Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Very old scars suddenly hurting?  (Read 20334 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Very old scars suddenly hurting?
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:42:25 pm »

I've got a couple of old scars on my arm - about 16 years old, actually - which have suddenly started hurting over the last few days. I've heard of this happening to scars that are a few months or even a couple of years old, but it seems odd that this is happening now. The scars haven't changed since I was a teenager.

At the same time, I've been having a lot of soreness in my knees lately. Now, this may well be simple "getting older" pains (oh god am I already old enough for that?), but the fact that it was happening at the same time as the scars on my arm were hurting made me wonder if there was some link. I did injure my both knees about ten years ago playing rugby, though I never found out exactly what the injury was because I refused to go to the doctor. I just stopped playing rugby and limped for a few months until the pain went away. It seems likely that there may be some kind of scar tissue in there. Is there anything (changing weather, hormonal changes, etc.) that might cause scar tissue around the body to be sore? Although if so, why don't my wrists and ankle (all full of scar tissue, wheeee!) hurt?

I know this probably sounds like a ridiculously analytical and nitpicky question, but, well, that's the type of brain I've got. I'm not at all worried about it, but it's interesting, a thing is happening that I don't understand, and I want to know WHY. And if there's anywhere on the online full of people who love analyzing random information for no good reason, I figure it's here. Hooray! Any insights?

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very old scars suddenly hurting?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:45:00 pm »

Have you made any lifestyle changes recently, especially with respect to diet or physical activity?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »

Hm... Well, I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago and didn't eat almost at all for a few days. Since then I definitely haven't been eating as much as I did before, just lost my appetite long-term I guess. Trying to eat healthier, and less meat (and more tofu/beans instead). And I've been trying to get more exercise, mostly long walks and some Kinect Sports and Dance Central on the Xbox. Which, of course, could certainly account for the sore knees - could it be related to the old scars hurting as well?

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »

Hm... Well, I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago and didn't eat almost at all for a few days. Since then I definitely haven't been eating as much as I did before, just lost my appetite long-term I guess. Trying to eat healthier, and less meat (and more tofu/beans instead). And I've been trying to get more exercise, mostly long walks and some Kinect Sports and Dance Central on the Xbox. Which, of course, could certainly account for the sore knees - could it be related to the old scars hurting as well?
The exercise might contribute to the knees, but it doesn't sound terribly strenuous. Swimming is a good alternative it if turns out you need exercise that puts less stress on joints. If you're cutting out meat (and this is not an admonition, I'm pescetarian) you might be cutting out some important fats. I'd try intentionally eating more nuts/avocados/eggs/fish and seeing if that helps out at all with either the knees or scar tissue. In terms of things which may not address the cause, but still alleviate pain, you can try light massages or hot compresses on the scar tissue and see if it makes a difference.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 03:40:29 pm »

<Insert MGSV: The Phantom Pain reference here>
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:51:33 pm »

For the record: Human flesh has all the nutrients, vitamins and proteins needed for healthy human activity.

Just saying...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 04:55:46 pm »

What are the scars like? If they contain a lot of keratinous tissue it might explain it, since it has almost zero elasticity and might be getting torn by movement.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:27 am »

The exercise might contribute to the knees, but it doesn't sound terribly strenuous. Swimming is a good alternative it if turns out you need exercise that puts less stress on joints. If you're cutting out meat (and this is not an admonition, I'm pescetarian) you might be cutting out some important fats. I'd try intentionally eating more nuts/avocados/eggs/fish and seeing if that helps out at all with either the knees or scar tissue. In terms of things which may not address the cause, but still alleviate pain, you can try light massages or hot compresses on the scar tissue and see if it makes a difference.

I eat loads of eggs and the occasional tuna sandwich, and I try to eat avocados regularly but it's tough to find decent ones where I live. Actually, my knees have been okay since I wrote the first post. I suppose it's probably just a result of strain from exercise. Sadly I can't swim due to sensory issues. :( I'm pretty limited to just walking and video games for exercise. My body is kind of a jerk.

What are the scars like? If they contain a lot of keratinous tissue it might explain it, since it has almost zero elasticity and might be getting torn by movement.

I do not know what keratinous tissue is. The one scar which is hurting now, on my arm, is totally white, only slightly raised... Not sure how else to describe it. It was from a fairly deep cut, on my forearm. I was actually surprised when it became such an awful scar, and especially that it never went away even after now 16 years. I didn't think the cut was that deep, it's only about 3 cm (a little over an inch) long, and I put a bandage on it pretty soon after it happened. Although I do remember it bleeding a lot.

It's not incredibly painful or anything. Just painful enough to be a semi-distracting annoyance. If you ever got an "Indian Sunburn" in school, it feels a bit like a mild version of that, like the skin is being stretched in two different directions at once, which hurts. I keep rubbing it but it doesn't really help. I've actually got two other scars on the arm, similar-looking but much smaller, which do not hurt at all.

Bodies are weird, man.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 04:20:53 am »

I know this probably sounds like a ridiculously analytical and nitpicky question,[...]
Oh you should hear how my brain works :P It's thoroughly analytical that anything troublesome is met by one initial thought of "Oh, so that's how that {word/concept} feels!"

There's nothing different with how you think. :> We're all diversely unique in how we work with out thoughts, and nitpicky is something less definitive of it than what it really is. Knowing WHY is a component of all minds--it's how we work with it that makes us all pretty diverse (also in knowing why, too.) :D

As for this: PTW ._. I'm not really sure about this other than having inferring thoughts nudging me about 'this may be something biologically related so...diet or something or neurotransmitters or something?'

Ever tried asking a doctor about this? :D (And while Chairman P. is a doctor as far as I know, advice of this matter in a determinative way can't easily be given online due to obvious reasons like the need of a physical check-up and medical history and such)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »

*turns up to provide moral support*

Yeah, I've got nothing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 01:29:42 pm »

In case of medical question: ask doctor, not internet.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:15:57 pm »

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I was just wondering what the cause is. I wasn't worried about it or looking for any kind of treatment, really. The pain is already starting to go away on its own. Just wondering if anyone had any insight into what would be causing it.

Believe me, considering what I have to go through to see a doctor here, and considering how pathetically little my insurance pays for, it's always worth asking online first, especially for something that isn't a big deal.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 03:23:12 pm »

Wow.

Just, wow.

That's horrific care.

They should be ashamed of themselves.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »

To be fair, it's not the doctors' faults at all. The government here is famously corrupt*. There should be plenty of money to fully fund and support the state hospitals and provide the best care to everyone, but "certain people" keep skimming off the top, with the result that the average doctor in a state hospital works crazy long hours and gets paid about the same as a fast food worker. There are loads of private doctors, and most people go to those, but generally they only accept state health insurance, not the private traveler's insurance I have to buy. So essentially, it sucks for foreigners, but it works out well for most actual citizens here. Unless they're doctors working in state hospitals, obviously.

*Link goes to the former president stealing a pen like the dipshit he was (the new one is even worse, but far less entertaining)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 04:03:40 pm »

<Insert reference about harry potter and his scar here>
Pages: [1] 2 3