Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34

Author Topic: Gods of Creation OOC (Formally Unnamed Interest Check)  (Read 43764 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of Creation OOC (Formally Unnamed Interest Check)
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2016, 03:13:46 pm »

the Plague will be released IF it has the power to do so, IF it lacks the power to do so we might actually be paying him for whatever plague he sends, which will most likely be sent either way if it does have the power to do so.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2016, 03:16:18 pm »

It's prevention, not medicine.
Sleeve doesn't kill. And if she did, it'd be awfully ironic if she later creates the Hippocratic Oath.
...while I think that's a stupid attitude for a god of medicine to have, I'll try a different approach here.

Do you think this is going to stop at one plague? Titans are not our friend. We're setting a precedent here, showing we're pushovers. It's like broadcasting a signal to all the titans everywhere that they can just walk over us, and that this is the perfect planet to crush and destroy. If we don't come down on this titan like a hammer, he's going to go to all his titan friends and tell them he's found a perfect planet to mess with. We very well may not have a planet left at the end of it. Think about what you're doing please.

Did you guys ever consider what actually caused the gods of that other planet to fail? 7 out of 10 odds it was titans. Do you guys want to be like those loser gods? Do you?
It's the attitude she has, she's not going to kill someone unless they pose a direct threat.
If the titan brings forth a hundred plagues, she'll create a hundred cures. She's the god of medicine, and she's going to live up to that name.
If it makes her look like a pushover, let it be so.
I was more referring to prevention not being medicine. If there's one god you'd expect to be opposed to bringing plagues into the world, it'd be the god of medicine. But apparently not. Honestly, not a very good medicine god.

And while you're creating the cures, your people are dying. Do you think you'll have anyone left by the tenth plague let alone the hundreth?

It's not the looking like a pushover itself that's the problem, it's the consequences of looking like a pushover. I.e. titans swarming the planet and doing far more than just creating plagues.
...while I think that's a stupid attitude for a god of medicine to have, I'll try a different approach here.

Do you think this is going to stop at one plague? Titans are not our friend. We're setting a precedent here, showing we're pushovers. It's like broadcasting a signal to all the titans everywhere that they can just walk over us, and that this is the perfect planet to crush and destroy. If we don't come down on this titan like a hammer, he's going to go to all his titan friends and tell them he's found a perfect planet to mess with. We very well may not have a planet left at the end of it. Think about what you're doing please.

Did you guys ever consider what actually caused the gods of that other planet to fail? 7 out of 10 odds it was titans. Do you guys want to be like those loser gods? Do you?
According to the IC description of Titans, all that we know is that :
Titan: These powerful beings have existed as long as the gods, but are very crude in their existence and creation abilities. They often appear as a loosely constructed being made out of one element or another and their ability to interact with the material world is lacking. Plus, they hate the gods. If a titan is coming to the gods, they must really want something.
[/spoiler]
-They hate Gods
-They seem established as Creation entities.
-They are powerful, but have very crude abilities.
At least one demigod has described Titans as "dastardly". This titan has told us that our planet disgusts him.
Anything beyond this is speculation, so we don't even know if Titans will actively try to destroy gods, if they are malevolent, true neutral, or follow some grander scheme.
True neutral beings don't threaten to unleash plagues. This titan has firmly established himself as malevolent

There are many answers we could give to the coming Titan, all with potential advantages and disadvantages :

1) Give him a Tribute
> Depending on the Titan mentality, it could establish us as "weak" and/or "cold-headed". The Titan could leave or decides indeed those Gods are fools that can be milked.
This is not acceptable to my god as an option, no matter how he'd take it.

2) Attack him
> Depending on the Titans mentality, it could either work for us by establishing us as "strong", or completely backfires by establishing us as "rebellious and dangerous", bringing upon us more and more angry Titans.
Rebellious? We don't have Titan overlords ruling over us from on high, something like that would have been noted. This would simply establish that we protect our territory, and yes are dangerous, meaning that the titan will probably leave us alone.

3) Speak with him
> He was established as not particularly bright. Is it a bluff or the truth ? We don't know.
So if we speak to him, anything could happen from managing to convince him of letting us alone, making him an ally, or even learning more about Titans themselves.
We are not going to make him our ally. Titans hate the gods. He hasn't come here to be our friend, or leave us alone. He's come here to threaten us into giving him money. He's shaking us down for protection money. He is not a good guy. Why do you think warnings or anything else will work on someone who wandered over and threatened our 'puny pantheon'?
4) Ignore him
> Will establish us as "Unimportant" or "Frustrating", which could either bring more problems or actually give us some peace. Of course, the plague would be unleashed.
Again titans hate the gods. Frustrating would likely just make him attack us more, and ignoring him won't make him think we're unimportant, it'll make him think he has free rein to ruin our world.
Actually, thinking about it, paying the tribute could be the more cost-efficient way of dealing with the problem. We are seve,  if 5 of us pay 2 power we will pay him. it would probably cost more to destroy him.
And again, do you really think that'll be the end of it? Best case scenario, he comes by regularly to shake us down for some protection money. Middle case scenario, he comes around with his titan friends and demands a much larger sum. Worst case scenario, he uses the points we give him to attack us.
the Plague will be released IF it has the power to do so, IF it lacks the power to do so we might actually be paying him for whatever plague he sends, which will most likely be sent either way if it does have the power to do so.
This guy has the right idea. Don't trust the titans. The titans are not our friends.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:22:12 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »

Or we could make something even better: a dimensional shield, something that protects our universe from any unwanted guest. This will show our power without starting a true war(or at least itn will give us a better weapon if the war starts).

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2016, 03:28:39 pm »

Or we could make something even better: a dimensional shield, something that protects our universe from any unwanted guest. This will show our power without starting a true war(or at least itn will give us a better weapon if the war starts).
And also be ridiculously expensive. I very much doubt we could afford something like this even if we used every intervention point every god has.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:30:22 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2016, 03:32:59 pm »

It's the attitude she has, she's not going to kill someone unless they pose a direct threat.
If the titan brings forth a hundred plagues, she'll create a hundred cures. She's the god of medicine, and she's going to live up to that name.
If it makes her look like a pushover, let it be so.
I was more referring to prevention not being medicine. If there's one god you'd expect to be opposed to bringing plagues into the world, it'd be the god of medicine. But apparently not. Honestly, not a very good medicine god.

And while you're creating the cures, your people are dying. Do you think you'll have anyone left by the tenth plague let alone the hundreth?

It's not the looking like a pushover itself that's the problem, it's the consequences of looking like a pushover. I.e. titans swarming the planet and doing far more than just creating plagues.
Sure, she's an idiot and a fool, too bad. OOC arguing isn't going to change that.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »

I think it would count as a global blessing that, according to the charts, costs 50 points. If we give 10 points each tahat makes 70 points, more than enough to shield us agains everything.I' m going to use for this the points i would have used to contact the new continent races if we decide to do that.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2016, 03:33:34 pm »

And also be ridiculously expensive. I very much doubt we could afford something like this even if we used every intervention point every god has.
I think it would count as a global blessing that, according to the charts, costs 50 points. If we give 10 points each tahat makes 70 points, more than enough to shield us agains everything.I' m going to use for this the points i would have used to contact the new continent races if we decide to do that.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2016, 03:37:10 pm »

Sure, she's an idiot and a fool, too bad. OOC arguing isn't going to change that.
I have already made most of my case IC. Your god has not responded to any of it. What exactly do you want me to do here, single out Sleeve for making fishies instead of tackling the Titan?

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »

True neutral beings don't threaten to unleash plagues. This titan has firmly established himself as malevolent
edit because I forgot this sentence: Indeed, this Titan seems malevolent. But that doesn't mean he can't be reasoned with.

2) Attack him
> Depending on the Titans mentality, it could either work for us by establishing us as "strong", or completely backfires by establishing us as "rebellious and dangerous", bringing upon us more and more angry Titans.
Rebellious? We don't have Titan overlords ruling over us from on high, something like that would have been noted. This would simply establish that we protect our territory, and yes are dangerous, meaning that the titan will probably leave us alone.
But we don't know how Titans interact with each others. Are they united ? Scattered ? Bound to a sense of comradeship ? Hate each others ?

Of course attacking and in the best case besting the Titan could bring us the respect of Titans, depending on their morals.
But then again, it could also bring upon ourselves the wrath of dozen or hundred Titans depending on Titan's relationships/morals.

We have to be aware that lacking information, the "Attack" option is highly risky.

3) Speak with him
> He was established as not particularly bright. Is it a bluff or the truth ? We don't know.
So if we speak to him, anything could happen from managing to convince him of letting us alone, making him an ally, or even learning more about Titans themselves.
We are not going to make him our ally. Titans hate the gods. He hasn't come here to be our friend, or leave us alone. He's come here to threaten us into giving him money. He's shaking us down for protection money. He is not a good guy. Why do you think warnings or anything else will work on someone who wandered over and threatened our 'puny pantheon'?

4) Ignore him
> Will establish us as "Unimportant" or "Frustrating", which could either bring more problems or actually give us some peace. Of course, the plague would be unleashed.
Again titans hate the gods. Frustrating would like just make him attack us more, and ignoring him won't make him think we're unimportant, it'll make him think he has free rein to ruin our world.
Actually, thinking about it, paying the tribute could be the more cost-efficient way of dealing with the problem. We are seve,  if 5 of us pay 2 power we will pay him. it would probably cost more to destroy him.
And again, do you really think that'll be the end of it? Best case scenario, he comes by regularly to shake us down for some protection money. Worst case scenario, he comes around with his titan friends and demands a much larger sum.
[/quote]
We know Titans hate us, but it doesn't mean they actively seek our end.
They are indeed not our friends, maybe there is no way they can. But it doesn't mean they can't respect us for our behavior or decisions.

If we tried to speak or negotiate with the Titan, we could make him see us in another light. The instant-aggression way is too risky by itself, I do not favor it.

And if the conversation turned out out to be useless, nothing would prevent us from then trying to attack him.

So to summarize :
-Attacking is High Risk / Medium Reward
-Speaking is Medium Risk / High Reward
-Nothing prevent us from Attacking if Speaking fail

This is what I believe is the most leveled answer to this question. Don't speak with fists first.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:40:29 pm by Nakéen »

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »

No love for the universal shield idea?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2016, 03:44:01 pm »

Snip - Why not give diplomacy a chance -snip
If the titan had been less hostile when he showed up, I'd be all for talking to him. But again, he just rolled over, told us he hated everything we've made with every fibre of his being, insulted us, and threatened us unless we submit and give him tribute to not do bad things. This is not the sort of person you negotiate with. This is the sort of person you immediately kick out of your solar system with extreme prejudice.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2016, 03:54:22 pm »

Hey, an universal shield is also a great idea. Long term effects would be great, as it would allow us more control over external influences.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2016, 03:58:21 pm »

Hey, an universal shield is also a great idea. Long term effects would be great, as it would allow us more control over external influences.
Thank you! :). Now that we have enough power to do this we shoud.About 8 points each, all of us and i think we can create something impenetrable.I think i'm going to propose that in the IC.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2016, 04:11:57 pm »

Thank you! :). Now that we have enough power to do this we shoud.About 8 points each, all of us and i think we can create something impenetrable.I think i'm going to propose that in the IC.
The "no demons" clause may cost you the willingness of three or so members of our pantheon though, and I still think you're severely underestimating the price. But I'm fine with this being a multi-turn project if the rest of you are. Titans can buzz off.

EDIT: To clarify, how exactly will this barrier determine who to block? If it blocks everything, I would not support it. If it only blocks demons and titans, that misses other stuff like monstrosities. If it blocks stuff we decide it should block, how do we decide, voting?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:14:08 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2016, 04:15:09 pm »

Well of course we could allow those we want to pass in,it' s just the unwanted guests who are rejected.
Edit:I think each god that partecipates in the creation of the wall gets to decide what can pass and what can not. This way we block the threats to all the pantheon but still gives use the freedom to take every opportunity that may rise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:17:38 pm by Leonardo8 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34