Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56580 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:56 pm »

That was what I was thinking about, although in that case they had the option of making diagonal moves take 1.4 times as long as orthogonal moves. That clearly isn't an option in Civ since it's strictly turn-based.

Just using hex tiles and avoiding weird non-Euclidean square grids is more intuitive really.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2016, 10:38:57 pm »

That was what I was thinking about, although in that case they had the option of making diagonal moves take 1.4 times as long as orthogonal moves. That clearly isn't an option in Civ since it's strictly turn-based.
Why not add decimal movement points and multi-turn actions?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2016, 10:52:18 pm »

Just using hex tiles and avoiding weird non-Euclidean square grids is more intuitive really.
Bloody things are a sodding nightmare to navigate with just about anything except a mouse, though. Hex movement and thinking around it has always been kind of a pain in the ass if you've spent much time beforehand dealing with square/4 or 8 directions based stuff, imo... which has kinda' been the standard most control interfaces in the last few decades have been designed around. So it's pretty likely hexes are going to be at odds with a lot of what someone's been trained to see normal. Regardless of how unintuitive it's supposed to be.

Personally, the intuitive has long been those non-euclidean squares. Takes the same amount of time for a queen to move in any direction, dagnabbit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:14 am »

Why not add decimal movement points and multi-turn actions?

Decimal moves already exist in Civ (even in Civ4), as evidenced by how roads work as well as promotions which reduce movement cost on some tiles (e.g. forest, hills). It still causes some non-intuitive weirdness because a unit with even a tiny fraction of movement remaining can still move into a tile, or attack. (It occurs to me that units should have their attack strength penalized if they have less than 1 full movement point remaining.) Eventually things have to be abstracted either way, but true enough that it happens less so with hex tiles, though as Frumple points out, it hasn't existed long enough for a standard keyboard interface to develop. (Maybe just NP-7-8-9 and 1-2-3 would work?)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:50:25 am by Niveras »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2016, 08:45:39 am »

Hum ...
It's normal (in civ5) to have a full attack if you have 0.3 movement points left, as they let you make a full movement, after all.

and In civ5, you can use the numeric pad to move your units, you know ?
You use 4 and 6 to go to the sides, and 7, 9, 1, 3 to go in the "diagonals".

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2016, 10:41:11 am »

Hum ...
It's normal (in civ5) to have a full attack if you have 0.3 movement points left, as they let you make a full movement, after all.
Yes, and I mean it could perhaps be otherwise. Not sure if it really makes a difference either way, though.
and In civ5, you can use the numeric pad to move your units, you know ?
You use 4 and 6 to go to the sides, and 7, 9, 1, 3 to go in the "diagonals".
Ah, I didn't know that.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2016, 12:50:32 pm »

They do have their attack penalized for attacking with less then one move, as far back as civ 2, iirc, but since I'm going by memory alone it's entirely possible I could be misremembering which version it started with and whether any removed the penalty.

P.S. I don't remember civ 1 particularly, except the intro.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »

I would bet a civ6 pre-order that the Civ5 I play doesn't have a malus for attacking with 0.33 movement points left (so with the CBO mod).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:38 pm »

Why do you have a congressional budget office mod for your civ 5?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »

Community Balance Mod (the patch part of it is Vox Populi), previously known as CP/CBP : http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2016, 11:02:35 am »

ptw
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2016, 09:13:12 pm »

REVIVE!!!!

So I've been watching videos and news about this game and the more I watch the more I approve of all their big changes.

1. You have cassus belli for wars now, just like Paradox games:
What this basically means is that you can war for specific reasons and targets (holy war, reconquest war, surprise war, etc.) and they carry different or even no warmongering penalties. Finally you don't have to get penalized just for defending your allies or whatever nor do you have to conquer all your opponents cities just to end the war. Apparently the severity also changes depending on the time period where wars in the ancient era don't even cost any warmongering at all.

2. Unstacked cities:
I think this is a great change and the way they made it so you get a lot of adjacency bonuses makes city planning actually fun and completely different based on where your city is. No longer do you just have carbon copy cities everywhere. Also being able to see wonders being placed properly on the map is great!

3. Roads built by trading:
I never knew how much I wanted this until I heard about it. Now you don't have to slowly chain your workers to build connections to your cities, but rather trade caravans will automatically build them between the cities they trade with. This also means that if you trade a lot with neighbouring civs, you end up with roads connecting your cities naturally. Nice!

4. Diplomacy looks more interesting, since information is now going to be a premium commodity:
So from what I understand, they're changing it so that you won't necessarily know what's happening in the rest of the world as stuff will be hidden behind rumours that you have to decipher. Additionally, it seems they're amping up the agendas system so that the civs are more clear cut on what they want to do and they have goals that are more interesting than "conquer the world" or "win a cultural victory". Now they're interested in stuff like declaring war on anyone who is a warmonger on their own continent or having the largest navy or stuff like that.

5. Units can be stacked again:
Not completely though. Looks like they went with a middle ground which is fine by me. I was okay with both versions but I did like the tactical choices you had to make when you couldn't stack.

6. The civs are so distinct and different:
Holy cow just watch those civ introduction videos. All the different guys are so completely different from one another. And I know they've always been distinct but this time it feels like they turned it up to 11. I know when I watched a few of them I kept going "that sounds incredibly overpowered" but it looks like they're doing the Dota school of balance by making everything overpowered in their own unique ways.

7. Great people are all unique, dependent on the era, with their own abilities and you have to compete for them:
No longer will Archimedes be the same as Da Vinci!!!! They're different now! And that you have to fight with the other civs to get the ones you want, oh man that's incredible.

8. You don't just buy city states any more:
Now they use an envoy system (so you don't have to constantly refresh your bribe to them like before) and the civ with the most envoys with a city state is the suzurein. I much prefer this as I really disliked the stupid quest / bribery system from before. Also all the different city states are now unique in their bonuses unlike the 4 different types we used to have prior. Heck yeah!

Anyway, here are some videos:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7LgQX01Ng
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIS_6yoz__s
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKCYmRF_DMQ

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:36 pm »

Yeah, for all that I loved Civ III, the AI doomstacks can stay fucked off.

Still probably not going to buy VI though, because my money is on their AI still being dumb as a bag of bricks and the difficulty modes still just being extra multipliers to brute-force it into outproducing the player. Honestly baffled that nobody has managed to copy what Stardock managed all the way back in GalCivII.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2016, 12:46:05 am »

I imagine I'll hold off until they get an expansion or two into it. V was pretty good after the expansions came out, though it was horribly boring initially.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2016, 12:49:50 am »

I imagine I'll hold off until they get an expansion or two into it. V was pretty good after the expansions came out, though it was horribly boring initially.

Some people have a theory that there won't be any expansions... or at least they are going to hold off on it for a long time and have a lot less.

that they are trying to nickel and dime you for extra Civs, which is why this game has the least in the entire series.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26