Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394624 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2175 on: August 04, 2016, 11:15:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 04, 2016, 11:18:22 am »

538 is giving Johnson 2.8% to pick up an electoral college vote
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 04, 2016, 12:52:57 pm »

That's the polls only forecast which is built around the assumption that Johnson can be evaluated by historical comparison.  I think his odds are higher then that because this year could be different.  There is a chance Johnson could land some big name republican endorsements if they want to distance themselves from Trump.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 04, 2016, 01:18:14 pm »

Fivethirtyeight once more provides actual journalism.

I wonder how one would design or adapt the US system to withstand the current amount of political polarization in the electorate? and I wonder what the breaking point David Wasserman is talking about would look like?

The only time I know of that we had anywhere this much polarization was in the run up to the Civil War, but that was over some rather specific issues, the polarization here is much more amorphous.

edit: http://www.politico.com/video/2016/08/young-boy-to-pence-are-you-trumps-apologist-060270 Ouch, that's gotta sting....

Edit: You know, seems like it's, in part, due to the lack of an effective political release valve, what that would be, I'm not sure to be honest.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:22:58 pm by smjjames »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: August 04, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »

E: Though, on the other hand, locking all the candidates in the room for around a year almost sounds kinda' appealing. Downside being it'd basically be reality TV politico edition, and sod that.
Nobody said we had to provide food, water, or air for the whole year.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 04, 2016, 01:33:43 pm »

Reconstruction was pretty polarized too, from what I know.

I think mandatory voting would go a long way, as would preferential voting (ranking candidates in order of who you want most versus least).

Also, dropping the first past the post system in the electoral college. Enforcing anti-gerrymandering legislation.

@mainiac: What of Bill Clinton, with the focus on free trade that has allowed Wal-Mart to flourish so corrosively, or his womanizing (far worse, I'll remind you, than Clarence Thomas', and with more evidence)? Or his own particular brand of dishonesty, 'I did not inhale', which is, when I think about it, probably the largest influence on me having previously believed Hillary to be dishonest? His failure to enforce the Iraq sanctions, which I'll get you would have vastly reduced the mess we got in under Bush.

Liberals fuck up, too, don't forget. It's just that when they succeed, it's usually a good thing. Conservative a vary vastly more in that regard.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36:36 pm »

E: Though, on the other hand, locking all the candidates in the room for around a year almost sounds kinda' appealing. Downside being it'd basically be reality TV politico edition, and sod that.
Nobody said we had to provide food, water, or air for the whole year.
Too easy. We should trade them supplies in exchange for committing various sex acts on camera.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 04, 2016, 01:37:59 pm »

Or introducing constructive legislation while committing various sex acts on camera.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 04, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »

Reconstruction was pretty polarized too, from what I know.

I think mandatory voting would go a long way, as would preferential voting (ranking candidates in order of who you want most versus least).

Also, dropping the first past the post system in the electoral college. Enforcing anti-gerrymandering legislation.

Well yeah, obviously massive reforms are required to fix it, the problem is there is no political will, neither party wants to lose the status that they currently hold.

Mandatory voting would go a long way, yes, but you also have to make sure that everybodys vote is actually counted and there is no disenfranchisement or people falling through the cracks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 04, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »

Old fashioned morals need to die the fuck off, if you're offended by nudity and sex and cussing, but ok with racism, warfare, and corporate raping of everyone... get in a fucking box, seriously, it's not the 19th century, and the rest of us are sick of having stupid bullshit foisted on us in the name of whatever deity or other arbitrary justification you feel worthy at the time.

Womanizing, inhaling? If the dude or dudette in charge of keeping nuclear powers calm and cool wants some noggin or a joint, fucking let them. I know it seems cliche to blame shit on older voters and whatnot, but the age range of people supporting the giant orange lizard in the wig skews pretty heavily towards the "why the hell aren't you underground" end of the life expectancy charts. You start to lose touch with things when you've already been working your whole life and don't have to worry about a lot of the same shit your kids and grandkids do, so trying to foist some stupid ass moral bullshit and nonsense economics in a big christ-y wrapper off on them is fucked up.

I'm regularly having to point out to my mom when she starts slipping into crazy-old-lady land, she goes "whoops, fuck, how did that happen?" because she remembers being young, but it's really wild seeing her do that shit sometimes when she grew up as a potsmoking flower child and later gothed it up in the 80's.

The ONLY thing Clinton did which is worth hating on him for is the trade shit, fucking up the clusterfuck in the middle east can actually be blamed on the old dead assholes who went "yep, this chunk of land from here, to there, and over there, is all one country, ya'll get along now, y'hear" and completely ignored everything about every single aspect of the cultures there.

Getting mad about a blowjob and some weed is some petty ass bullshit, it's 2016, reefer madness doesn't exist, and being ok with gay marriage means being ok with a lot of blowjobs and buttsex.

Damn.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2185 on: August 04, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »

Old fashioned morals need to die the fuck off, if you're offended by nudity and sex and cussing, but ok with racism, warfare, and corporate raping of everyone... get in a fucking box, seriously, it's not the 19th century, and the rest of us are sick of having stupid bullshit foisted on us in the name of whatever deity or other arbitrary justification you feel worthy at the time.

Womanizing, inhaling? If the dude or dudette in charge of keeping nuclear powers calm and cool wants some noggin or a joint, fucking let them. I know it seems cliche to blame shit on older voters and whatnot, but the age range of people supporting the giant orange lizard in the wig skews pretty heavily towards the "why the hell aren't you underground" end of the life expectancy charts. You start to lose touch with things when you've already been working your whole life and don't have to worry about a lot of the same shit your kids and grandkids do, so trying to foist some stupid ass moral bullshit and nonsense economics in a big christ-y wrapper off on them is fucked up.

I'm regularly having to point out to my mom when she starts slipping into crazy-old-lady land, she goes "whoops, fuck, how did that happen?" because she remembers being young, but it's really wild seeing her do that shit sometimes when she grew up as a potsmoking flower child and later gothed it up in the 80's.

The ONLY thing Clinton did which is worth hating on him for is the trade shit, fucking up the clusterfuck in the middle east can actually be blamed on the old dead assholes who went "yep, this chunk of land from here, to there, and over there, is all one country, ya'll get along now, y'hear" and completely ignored everything about every single aspect of the cultures there.

Getting mad about a blowjob and some weed is some petty ass bullshit, it's 2016, reefer madness doesn't exist, and being ok with gay marriage means being ok with a lot of blowjobs and buttsex.

Damn.
gj it's the current year 10/10

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 04, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »

Ahem, it's brEXIT, not brANTER.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:20 pm »

Actually, this is the Ameripol thread, not Brexit thread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 04, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »

Max, when I say womanizing, I mean sexual harassment style, whilst married.

I don't give a shit about the weed. I give a shit about his response to being asked about it. Obama admitted he did drugs. I really like Obama.

My issue is his dishonesty, first and foremost, with those issues, followed by his waiting in a hotel room for one of his staff members, iirc, naked, after telling her to meet him there. She had no idea that he was going to full frontal her. That is the fucked up part.

Bush was dishonest on some shit too. But he's not my party. I don't get to vote in Republican primary.

And I am very much an advocate of war if it's to, say, prevent the genocides Hussein was conducting. We should have a giant military for a goddamned reason, or not have a giant military.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:31:23 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2189 on: August 04, 2016, 02:35:24 pm »

Current year morals need to die the fuck off, if you're offended by models and religion and words, but ok with marxism, warfare, and corporate raping of everyone... get in a fucking box, seriously, it's not the 20th century, and the rest of us are sick of having stupid bullshit foisted on us in the name of whatever social justice or other arbitrary justification you feel worthy at the time.

Womanizing, inhaling? If the dude or dudette in charge of keeping nuclear powers calm and cool wants some noggin or a joint, fucking fire them. I know it seems cliche to blame shit on high information voters and whatnot, but the information range of people supporting the big blue blob in the wig skews pretty heavily towards the "why the hell aren't you working" end of the employment charts. You start to lose touch with things when you've already been smoking weed your whole life and don't have to worry about a lot of the same shit your parents and grandparents did, so trying to foist some stupid ass post-moral bullshit and nonsense economics in a big freud-y wrapper off on them is fucked up.

I'm regularly having to point out to my friends when they start slipping into crazy-cat-lady land, they goes "whoops, fuck, how did that happen?" because they remember nothing, but it's really wild seeing them do that shit sometimes when they never grew up from a potsmoking flower child and later purpled it up in the hair.

The MANY things Clinton did which is worth hating on him for is the trade shit, fucking up the clusterfuck in the middle east can actually be blamed on his appointed advisors who went "yep, fuck this land from here, to there, and over there, fuck all the countries, ya'll get fucked now, y'hear" and completely ignored everything about freedom not being the only way.

Getting mad about other people not being apathetic as you is petty ass bullshit, it's the current fucking year, Cannabis will have a negative effect on your mental health, and being ok with gay marriage means being ok with a lot of Trump and Daddy.

Hella #86.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1249