around.

So you're saying it would be better if all the rioters had guns?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: August 15, 2016, 03:55:46 pm »

So you're saying it would be better if all the rioters had guns?

The problem would sort itself out quickly and the survivors wouldn't have to deal with this shit anymore.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: August 15, 2016, 04:14:08 pm »

It has always stumped me that the ancient Romans could build bridges that still stand strong in present day, yet our modern society builds bridges that need replacing every half century.
Roman bridges that did not last half a century (also those that 'only' lasted a century or even a handful of centuries) aren't there today to be admired for their 'overengineered' longevity.

I'm sure there were many bridges that didn't last, but they then got replaced or forgotten about (probably after robbing most of the material that it doesn't take modern geosurveying of the right location to even find again!). At best, they formed an incidental background detail in the history of the new(er) bridge that did last until more recent history as an actual example of the infallible engineering of the Romans(/Greeks/Egyptians/Mesopotanians/Space Aliens)...

But that's getting off topic,. Just it's something I've always wanted to say. ;)

[also more succinctly ninjaed by the following, it seems...]

Also selection bias and iterative design; we don't see all the bridges that did was[/wash] away, after all.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:18:53 pm by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: August 15, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »

Well, anything made from stone that is at least very well constructed is going to last for a hell of a long time just by virtue of it's material.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 15, 2016, 04:54:55 pm »

But that's getting off topic,. Just it's something I've always wanted to say. ;)

Of topic is where this thread belongs.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:12 pm »

I recently went to the big aqueduct that provided water for roman Nimes in southern france, the Pont du Gard it was super-cool.

It's several hundred meters long and about fifty high, is precision engineered and survived centuries of enthusiastic middle-ages peasants nicking stones out of the ends. The aqueduct descends 2.5 centimeters along its length.  It is part of an aqueduct system about 50 kilometers long, over which length there was a maximum of 12 meters of descent.

The romans were really, really good at this shit.

They did patch it up in the 1800s after an earthquake on the basis that they'd used it as a support for the road bridge across the river and if it collapsed it would take the bridge with it, apparently
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:54:14 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: August 15, 2016, 07:09:35 pm »

I bet in Roman times people complained about the ridiculous waste of building massive stone things that last forever, when there are more pressing issues like military campaign finance reform and the gross concentration of wealth in the top 1% of villa owners.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: August 15, 2016, 07:35:10 pm »

What you say sounds iffy to me.  Jobs for the boys, shows the awesomeness of roman rule and makes your cities safer.  Also the Romans were pretty good at constantly reforming their military.  Right up until the end they kicked ass.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:37:07 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1249