Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14785 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Feel free to contribute other information you know, and I'll edit the OP to include it.  We're probably missing quite a few details, so every little bit helps.

Existing Requests
This section contains dates that are unknown and have been requested in order to be included into the timeline.

Dates
Timeframe when the Pathos event(s) occurred, to understand when the meme of 'Everyone is Pathos' developed.
First Slaves to Armok 1 release.
Release dates of Toady One projects not seen below.
Creation of first MLP thread.
Creation of first Penguin thread (apparently within Various Nonsense.  Archaeology thread indicates some may have access to this board still.).
Creation of the Interboard Battleship (apparently within Various Nonsense.  Archaeology thread indicates some may have access to this board still).
Exact dates for creation of various boards.
The days for entries with a ??? next to them.

Sort Through
Information in old Archaeology Thread needs to be sorted through into one post.

Forum Timeline

June 2001
8 - Toady One's profile is created.  Estimated date forums go online.  In the first week, there were only four profiles total.
16 - First post by Toady One.  This implies that the forum had a different host before this point, so he may have made posts in the first 8 days that we can't see anymore. Alternatively, they may have been in Various Nonsense.

April 2002
15 - Threetoe makes his account on the forums.

July 2002
18 - This post is the first of Kurtulmak, the third moderator of the Slaves to Armok board.  As it is within the thread of his introduction, this may indicate it is either a secondary account of a regular at the time, or Kurtulmak is a trusted friend of Toady One.

March 2003
30 - The apparent announcement thread for the first edition of Liberal Crime Squad.

February 2004
28 - Final bugfix update of WWI medic is released.

May 2004
4 - Last thread of a Toady One release of Liberal Crime Squad known at the current time.

August 2004
26 - Final release of the original Slaves to Armok.
31 - Toady announces a return to working on the 'Dwarf Game', as Dwarf Fortress was referred to before its release.

August 2006
8 - First edition of Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress is released.  This event could mark the start of the Second Era of the Bay 12 Forums.

September 2006
6 - Early Spambot Thread, during a time Toady would edit posts by Spambots rather than flat out deleting them.
10 - Final bugfix update of Kobold Quest is released.
13 - Jifodus, the man who's been lurking on the forum for five full years of his life, makes his account.

November 2006
10 - The Boatmurdered Succession Fortress begins.

March 2007
6 - The Boatmurdered Succession Fortress ends.
16 - Discussion of save format is launched by Erasmus Darwin.  This effort allows for the creation of the various utilities made for Dwarf Fortress.

June 2007
2 - The game of Mafia is first brought to the forum in this thread by 4bh0r53n.

November 2007
8 - This thread chronicles the first attempt to create a 3d visualizer for Dwarf Fortress.
13 - First post of Nist Akath.

December 2007
1 - The What's going on in your fort? thread is created by Redwick.

March 2008
20 - This interestingly named thread potentially indicates the first date of the DF Community Games and Stories board.  At very least it showcases how links used to look back in 2008.

May 2008
7 - The first Hall of Legends thread is created by Jamini.

June 2008
30 - The forum software is switched from  ultimatebb to simple machines. The forum conversion is also when all of the non-post related statistics started being tracked.

July 2008
1 - First Bay 12 Games report in the Announcements board is posted.

August 2008
8 - The Dwarf Fortress wiki is announced to have been created in this thread by Senso.
22 - This thread by Immortal is the current first known Roll to Dodge game attempt on the forums.

September 2008
1 - Multiworld Madness, considered by some to be the Magnum Opis of the Roll to Dodge board before Einsteinian Roulette, is started by Sean Mirrsen.
??? - The Roll to Dodge subboard is created.

October 2008
8 - The mermaid farm thread is created by Randy Gnoman.  The horror reaches all the way to the game developer himself, resulting in measures to eliminate mermaid farming as a relatively practical measure.

November 2008
27 - First currently known successful game of Mafia created in this thread by Kashyyk.

December 2008
9 - Anime Thread is created by JoshuaFH.

April 2009
9 - Last post before Various Nonsense was locked.  Date may be the same as when the board went missing.  Its prior functions were apparently broken down into the lower boards.  May be considered the start of the Third Era of the Bay 12 Forum.

May 2009
1 - The first bit of concept art for the utility to eventually become Stonesense is posted in this thread by Solifuge.

July 2009
7 - Toady posts the modern Forum Guidelines in General Discussion.
24 - Dwarf Fortress is featured in a New York Times article by Jonah Weiner.

September 2009
14 - The second Hall of Legends is established by Jackrabbit.
20 - Janet, currently known as Gunner-Chan, posts the Happy Thread, apparently while drunk or tired or on a dare or something.  Circumstances are currently uncertain.

October 2009
12 - The Sad Thread is created by Vlynndar.
12 - The first release of Stonesense is made after work from a small team within this thread created by jonask84.  The utility's name is accidentally stolen from an existing mod that displayed resource locations.

March 2010
21 - Final story post of Nist Akath.

April 2010
This month plays host to the most number of topics created in a month, at 4165.

May 2010
9 - During the Reign of Bronze, in which the current release's Bronze Colossi proved invincible, user The Anus of Discontent managed the first recorded kill of an invulnerable Bronze Colossus by decapitating it with a thrown live fluffy wambler in this thread.

June 2010
7 - An individual attempts to create a clone of Dwarf Fortress on the forums and tells others to stop donating to Toady One and start donating to their project.  Due to a measure of confusion over work on the project at the time the event occurred, Peterix wound up being temporarily banned.
11 - The Rage Thread is created by nenjin.
14 - cbpye discovers the first recorded Adamantine Spire worldgen error in this thread. Sadly, it appears most images of this event have since succumbed to time.

July 2010
6 - The Fuedalism thread, created by Aqizzar, is born on the General Discussion board and is eventually moved to Forum Games and Roleplaying when it changed to a popular map making game.

September 2010
6 - Out of Context and Funny Quotes thread is created by Derm.

October 2010
08 - The board to the original Slaves to Armok: God of Blood are locked due to the amount of necroposting upon the board.
20 - The WTF Thread is created by Akura.

December 2010
26 - Roll to Roll to Dodge is created by Gatleos.

Janurary 2011
7 - Second My Little Pony thread is made by Sowelu.  It is eventually locked due to a combination of behavior of the posters skirting close to what got the first thread locked down and a link to a page detailing a meme also containing a nude image in a thumbnail.

March 2011
21 - Toady posts the modern Moderation Log in General Discussion.

April 2011
Most number of new members in a month at 3301.  This influx could be considered as the start of the Fourth Era of the Bay 12 Forums.
26 - Apparent first use of 'Derm' to represent enmass destruction by a player is made in the Roll to Roll to Dodge thread.

July 2011
4 (?) - Dwarf fortress is induced into the Museum of Modern Art.
20 - The third Hall of Legends thread is created by Monk12.

August 2011
13 - The first Dwarven Child Care thread is created by Girlinhat.
21 - Last post in the Multiworld Madness RtD.

October 2011
21 - The Third My Little Pony thread is created by kaijyuu.

November 2011
18 - End of the third My Little Pony thread.  Due to events at its end, the creation of a dedicated My Little Pony topic becomes banned.
28 - First currently known Christmas Giveaway created by webadict.

December 2011
1 - An attempt to make a Bay 12 Romhack is chronicled in this thread, created by USEC_OFFICER.  A surprising amount of progress is made, with a test version having been released at some point in the thread.
28 - First known thread of Meph's Masterwork Dwarf Fortress mod is made.  The released version of the mod at that time is currently unknown.

February 2012
19 - Forum goes down for an alarming period of time.  A portion of the reactions at the time are found in this thread.

April 2012
2 - Einsteinian Roulette is created by Piecewise.
4 - Japa takes over chief control of the Stonesense project.
20 - Second Penguin Thread is created by kaijyuu.

May 02, 2012
2 - Second Penguin Thread ends.

August 2012
21 - This thread was created by Haspen to focus the signature flag fad.  The OP references it having been triggered earlier, but the trigger incident is currently unknown.

September 2012
4 - This thread, created by Barbarossa TSG, marks an attempt to map Bay 12 membership data.  Results were not too surprising and the map eventually fell to memes.

October 2012
12 - An IRC channel for the lower boards is created and is advertised in this thread by kaijyuu.  Conflict with the older Bay12 IRC, which had apparently split off from the main community years ago, developed for a time.  The IRC is apparently still active.

November 2012
29 - Dwarf Fortress is announced to be included in the Museum of Modern Art.

January 2013
17 - The Warrens of Oric the Awesome illustrated suggestion game is launched by freeformschooler.

February 2013
Number of new members per month drops back to the levels before 2011.  This date could mark the beginning of the Fifth Era of the Bay 12 Forums.

March 2013
7 - The one and only DPRK Thread, forum sensation and one-time Europol Thread refugee camp, was created by MetalSlimeHunt. The thread's creation pertains to threats of war made against the United States of America by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on March 7th, 2013.

April 2013
21 - Then number one poster Toonyman is bypassed by GreatWyrmGold.

June 2013
12 - DF Modding board is given multiple sub boards.  A few of those created are eventually folded into other subboards.

August 2013
Largest quantity of posts within one month at 105732.

February 2014
??? - Einsteinian Roulette grew to the point that it was granted its own subboard on the Roll to Dodge subboard to contain it.

April 2014
28 - The Descan thread created by Descan, and the fad apparently dies a week later.  Some avatars from this fad have managed to survive to the present day.  This is believed to be the trigger post.  This fad resulted in a counter thread the Union of Static Self-Representations to be created by Comrade P..
30 - Bay 12 Posting History thread is created by My Name is Immaterial.

June 2014
15 - GreatWyrmGold is permanently banned from the forums.  A minor attempt to have him reinstated is created, but it rapidly dies.

July 2014
2 - The Things that made you Laugh Today thread is created.
7 - A record-breaking 2427 users are online at the same time as a result of the release of DF2014.

August 2014
3 - grisha5 returns to the forum and a cult forms around the poster in this thread.  It was eventually locked by Toady due to a portion of the cult editing wikipedia articles to include grisha5.

February 2015
12 - Rage thread locked and topic is banned.

April 2015
27 - The Bay 12 Games Patreon is created.

September 2015
9 - LordSlowpoke is permabanned after it is found that the website url that can be input into the forum profile had the url as a highly racist term.  Some individuals left the forum for a time, including Gunner-chan, who locked the happy thread until derivatives wound up popping up.

February 2016
7 - The fourth Hall of Legends thread is established by NAV.

May 2016
??? - GreatWyrmGold is finally surpassed by another poster, IamanElfCollaborator.

June 2016
28 - An effort to create a timeline of the Bay 12 Forums begins with this thread.  Prior events listed upon this sheet are a result of forum archaeology by various members.  Dates after are a result of adding new details as they come up or are posthumously considered as significant enough for an addition.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:38:24 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

Someone who was around while VN was still a thing will have to provide the date for the first, but the second penguin thread ran from 20/april/2012 to 02/may/2012.

Rage thread was locked and the topic banned in 12/february/2015.

And grisha5 (praise) graced us on 03/august/2014.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:03:40 pm »

oh my god. I just realized...

I am grisha5. Look at my join date.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:08 pm »

Someone who was around while VN was still a thing will have to provide the date for the first, but the second penguin thread ran from 20/april/2012 to 02/may/2012.

What is grisha5?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:17:28 pm »

What is grisha5?
Some guy who made like 3 posts in the DF section disappeared for a month or two, then came back and introduced himself to General Discussion with something like "]hi, i'm back,who missed me?". He (she?) is now worshiped as a god.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:20:15 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:20:03 pm »

We can't forget the Pathos Saga, or the unreachable pinnacle of forum time god Jifodus.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »

grisha5

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:23:39 pm »

What is grisha5?
Some guy who made like 3 posts in the DF section disappeared for a month or two, then came back and introduced himself to General Discussion with something like "]hi, i'm back,who missed me?". He (she?) is now worshiped as a god.
Why is that objectionable?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 03:33:50 pm »

What is grisha5?
Why is that objectionable?
"Objectionable" is a pretty strong word, but "yo I'm back" threads aren't really a thing here. Also, even if they were, it would be pretty weird for someone with three posts to make one—who would have noticed that they were gone?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »

So anyway, some other possibly important dates.

2001-06-16: Toady makes his first currently visible post. It implies that the forum had a different host before that, so he may have made posts in the first 8 days that we can't see anymore. Alternatively, they may have been in Various Nonsense.
2006-09-13: Jifodus, the man who's been lurking on the forum for five full years of his life, makes his account.
2009-07-07: Toady posts the modern Forum Guidelines in General Discussion.
2009-09-20: Janet/Gunner-Chan posts the Happy Thread, apparently while drunk or tired or on a dare or something. Not 100% sure on that.
2011-03-21: Toady posts the modern Moderation Log in General Discussion.
2013-11-09: I register, marking the beginning of modern history :P
2014-07-08: A record-breaking 2427 users are online at the same time due to the release of DF2014.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:56:24 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 03:54:33 pm »

April 9th, 2009 last post before VN was locked.

Anyone able to get dates on the penguin avatar bit?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »

Added in the listed dates.  Used the Posting History thread to add in the rest of the record dates.  Marked the introduction of Dwarf Fortress and the record number of individuals joining as the starts of the Second and Third Eras of the forum.  Considering the high influx of posters dropped to pre-2011 levels in January of 2013, might mark that as start of the Fourth Era.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 04:51:58 pm »

It occurs to me that Jifodus has time logged for almost exactly half of the time since account creation. That's...even weirder, and I say that as the second place holder.

I'm also submitting March 7th, 2013, the date of creation for the one and only DPRK Thread, forum sensation and one-time Europol Thread refugee camp. The thread's creation pertains to threats of war made against the United States of America by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on March 7th, 2013.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:54:58 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

Considering there had apparently been a reorganization of the forums when Various Nonsense was shut down that resulted in the creation of multiple lower boards, I decided to mark that as the beginning of the Third Era and shifted down the others.

Added the Troll Watch, Dwarven Child Care, Mermaid Farming, and DPRK threads.  Anyone know of where the grisha5 thread is?  Might be good to add to that entry.

Edit: The Descan thread might be good to add as well, anyone got that date?

Edit2: What was the name of the guy that spammed magma in large red letters?  May want to add the date he joined.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:04:47 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »

I don't think the Grisha thread got nuked, but I'm pretty sure that the Toad locked it due to wiki shenanigans.

And the magma guy was necro910, he was later banned for something involving ponies.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:12:15 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10