Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394436 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2220 on: August 04, 2016, 05:28:33 pm »

Spoiler: Also, lol (click to show/hide)
The Malt Island sounds like a pretty good place to be while Dishonesty Kingdom and Morality Kingdom are waging total war over Missionary Island.

Any resemblance to the 2016 presidential election is purely coincidental.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:33 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

Sorry for anti-Clintonites. But the treaty was signed by Bush Snr in 1992. And a treaty is a treaty once ratified. Basically there is zero NAFTA connection to Bill. Except he didn't VETO it. It's the same with the Gramm Leach Bliley Act. Legislation created and passed by Republicans, which Bill didn't veto.

The idea that Clinton created these things that wrecked the economy is like a guy who keeps punching himself in the head, then blames you "because you didn't stop me". Maybe if they needed a father-figure to stop them passing all those shitty laws, those Republicans shouldn't be in politics in the first place. Be adults, Republicans an own the legislation that the guys YOU elected wrote.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:00:12 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2222 on: August 04, 2016, 06:33:19 pm »

I don't even care to defend pot brah, it's a waste of time fighting it, it's a waste of timing fighting for it, it's a waste of time doing it, but if I'm going to waste time in any way involving pot I'm gonna get a buzz out of it.
It's ok to not care about things

But saying other people can't care about things is literally Kardashian, and that's bad

I find this thread gets more offtopic the fewer controversies Donald Trump generates. Under a Trump presidency, this thread would reach new levels of on-topic, because a Trump presidency would be literally memes. No discussion of the polls? Come now. Polls have been coming in over the last week, and they are incredibly bad for Trump thus far. The "Now-cast" indicates that Trump should be glad polls aren't held today, because he'd be crushed by double digits.
What kind of headlines do you think would be generated by a Trump presidency? I like to think there would come a point where the press gives in to grim resignation and just publishes "It gets worse" or "What are we doing anymore" day after day

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: August 04, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

Sorry for anti-Clintonites. But the treaty was signed by Bush Snr in 1992. And a treaty is a treaty once ratified. Basically there is zero NAFTA connection to Bill. Except he didn't VETO it. It's the same with the Gramm Leach Bliley Act. Legislation created and passed by Republicans, which Bill didn't veto.

The idea that Clinton created these things that wrecked the economy is like a guy who keeps punching himself in the head, then blames you "because you didn't stop me". Maybe if they needed a father-figure to stop them passing all those shitty laws, those Republicans shouldn't be in politics in the first place. Be adults, Republicans an own the legislation that the guys YOU elected wrote.

That all only makes sense if you assume whoever it is is looking for any justification to hate Clinton regardless of the fact of the situation, rather than disliking NAFTA. If "could have stopped NAFTA but didn't" is the sticking point then Bill certainly did fuck up, because as you said, he didn't veto it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »

Apparently Obama is going to go ahead and give Trump the same intel briefing stuff that would normally be given both candidates, so, if he he really DOES blab secret stuff, it'll be Trumps fault.

Also, nobody here is talking about http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/politics/us-sends-plane-iran-400-million-cash/index.html ? This was on the same day as the hostages were released. Maybe it wasn't a ransom payment as Obama claims, but the optics are still horrible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: August 04, 2016, 07:35:30 pm »

secretly arranged a plane delivery of $400 million in cash
announced in January as part of the Iran nuclear deal.
... what.

Has the definition of secret changed on me at some point? Do you need two years forewarning and goddamn trumpets for it to no longer apply or somethin'?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:37:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2226 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:18 pm »

Well you can still get done in for releasing publicly available information xD

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 04, 2016, 07:39:09 pm »

secretly arranged a plane delivery of $400 million in cash
announced in January as part of the Iran nuclear deal.
... what.

Has the definition of secret changed on me at some point? Do you need two years forewarning and goddamn trumpets for it to no longer apply or somethin'?

*shrug* Doesn't stop the republicans from claiming that Obama paid ransom.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 04, 2016, 07:39:54 pm »

It probably just means that the details like the flight and the pallets of money were secret, but the fact that the money was being transferred wasn't.

inb4 someone claims that the transfer being in cash was the condition for their release.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 04, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »

It probably just means that the details like the flight and the pallets of money were secret, but the fact that the money was being transferred wasn't.

inb4 someone claims that the transfer being in cash was the condition for their release.

It's mostly the timing that gives the impression. Basically, it's a case of horrible optics.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: August 04, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »

... also wow, what the hell. The money was actually Iran's. Like, literally theirs, that had been sitting in a trust fund for years due to sanctions. How the hell do you call giving someone their own bloody money back paying a ransom? How does this friggin' work?

Goddamnit, I think the sheer brain numbing stupidity involved here is giving me an actual headache.
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »

I don't even care to defend pot brah, it's a waste of time fighting it, it's a waste of timing fighting for it, it's a waste of time doing it, but if I'm going to waste time in any way involving pot I'm gonna get a buzz out of it.
It's ok to not care about things

But saying other people can't care about things is literally Kardashian, and that's bad
Except when people try to force others to live by arbitrary things they feel matter, yes at some point all of society can be argued as an arbitrary construct, but the actual risks and so forth associated with weed do not warrant the portion of the drug war over here which has gone towards fighting it. Booze is actually dangerous to yourself and others around you, but it is socially acceptable, nobody cares when a president ties one on unless they run someone over I guess. Yet you suggest they got baked and watched nature shows once, scandalous! It's a social problem, it's a problem with people who care about other people smoking pot, not a problem with pot itself.

Similarly with the "oral relations", the bad thing there was that he was in a position of power over her, not the act itself. Yet the way people respond you get this sense that presidents are just supposed to be like ken dolls, tall, handsome, completely smooth downstairs, the idea that they might do things like have sex is often rather revolting ('C'mere Barbara, read my lips... *bbrrbbrbrbrbbrbrbbrbbrbbrb*') and yeah it's messed up for Hillary that he had an affair. Especially since it got dragged out in hearings and whatnot, but unless it was like, a little kid or a horse or something, big damn deal?

On the scale of bad things starting with "B" which presidents can do, "blaze a doobie" and "blowjob" are pretty far down the list compared to "blow up a city", "bomb civilians", "buttfuck our credit rating", and so forth, just saying.
I find this thread gets more offtopic the fewer controversies Donald Trump generates. Under a Trump presidency, this thread would reach new levels of on-topic, because a Trump presidency would be literally memes. No discussion of the polls? Come now. Polls have been coming in over the last week, and they are incredibly bad for Trump thus far. The "Now-cast" indicates that Trump should be glad polls aren't held today, because he'd be crushed by double digits.
What kind of headlines do you think would be generated by a Trump presidency? I like to think there would come a point where the press gives in to grim resignation and just publishes "It gets worse" or "What are we doing anymore" day after day
"There is no light, only fire."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »

Don't ask me, ask the Republicans who have a hate boner for Obama.

Honestly though, I'm sure you'd agree that the timing of it creates some bad optics.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »

I guess. Some. Not nearly as much as folks appear to be trying to make it, but sure, the timing could have been better on that front. Not sure by how much, but better.
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 04, 2016, 08:08:24 pm »

Honestly I suspected we were getting close to that point this week, but Trump finally slowed down enough for the media to take stock of what their lives have become. Like seriously, it was like "Trump's Mouth strikes back" here, and I was just wondering "When does it stop being news?".

I think that before we get to the point where headlines give up on life, editorials will give up first, finally tiring out of writing long lectures about everything wrong with the world, and will just descend into satire, madness, and depression.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 1249