Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394658 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2205 on: August 04, 2016, 03:52:26 pm »

What of Bill Clinton, with the focus on free trade that has allowed Wal-Mart to flourish so corrosively, or his womanizing (far worse, I'll remind you, than Clarence Thomas', and with more evidence)? Or his own particular brand of dishonesty, 'I did not inhale', which is, when I think about it, probably the largest influence on me having previously believed Hillary to be dishonest? His failure to enforce the Iraq sanctions, which I'll get you would have vastly reduced the mess we got in under Bush.

Wallmart?  I think that people overstate the effects of free trade on developed economies and falsely attribute things that have a lot more to do with technology to free trade.  Let me give you the sales numbers from the 1998 annual report (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/11/112761/ARs/1998_annualreport.pdf, pages 20 and 21).  The numbers after NAFTA goes into effect are in red.

Year: 1998   1997   1996   1995   1994   1993   1992   1991   1990   1989   1988
Sales: $117,958   $104,859   $93,627   $82,494   $67,344   $55,484   $43,887   $32,602   $25,811   $20,649   $15,959
Growth: 12%   12%   13%   22%   21%   26%   35%   26%   25%   29%   
Does 1994 look like the start of a great era for Walmart?  Sure doesn't look that way for me.

Bill Clintons womanizing?  I think that he engaged in sexual relations between consenting adults.  And I think that if you imply something more you are an idiot.  They dragged Bill Clinton through the mud, didn't pull any punches and all they could make stick was sex between consenting adults.

Clarence Thomas?  I think it's pretty obvious that he sexually harassed a few women.

If "I did not inhale" shattered your innocence then I think it's a good fucking thing that your vote is dilluted among a hundred million people.

And the Iraq sanctions?  WEW FUCKING LAD.  Clinton enforced the Iraq sanctions.  Clinton bombed the Iraqi WMD program into the stone age.  That is why when the US army showed up in 2003 there was no WMD program left.  Seriously, this is some next fucking level revisionist history.  Clinton did a bang up job in the face of republican naysaying.

My level of emotion over the course of your post:
Wallmart: well yeah, a lot of people are skeptical of free trade and it's not like there weren't problems
Womanizing: what?  really?  heh, guess someone was too young for the 90s?
Clarence Thomas: Okay...?
I did not inhale: You gotta be shitting me
Iraq Sanctions: Flips desk, walks away.  Comes back five minutes later to post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:55:43 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: August 04, 2016, 03:56:10 pm »

Remember kids ye bald eagles of freedom, alcohol is drugs too. Thusly, most of the world population is a bunch of junkies. QED.
not me though, teetotaller forever; as such I should be your glorious (and sober) leader
*raises hand*
I don't alcohol either, can I be your vice president?
Yes. Teneb + TBF 2016.

Also, caffeine.  Everyone underestimates its impact on them so they can excuse drinking more.

-Teetotaler who also abstains from coffee and tea
Heretic. Fuck soft drinks though, they taste like crap

Spoiler: Also, lol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:58:48 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: August 04, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »

gj it's the current year 10/10
Ahem, it's brEXIT, not brANTER.
Current year morals need to die the fuck off, if you're offended by models and religion and words, but ok with marxism, warfare, and corporate raping of everyone... get in a fucking box, seriously, it's not the 20th century, and the rest of us are sick of having stupid bullshit foisted on us in the name of whatever social justice or other arbitrary justification you feel worthy at the time.

Womanizing, inhaling? If the dude or dudette in charge of keeping nuclear powers calm and cool wants some noggin or a joint, fucking fire them. I know it seems cliche to blame shit on high information voters and whatnot, but the information range of people supporting the big blue blob in the wig skews pretty heavily towards the "why the hell aren't you working" end of the employment charts. You start to lose touch with things when you've already been smoking weed your whole life and don't have to worry about a lot of the same shit your parents and grandparents did, so trying to foist some stupid ass post-moral bullshit and nonsense economics in a big freud-y wrapper off on them is fucked up.

I'm regularly having to point out to my friends when they start slipping into crazy-cat-lady land, they goes "whoops, fuck, how did that happen?" because they remember nothing, but it's really wild seeing them do that shit sometimes when they never grew up from a potsmoking flower child and later purpled it up in the hair.

The MANY things Clinton did which is worth hating on him for is the trade shit, fucking up the clusterfuck in the middle east can actually be blamed on his appointed advisors who went "yep, fuck this land from here, to there, and over there, fuck all the countries, ya'll get fucked now, y'hear" and completely ignored everything about freedom not being the only way.

Getting mad about other people not being apathetic as you is petty ass bullshit, it's the current fucking year, Cannabis will have a negative effect on your mental health, and being ok with gay marriage means being ok with a lot of Trump and Daddy.

Hella #86.

My sides. It only hurts when I laugh. BUT I CAN'T STOP
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: August 04, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »

I mean it's hilarious don't you think, to portray doctors as dude weed lmao, to just ignore facts in favour of your own experience as dude weed lmao
Mae'n ddrwg gen i. Dwi ddim yn deall. Rwy'n cymryd yn ganiataol eich bod yn ysmygu ar hyn o bryd?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »

Not the Fox News Murdoch that has really fit anchors and shit, nah the nasty paparazzi Murdoch that drags politicians names through the mud and into the pig sty every time they do something cheeky
Spoiler: I'd rather this one... (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 04, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »

What the feck are the welsh invading for?  We dont have any of yer fecking sheep, ya hear?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:02 pm »

How would you even know which of the sheep are for fecking?

Suspiciously specific denial, that!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 04, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »

Bill Clintons womanizing?  I think that he engaged in sexual relations between consenting adults.  And I think that if you imply something more you are an idiot.  They dragged Bill Clinton through the mud, didn't pull any punches and all they could make stick was sex between consenting adults.

Consenting adults, yes. One of whom, you will note, was a married man, and in a position of massive authority over the other. As silly as having impeachment hearings over it was, it remains pretty skeevy.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: August 04, 2016, 04:39:41 pm »

^Bill is definitely sleazy.
I never said I support Clinton, did I? I said hating on him over that shit is petty.
I never said I opposed Clinton did I? I said letting him go over that shit is petty.
I was responding to Role there. I don't care that Bush did drugs, I don't care that Obama did drugs, I don't care that Clinton did drugs, I do care that Harding did drugs, I don't care that Reagan was obviously an animated cyberzombie. I do care that Bush claimed to be from Texas, not on the "IT MEANS HE'S DISHONEST OMG" but because fuck that guy, we got our own homegrown idiots, you're responding to one, we don't need one from New England, thanks.
Also, LW, dude, wut? Your link was just scaretactic boilerplate about "dude, weed is gonna like, fuck you up man" and I said "seen", I smoked and quit several times at different points before that. I like weed, really do, it's a really fun buzz, much better than others I've tried, but it's no big deal to not have it.
Check yo factz.
Fam this is the national health service, where are your facts? I mean it's hilarious don't you think, to portray doctors as dude weed lmao, to just ignore facts in favour of your own experience as dude weed lmao

Get facts, check dubs, dude weed not even lmao
I don't even care to defend pot brah, it's a waste of time fighting it, it's a waste of timing fighting for it, it's a waste of time doing it, but if I'm going to waste time in any way involving pot I'm gonna get a buzz out of it.
I never said I support Clinton, did I? I said hating on him over that shit is petty.
When did I say I hated him?

Those are the biggest causes of the dislike I have of him. There's also a bunch of stuff I like him for, as it turns out. But he didn't lie for any good reason. 'I did not inhale' does not result in any voters going 'oh, good, he didn't technically break the law, I can still vote for him'. Odds are good that even if it did, it made more people disgusted with his inability to just admit it and be done with it. There was no purpose to lying in the way he did. Denying it, or admitting it, were both better options. He chose to be dishonest in, essentially, the scummiest way possible. How can I trust a president who'll lie on something as small as that, without even doing it in order to get votes?
Hating on, as in picking at in a petty fashion over nonsense. Unless Bill was trying to smack the big red "Don't Let Trump Push This Cause It Launches Nukes" button with his dick, what he does with it doesn't really matter. Same goes for any other President, and honestly if Hill can smack that button with her dick, she earned it I say.

There is one outstanding, and two potential future seats on the SCOTUS to worry about. I don't care if Hillary wants to eat babies, I can take comfort knowing that if she is appointing justices they won't be ones that help ensure a conservative majority for the next twenty years. I have no clue what the big lizard would do, and the scariest part: neither does he.

Letting people fill those seats in an attempt to appease a rapidly aging chunk of the population, so they can pass down decisions that all the rest of us will have to deal with long after said aging chunk who favors that sort of shit keels over, is a bad idea. It doesn't need explaining does it?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:41:46 pm by Max™ »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 04, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »

gj it's the current year 10/10
Ahem, it's brEXIT, not brANTER.
Current year morals need to die the fuck off, if you're offended by models and religion and words, but ok with marxism, warfare, and corporate raping of everyone... get in a fucking box, seriously, it's not the 20th century, and the rest of us are sick of having stupid bullshit foisted on us in the name of whatever social justice or other arbitrary justification you feel worthy at the time.

Womanizing, inhaling? If the dude or dudette in charge of keeping nuclear powers calm and cool wants some noggin or a joint, fucking fire them. I know it seems cliche to blame shit on high information voters and whatnot, but the information range of people supporting the big blue blob in the wig skews pretty heavily towards the "why the hell aren't you working" end of the employment charts. You start to lose touch with things when you've already been smoking weed your whole life and don't have to worry about a lot of the same shit your parents and grandparents did, so trying to foist some stupid ass post-moral bullshit and nonsense economics in a big freud-y wrapper off on them is fucked up.

I'm regularly having to point out to my friends when they start slipping into crazy-cat-lady land, they goes "whoops, fuck, how did that happen?" because they remember nothing, but it's really wild seeing them do that shit sometimes when they never grew up from a potsmoking flower child and later purpled it up in the hair.

The MANY things Clinton did which is worth hating on him for is the trade shit, fucking up the clusterfuck in the middle east can actually be blamed on his appointed advisors who went "yep, fuck this land from here, to there, and over there, fuck all the countries, ya'll get fucked now, y'hear" and completely ignored everything about freedom not being the only way.

Getting mad about other people not being apathetic as you is petty ass bullshit, it's the current fucking year, Cannabis will have a negative effect on your mental health, and being ok with gay marriage means being ok with a lot of Trump and Daddy.

Hella #86.

I don't know if this is just poking fun at Max or actual pointed satire, but I don't care. Either option is glorious.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 04, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »

I find this thread gets more offtopic the fewer controversies Donald Trump generates. Under a Trump presidency, this thread would reach new levels of on-topic, because a Trump presidency would be literally memes. No discussion of the polls? Come now. Polls have been coming in over the last week, and they are incredibly bad for Trump thus far. The "Now-cast" indicates that Trump should be glad polls aren't held today, because he'd be crushed by double digits.

The specifics of the bad news is that Trump is so behind in Colorado that Clinton pulled ads there, and Clinton maintains large leads in all the other battleground states, as well as nationally polling around +5.8 according to RCP, with the most recent Fox News poll putting it +10 Clinton (yeah, Fox News). The issue with the polling, as a conversation by Nate Silver and his colleagues, points out, is that it's difficult to separate the post-convention Clinton bump with Trump's comments on the Khans, and his numerous other controversies. Of course one could affect the other, and vice-versa, but as of right now it is unsure whether Trump is doing much better than polls indicate, or worse.
-snip-

I don't know if this is just poking fun at Max or actual pointed satire, but I don't care. Either option is glorious.
Never take Loud Whispers 100% serious or 100% unserious.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 04, 2016, 04:50:58 pm »

...snip for ranty incoherence

...Are you high? That's the #1 takeaway from that kind of post.

Look, come back with standard English and the ability to hit Enter in between quotes and I'll read your stuff, but in the meantime I'm just going to laugh whenever I see you posting.  Also: not every sentence needs to have 3 equally-long clauses.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 04, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »

I find this thread gets more offtopic the fewer controversies Donald Trump generates. Under a Trump presidency, this thread would reach new levels of on-topic, because a Trump presidency would be literally memes. No discussion of the polls? Come now. Polls have been coming in over the last week, and they are incredibly bad for Trump thus far. The "Now-cast" indicates that Trump should be glad polls aren't held today, because he'd be crushed by double digits.

The specifics of the bad news is that Trump is so behind in Colorado that Clinton pulled ads there, and Clinton maintains large leads in all the other battleground states, as well as nationally polling around +5.8 according to RCP, with the most recent Fox News poll putting it +10 Clinton (yeah, Fox News). The issue with the polling, as a conversation by Nate Silver and his colleagues, points out, is that it's difficult to separate the post-convention Clinton bump with Trump's comments on the Khans, and his numerous other controversies. Of course one could affect the other, and vice-versa, but as of right now it is unsure whether Trump is doing much better than polls indicate, or worse.
-snip-

The convention week is the first impression with average voters afaict.  Pre-convention is basically primary season, and only hardcore team fans participate.

So Trump and the Republican party's first nation-wide introduction to Average Jan was filled with mixed messages, party in-fighting and capped off by insulting veterans in the party that has recruited veterans heavily.

Clinton and the Democrats' national rollout nailed it by focusing on true and common messages, effective teamwork, and an emphasis on demonstrating that this is a group of people we can trust to focus on leading the nation, or at a minimum behave like adults in public. 
To summarize:

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 04, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »

Do I know you, Ghills?

We do need him to start being stupid so we can get some good quality shitpostan' down.
Exactly.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 04, 2016, 05:09:49 pm »

Consenting adults, yes. One of whom, you will note, was a married man, and in a position of massive authority over the other. As silly as having impeachment hearings over it was, it remains pretty skeevy.

The accusation was that Clinton was responsible for the current dishonesty of american politics employed by Trump not that he was skeevy.  Bill Clinton not keeping his dick in his pants is not blame for Trump.  He wasn't using slander and false rumormongering to attack people and make voters distrust the government.  If anything it was the witch hunt against Clinton which was the prototype of what Trump later would turn into.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1249