Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392066 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2970 on: August 15, 2016, 09:55:23 pm »

Does that make him literally ineligible for president or just more reasons why people on every side of the aisle should despise him and wait for the next populist candidate?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: August 15, 2016, 09:58:26 pm »

Eugene Debs got 6% of the popular vote while in prison for sedition, so no.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: August 15, 2016, 10:00:14 pm »

Oh, I'm certain one can get votes. I mean actually getting to be president.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: August 15, 2016, 10:02:12 pm »

Trump is a Democrat sleeper, obviously...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: August 15, 2016, 10:02:19 pm »

I suppose that would depend on whether or not Congress was willing to pass and uphold articles of impeachment against an alleged or convicted criminal who won the election anyway.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: August 15, 2016, 10:04:35 pm »

Ah, good. Considering his support among congress members, that gives me hope that in the slim chance he wins, we have a second chance. Which would also be slim, but hey. Maybe it wouldn't start too many riots.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:19 pm »

Oh, I'm certain one can get votes. I mean actually getting to be president.

I don't really know to be honest, though sure he could be impeached, and this kind of thing usually sinks politicians chances.

I suppose that would depend on whether or not Congress was willing to pass and uphold articles of impeachment against an alleged or convicted criminal who won the election anyway.

They might try to do that on Clinton, but the opposition against Trump is pretty bipartisan, so, they'd have an actual reason along with little resistance from Republicans.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: August 15, 2016, 10:23:18 pm »

the opposition against Trump is pretty bipartisan

If this is the way we are using the word "bipartisan" these days, we suck at bipartisanship.  Sure some of them dont like him but he is the freaking nominee.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:17 pm »

This seems like the natural evolution of bipartisan standards, given what they've been.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: August 15, 2016, 10:34:09 pm »

If this is the way we are using the word "bipartisan" these days, we suck at bipartisanship.  Sure some of them dont like him but he is the freaking nominee.
Fair chunk, by all appearances. It's bipartisan in the sense you might actually get more than two republican politicians to vote to impeach the guy if it came to it.

... some people have really low standards for bipartisanship, these days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37:51 pm »

the opposition against Trump is pretty bipartisan

Moral Standards Trump Party Loyalty

Finest slogan I can imagine for the anti-Trump Republican campaign at this point.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: August 15, 2016, 11:54:29 pm »

-snippy snippy-

I... Can you provide sources for this information?  As an avid gun collector who has spent years trying to find factual, moral justification for his hobby (and mostly failed), I would be exceptional interested in actual sources.  Not to insult you or anything, but the vast majority of gun-positive hearsay I've fact-checked ended up being false or misrepresented, despite my biases, so I'm a tad mistrusting of your anecdotes.  :\

Yes, can provide non-wikipedia sources for everything. I'll PM you later today to avoid cluttering this thread any more(also need to dig up some of the links, I'm not at home atm).

Mind you, I dont think that everyone needs or should have a gun either. I have a feeling that especially short guns / handguns carried and in hands of inexperienced people(= most, as many who get a gun in US for self defense never practice using it nor practice other means of self defense) have an overall negative safety/health effect, but I still believe everyone including the weak should have the right and means to defend themselves. My own rifles are for hunting, target shooting and SHTF situations, I dont carry, although carrying isnt legal here either.

I'm not sure why you need moral justification; guns are useful, shooting is fun and many have interesting history or technology. Same goes for, say, knives or swords, vehicles and so forth. As long as you handle them responsibly and dont let them fall in wrong hands, you're one of the good guys.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:01:17 am by Erkki »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: August 16, 2016, 12:46:07 am »

I can't keep up anymore. Ivanka Trump is on holidays in Eastern Europe. Her travel buddy? Putin's girlfriend (who also happens to be Rupert Murdoch's ex-wife).
http://gawker.com/ivanka-trump-hanging-out-in-croatia-with-vladimir-putin-1785290129

They apparently go way back. Wendi set Ivanka up with her husband. But it definitely raises some "issues", if the American President's daughter is best friends with the mistress of the Russian President / ex KGB head.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:51:54 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: August 16, 2016, 12:55:05 am »

The plot twist is that it's not a political plot but actually a hot lesbian getaway.

Uh...in Croatia.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: August 16, 2016, 01:14:28 am »

Apparently the Wendi Deng / Putin link isn't 100% backed by photographic evidence, but we do have photos of her palling around on the yacht belonging to one of Putin's best friends - billionaire Roman Abramovich. So, the most charitable conclusion is that Ivanka is best pals with a girl who pals around with Russian oligarchs who are buddies with Putin:

Abramovich was the first person to originally recommend to Yeltsin that Vladimir Putin be his successor as the Russian president. When Putin formed his first cabinet as Prime Minister in 1999, Abramovich interviewed each of the candidates for cabinet positions before they were approved. Subsequently Abramovich would remain one of Putin's closest confidants. In 2007 Putin consulted in meetings with Abramovich on the question of who should be his successor as president - Medvedev was personally recommended by Abramovich.

So yeah, her connections might actually look worse that just banging Putin.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:20:06 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1249