Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395657 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15781 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:13 pm »

Because the "hacking" is fabricating document, disrupting communication or anything like that, it's leaking actual information like a normal whistle blower would do (and probably did).
Oh come on, we both know that's not what hacking is. Hacking certainly includes disrupting communication, but fabricating a document isn't. Here's what is hacking (technically cracking) - gaining access to secure documents, whether on a computer or "in transit", without having the password (or permission; is it okay to break into your own house?).

So yes, if someone cracked a system and leaked the secure info within, they hacked.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15782 on: December 16, 2016, 03:07:25 pm »

communist, left wing, anti-war and ecologist groups have routinely been funded by the USSR
Not sure if attacking ecologists

or just making a weird point
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »

Let's assume for discussion sake DA RUSSIANS did hack the DNC and leaked those emails, so what?

Obviously the U.S should ramp up their cyber security protocols and this is an almost free wake up call and obviously the U.S should counter the Russian aggression on all fronts and this is an almost free wake up call. So if this entire hack resulted in exposing information to the public, exposing Russian aggression and exposing U.S weak spots then the Russians had done good service to the U.S since these hacks didn't determine the result of the election.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #15784 on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:18 pm »

Let's assume for discussion sake DA RUSSIANS did hack the DNC and leaked those emails, so what?

I don't think this all refers to the DNC emails. They repeated multiple times the content was inconsequential, that nothing of value was there and that they had not any impact of the public opinion. So it needs to be some other hack, right?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: December 16, 2016, 04:15:13 pm »

So Hillary's and Podesta mails, same thing basically. the bottom line is that their Hacks didn't involve actual, direct, vote tampering.

Edit - typo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:31:49 pm by Vilanat »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15786 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:32 pm »

Also amusingly, in the voting recount led by Jill Stein in an effort to win crucial states, Trump increased his votecount as it was revealed officials accidentally gave Clinton 22,748 more votes than she actually got.

That isn't what that link says.  That link says that the final tally had Trump ahead by 22000 and change, not that 22000 and change votes were declared invalid.

communist, left wing, anti-war and ecologist groups have routinely been funded by the USSR
Not sure if attacking ecologists

or just making a weird point

Which is weird since communist countries have a really, really bad track record for environmental issues.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15787 on: December 16, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

Yeah, there's no proof that they actually changed the results (machine malfunctions are FAR more likely) and while the leaks did have some effect, the way the Dems did the entire thing, from the pre-crowning to ignoring the facts on the ground and the way that they ran the campaign did a lot more to hurt Clinton than the Russian meddling in general.

Heck, Bill Clinton kept warning them to not ignore the working class people in the rural and suburban areas.

The Russian meddling was just one wrench among many in the works.

So Hillary's and Podesta mails, same thing basically. the bottom line is that their Hacks didn't involve actual, direct, vote tempering.

You mean tAmpering.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15788 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:33 pm »

As for the hack itself, yeah the podesta emails were inconsequential, aside from opening a window into normally hidden campaign clockwork, but the main thing they did was keep the whole email server thing dripping.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: December 16, 2016, 04:42:14 pm »

"attributing what happened to a particular government can be difficult, not always provable in court, even tough our intelligence communities can make an assessment"

"I can assure the public that there was not the kind of tampering with the voting process that was our concern"

I guess meming hard is now leet haxor skillz

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15790 on: December 16, 2016, 04:44:58 pm »

"I can assure the public that there was not the kind of tampering with the voting process that was our concern"

This means "hacking voting machines or tabulation machines to tamper with the results"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15791 on: December 16, 2016, 04:45:21 pm »

Do you really want to discuss stupid? Because we can discuss the number of people who think Obama caused the 2008 housing crisis and Bush found WMDs.

From that conservative shill-piece, the New York Times: chemical weapons were found in Iraq.  I spent most of my energy finding that finding a source you would even possibly consider reliable.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15792 on: December 16, 2016, 04:53:20 pm »

This means "hacking voting machines or tabulation machines to tamper with the results"

ikr?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: December 16, 2016, 04:54:15 pm »

Since when is the NYT a conservative shill-piece?

Also, the WMDs that bush was going on about were nukes, not chemical and biological weapons. We already knew Saddam had chemical weapons.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:58:25 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15794 on: December 16, 2016, 04:57:30 pm »

It was the claim of active efforts to construct and stockpile chemical, biological, and/or nuclear weapons that was the justification for the war, and no such program was discovered.

Abandoned weapons (disposed of badly to complete stockpile destruction) of that sort weren't the goal, and weren't even much a secret. If those were a violation of the international ban on chemical weapons, most nations -including the United States- would be in violation because most nations still have chemical weapons stockpiled awaiting destruction.

@smjjames
It is obvious that Rockphed used "conservative shill-piece" in an ironic or sarcastic fashion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1249