Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14791 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »

2014-04-28: Descan thread created.
2014-04-29: Fad starts as marked on gravestone.
2014-05-06: Fad ends as marked on gravestone.
2016-06-28: I see 2014 me and cringe hard enough to channel Descan

The reign of intense Scandinavian raiders lasted for one week, but remnants have held on for more than two years. It is terrifying.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:16:30 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »

You should probably add some of the legendary story fort threads as well, the battlefailed series, deathgate, towersoared, etc.  the hall of legends has links to all of those threads I believe.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 05:20:12 pm »

Considering there had apparently been a reorganization of the forums when Various Nonsense was shut down that resulted in the creation of multiple lower boards, I decided to mark that as the beginning of the Third Era and shifted down the others.

Added the Troll Watch, Dwarven Child Care, Mermaid Farming, and DPRK threads.  Anyone know of where the grisha5 thread is?  Might be good to add to that entry.

Edit: The Descan thread might be good to add as well, anyone got that date?

Edit2: What was the name of the guy that spammed magma in large red letters?  May want to add the date he joined.
Search for grisha5, go to the god mode thread, click on grisha5's post history. Or http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=105805
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 05:22:33 pm »

Penguin fad/Desc fad/Flag fad?

Also something about the first instance of the birthday cake

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »

I don't think the Grisha thread got nuked, but I'm pretty sure that the Toad locked it due to wiki shenanigans.

And the magma guy was necro910, he was later banned for something involving ponies.

Thank you very much.

June 14th, 2010: cbpye discovers the first recorded Adamantine Spire worldgen error. Sadly, it appears most images of this event have succumbed to time.

May 9th, 2010: During the Reign of Bronze, in which the current release's Bronze Colossi proved invincible, user The Anus of Discontent managed the first recorded kill of an invulnerable Bronze Colossus by decapitating it with a thrown live fluffy wambler.

DPRK Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123671.0

Added.

You should probably add some of the legendary story fort threads as well, the battlefailed series, deathgate, towersoared, etc.  the hall of legends has links to all of those threads I believe.

Might be more practical just to link the start of the Hall of Legends threads.  Heroes such as Tholtig, Cacame, and Asax, as well as the first forts in a series (ex. Sparkgears, Battlefailed) could be included.  Don't think we should include Boatmurdered, as that was on Something Awful rather than Bay 12.  Might give a mention if it's original start coincides with a mass influx of activity/new members, though.

Going to run through the old Bay 12 Archaeology thread.  Maybe we can pick up a couple things from there.  Edit: May need a bit of help in sorting through it into a list.

One request, anyone have the date of the last Slaves to Armok 1 release, the last release of Liberal Crime Squad by Toady, and the release dates of his other projects?  Might as well put those up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:30:51 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:03 pm »

The final release of LCS by Toady was 3.09. Here's 3.06.

"The New Liberal Crime Squad"

In more frivolous archeology, Toady announces intentions to work on "the dwarf game".

A petrified spambot, selling biscuits instead of kitchen appliances. Toady's penchant for altering spambot messages have lost its original spam to time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »

Anyone remembers when the first kitchenbot was? The threads have been deleted, so the only way to know is either someone with good memory or references in other threads.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »

I believe one or two later grisha threads got deleted. One was made somewhen around the same time as this thread. After Toady intervened a couple times, His Fiveness stopped inspiring his followers quite so directly. While respectable, the reverence did occasionally get a little over the top.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »

ptw. will rant and dump stuff later

also the shock spammer is believed to have been stopped by Toady implementing a requirement that all new users have to be approved by him before registration can be officially completed.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 06:03:38 pm »

also the shock spammer is believed to have been stopped by Toady implementing a requirement that all new users have to be approved by him before registration can be officially completed.
That's probably not the case. mus2kack of the Infinite Esoteric Wisdom got through a couple days ago.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »

Modified the format of the listing of dates to make things use up a few less characters in the long run.  Added the start dates of What's going on in your fort?, Sad, Rage, WTF, and the two Hall of Legends threads.  Added in the last sighting of grisha5 to help populate the lower end of the timeline a bit and as an alternative to listing grisha5 threads.  Haven't run through the Archaeology thread yet, and a class is starting soon.  If someone could compile a list, I would be grateful.

Edit: Anime, Out of Context, Posting History, and Mildly Sad start dates have been added.

Edit2: Anyone got a timeframe on when Pathos occurred?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:18:19 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »

Another request before I head off to class: when was the first Masterwork Dwarf Fortress release?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »

Broken link to the fluffy wambler killshot thread.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10