Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: Superhero Mafia: Game Over; Town, Survivors and Lovers Win.  (Read 58674 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia: Day 1, Make it Double.
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »

That didn't answer my question.

That's two questions you've avoided answering today. Perhaps I shall shift my vote back to you, TBF, so you don't begin to think I'll let you off with it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:03 pm »

That's the reason his vote was better, as apparently I wasn't obvious enough.

*sigh*

He had a reason and stated it.  Your stated reason was pure and utter BS.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »

What was his reason? Quotes or it didn't happen.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:54 pm »

He wanted to know how Dustan felt about his vote, as YOU said.
TDS is voting Dustan, the question asked for it was "how do you feel about this vote."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »

We're going in circles.

There is no difference between what I did and what TDS did, beyond TDS being overt in his intentions.

You're either unable to look past your conviction I'm scum or catering your arguments specifically to my play while ignoring it in others, neither of which is good town play.

Whether or not this makes you scum is another question, one I'm not in the mood to answer right now.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »

Dustan
((If I could be voting you I would be right now.  Can anyone else not vote?))
4: I may draw the attention of scum, who are still in the dark as to my role and yet may suspect it to be more powerful than I am letting on, thus drawing off an attack or other hostile action that might otherwise be meant for a different townie. Chances are that won't happen, but one can dream.
You tell people parts of your role on the off chance that a purportedly useless role (which is only useless if the mafia claim a specific ability, and which they're now warned about thanks to you) will draw scum attention, but that only works by claiming a not useless role.  And better yet, you yourself agree that it likely won't work at all.  So what are you trying to accomplish?
One of two things: Make myself the immediate target of the mafia, or make myself as unappealing a target as possible. The problem is trying to do both at the same time...
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2016, 08:23:11 pm »

Ugh, I hate everything about this. Just, fuck how messy my life suddenly decided to become. Replacement request
Good luck, mate.
~~~
Oi hector, why'd you stop addressing me?

RVS is to get information in the game, yet you didn't put any pressure on the person you voted beyond that vote. You never even followed up on the question you asked when it wasn't answered. Why not? Standard RVS vote without the standard RVS follow through.

TBF has been doing the things you're voting him for all day. Why now? Why not focus on someone else since at that point there was ~3 days left in D1, the vast majority of which has been me bashing TBF for his fixation? Are you comfortable enough to vote for TBF as your lynchee already?
Oh. Um... answer my question!
(Didn't notice.)

... a lynch is better than no lynch, on day one at least. If we lynch TBF... well, if he's scum or a hostile third party, great. If he's not, we have a buffer of people before we reach LYLO. Or at least, I hope we do. Considering nobody else has shown particularly scummy behavior yet, I'm happy going for TBF.

Why now, you say?
I dunno. I think I just finally decided that he passed a certain threshold of scumminess, and finally voted him.
Maybe.
I don't think you ever responded to this post of mine.

You may only have one vote(as far as I know), but that shouldn't make you unable to focus on multiple people at once. Within reason.
~~~
TBF, Hector: Can you put your case against the other person in your pair into three sentences or less?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:06 pm »

We're going in circles.
That I wholeheartedly agree with you about.

@FoU:RVS was lolrandom, no actual immediate pressure, and the obfuscation.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2016, 08:30:03 pm »

@FoU: Today I had a visit to an immigration office that failed to materialize. Excuse me for being distracted.

Quite frankly my choice is between you and TBF. TBF is showing signs of new town, which is confusing since he has some experience.

My most recent post, before this one, expresses my view against TBF.

You are showing signs of lazy play. "Maybe" he crossed a threshold for scumminess? He either did or did not, and failing to define the threshold doesn't help that.

You basically said a lynch is better than no lunch, and offered a weak-ass reason for choosing TBF. Why not me? Or griffin? Or TDS?

@TBF: what obfuscation?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »

'obvscum', mostly.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 25, 2016, 08:37:27 pm »

You're voting me because you were confused. Again, using the first post before I explained what I was doing.

Take the blinders off, boy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 25, 2016, 08:38:48 pm »

"No lunch". Your typo has been immortalized, hector.
~~~
In any case:
Yes, a lynch on Day 1 is better than no lynch.

Quote from: Bookthras
I'm not an IC, but I once wrote a rant about nolynches on Day One that I think would be beneficial for this audience, so I quote it below. In brief, you can (i.e., it's a valid vote, and if it has majority no lynch will happen) but you shouldn't unless you have a very very good reason. Actual ICs will, of course, chime in with their own thoughts, and there are different considerations to be had in subsequent days; the below applies only for D1.

Even in a game like this, or a role-heavy game like a BYOR, paranormal, or bastard, without a D1 lynch people will lack context for the conversation during the day, which is the very point of the day game. The information lost is not just the flip of a person, but who voted them, with what arguments, and forms the very foundation of how the town power roles will choose their night actions. Information is key, and timely information moreso. People flipping at the start of D2 is not nearly as useful, and a nolynch will result in people using their powers on whoever they were voting (if block/investigate) or a crapshoot for protections and the like, due to lack of context and closure.

A D1 no-lynch pretty much wastes all of D1 content, and gives scum a chance to NK/convert/whatever while town has to shoot in the dark. The amount of information lost is not small, but most importantly, you lose the opportunity to use it. N1 will never come again. Even if you learn the information later, you'll never get that night back, which scum got for free. Not good for town at all.

Also considering the fact that the D1 lynchee is almost always town (when was the last time anyone saw a scum hang D1?),
Not that rare. The very last game I played (Cybrid Mafia 3) we lynched scum D1. A couple games before that (Politibastard) as well, though that was a... different sort of game. I'm sure there are several others.

So sure, it doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen. Plus the possibility of a mislynch is built into the balance of the game. If there is going to be one, it's best for town that it happens sooner rather than later, so maximum information is provided early. It's never good, but a D1 no-lynch is worse.

Please disabuse yourself of the notion that a D1 no-lynch is good for town ever. Except in very narrow types of games where constant (not just D1) no-lynch can be used to break the setup (which is not the case here), whenever you think a D1 no-lynch is good because it's cautious, it's misapplied caution, and will hurt town much more than a possible mislynch would.
Hopefully this will persuade you.

Why not me? Or griffin? Or TDS?
You're producing a lot of nice logical analysis.
Griffin and TDS have not produced enough posts to create a sufficient analysis for lynching.

[You] offered a weak-ass reason for choosing TBF.
I think that was the same reason you used for your first vote on him.

Assuming the reason you're referring to was his focus on the flavor.
~~~
Okay, seriously, ninjas.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2016, 08:43:26 pm »

You're voting me because you were confused. Again, using the first post before I explained what I was doing.

Take the blinders off, boy.
The first post is the important ome because it has the vote in it.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2016, 08:46:32 pm »

*one, not ome
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »

And no, not because I was confused, because you were doing a stupid vote reason for no good reason.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31