Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14794 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 06:35:29 pm »

Another request before I head off to class: when was the first Masterwork Dwarf Fortress release?
Original thread for the original version. No idea if Meph created the thread the day the first version was released, or before. You'll have to PM him.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »

So much cool stuff in Various Nonsense. I'll dig up dates for the great forum split, the yuri thread, and the mobile battle fortress.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 06:44:33 pm »

Was the origin of Drunk Fortress on Bay 12, or elsewhere?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 06:46:25 pm »

and the mobile battle fortress.
Wasn't this the first penguin thread, that ended when it attacked the announcements board?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 07:12:56 pm »

also the shock spammer is believed to have been stopped by Toady implementing a requirement that all new users have to be approved by him before registration can be officially completed.
That's probably not the case. mus2kack of the Infinite Esoteric Wisdom got through a couple days ago.
Talking about the specific spammer who kept repeatedly joining over and over on a daily basis. Not all spammers in general. Of course might be wrong still, but still.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:57 pm »

also the shock spammer is believed to have been stopped by Toady implementing a requirement that all new users have to be approved by him before registration can be officially completed.
That's probably not the case. mus2kack of the Infinite Esoteric Wisdom got through a couple days ago.
Talking about the specific spammer who kept repeatedly joining over and over on a daily basis. Not all spammers in general. Of course might be wrong still, but still.
Oh, I see.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »

First post of Kurtulmak

Birth of the Scanfad

Union of Static Self-Representations made in opposition to the Scanfad

Flagbearer fad thread

Forum goes down for an extremely alarming amount of time, and when it returns it temporarily loses all content past the date of February 19th 2009, leading to mass panic until they are restored a couple hours later.

The Bay12 Member Map project is posted, which grows to show a not too surprising survey of demographics and eventually becomes a massive pile of memes

Birth of the Feudalism thread, which eventually is derailed into an extremely popular and memetic map making forum game

July 23, 2011 a spambot thread selling something to do with Forex gets derailed into becoming a ridiculous forum game thanks to people making 4X puns

Third consecutive My Little Pony Thread gets locked for discussion of an inappropriate subject. This is decided to be the last straw by Toady and dedicated My Little Pony threads are banned from the forum

#bay12lb IRC Channel established. Has a rocky start due to conflict with the older bay12 IRC which had split off from the main community years ago.

Bayomon Bay12 ROMhack project is started. Makes a surprising amount of progress with with working test versions created.

So far have been having difficulty locating dates for the various homestuck avatar fads, the creation of the masterwork subforum, and the shortlived Putnam and Deon modding subforums which were made seperately from the other modding subforums

BTW you might want to add to the shock spammer entry that it spawned a mass debate over whether or not more moderation should be added to the forum administration.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:35:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:58 pm »

Oh man, the map still makes me laugh.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »

Should we put LSP's banning on the timeline? He did have quite a reputation, but I'm not sure if he was notable enough.
-snip-
related: I figured out what prestige class Furt took
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:16:03 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 08:00:46 pm »

The old irc was a pretty cool place, although I haven't wandered there in a long time.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:18:05 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2016, 08:14:47 pm »

Second MLP thread is locked a day after Bohandas links a wiki page describing a meme that turned out to contain a nude image in thumbnail form combined with behavior of the thread shortly afterwards that skirted too closely to that of the kind that got the first thread banned.

The first thread appears to likely have been wiped off the face of the board.
It was. I don't remember when (probably shortly before bohanda's), but it was beacuse people were posting rape-fics. It was rumoured Necro was banned because of it, but it was for unrelated reasons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 08:15:16 pm »

LSP and GWG are noteworthy imo

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »

Looking at the feudalism thread Furt posted, can't see any of the maps. Can anybody else see them, or is it just on my end? If anybody else can see them, can they rehost the last map to Imgur or something, please?

Didn't see Furt's edit

Does anybody have them saved anywhere? My curiosity is piqued.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10