Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56573 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2016, 01:04:57 am »

The thing is, the devs already have said there will be expansions.
The "world council", as it is in civ5 is "missing", because they said they would like to see how players use (and abuse) the current diplomatic system, before putting a Diplomatic Victory back in, with an equivalent to the World Council.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:23 am »

Well, there is the part where Civ6 has plenty of content from Civ5 expansions, such as religion and tourism.
Whether you like or dislike the fat that this is unusual, it's certainly better than most sequels.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:43 am »

The "world council", as it is in civ5 is "missing", because they said they would like to see how players use (and abuse) the current diplomatic system, before putting a Diplomatic Victory back in, with an equivalent to the World Council.

Who is to say new factions aren't expansions?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2016, 06:10:14 am »

Who is to say new factions aren't expansions?
Who is to say they are?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2016, 07:29:35 am »

The art style looks like a crappy adware pay to win browser game that would advertise itself using a buxom lady 9 times out of 10 or a cartoony night with the phrase "Command and conquer" The other time.

Other than that, I probably won't buy it until there's a 75% steam discount or something, maybe with any DLC. Really bummed lately at how many companies are going the route of 'We're releasing a new game in two years. By the way, the three DLC packs we have already will cost as much as the game itself. Hype train, away!".

I think I'll stick to games that don't release 70% finished with the promise that I can spend twice as much to get it to 95%, with mods.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2016, 07:45:05 am »

While I'm glad that people are starting to learn not to buy into hype, am I really stuck subscribed to another thread where people just end up bitching at each other again?

Sigh...

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:46 am »

While I'm glad that people are starting to learn not to buy into hype, am I really stuck subscribed to another thread where people just end up bitching at each other again?

Sigh...

Not really seeing anyone arguing in this thread, just alot of generally negative opinions and a few discussions.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2016, 10:22:14 am »

I'm skeptical of partial unit stacking. It seems like it would play out similarly to 1UPT except you have to spend time assembling your "one unit" from other units.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2016, 10:45:41 am »

Well I'm hyped, but mostly because I enjoy playing Civ multiplayer against my roommate so much.  I just hope they don't dumb down the diplomacy/espionage in multiplayer. 

It also looks like there will be a lot more planning and a lot less just hitting "end turn" waiting for stuff to happen.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2016, 10:53:11 am »

I am interested in this. I like the art style, and I hope the initial launch state is good.

a-am i contrarion enough yet? :P

Seriously though, all of that is true. I am interested. Especially after watching the yogscast playthroughts on the civ channel :3

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2016, 11:07:54 am »

Well I'm hyped, but mostly because I enjoy playing Civ multiplayer against my roommate so much.  I just hope they don't dumb down the diplomacy/espionage in multiplayer. 

It also looks like there will be a lot more planning and a lot less just hitting "end turn" waiting for stuff to happen.
Apparently they're putting in more MP modes so you don't have to dedicate an entire day or several days to playing a game.

Not sure what they meant though.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:05 am »

Apparently they're putting in more MP modes so you don't have to dedicate an entire day or several days to playing a game.

Not sure what they meant though.

Sacrilege!  Its not really CIV game unless I completely waste a full weekend playing it.   :P 

Honestly though that is probably going to be really handy. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »

At this point I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dumb down Civ5 espionage.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2016, 04:59:30 pm »

Looks like when designing Gilgamesh, they remembered that this guy had sex with all the women in Uruk and the earliest sources make it sound like only their husbands had a problem with it.

REVIVE!!!!

So I've been watching videos and news about this game and the more I watch the more I approve of all their big changes.

1. You have cassus belli for wars now, just like Paradox games:
2. Unstacked cities:
3. Roads built by trading:
4. Diplomacy looks more interesting, since information is now going to be a premium commodity:
5. Units can be stacked again:
6. The civs are so distinct and different:
7. Great people are all unique, dependent on the era, with their own abilities and you have to compete for them:
8. You don't just buy city states any more:
Seems like literally all eight points are directly copied from other games. Which is... I mean, it's good that they're not getting left behind by the industry, and I like a lot of the implementation, but when you list it out like this it winds up sounding like a lot of just "copy stuff from Stardock and Amplitude".

Yeah, for all that I loved Civ III, the AI doomstacks can stay fucked off.

Still probably not going to buy VI though, because my money is on their AI still being dumb as a bag of bricks and the difficulty modes still just being extra multipliers to brute-force it into outproducing the player. Honestly baffled that nobody has managed to copy what Stardock managed all the way back in GalCivII.
They managed it there for three reasons:
1. The game was relatively simple. Computers are good at simple games.
2. They use many threads effectively, so the AI can make expensive calculations in the background.
3. The guy who does AI is the CEO, and at the time the company was pretty small, so he could do what he wanted, even if that was continue working on AI constantly for a game after it was released, and incorporate player strategies and responses.

Civilization is trying to be less simple, although it's not super super deep. They don't necessarily have a top-tier multi-threaded AI coder, because that's such a niche skill that the people who are exemplary at it are quite rare. Even if they do, they probably don't have one working on the game constantly and also playing and following community strategies.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2016, 06:19:51 pm »

Oh no.

Games are copying ideas from each other.

The world is ending.

-----------

In other news of the less nitpicky variety.

Civ 6's Gilgamesh looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I bet you day 1 will have a mod where Gilgamesh will end up like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though I personally would love a mod that made Gilgamesh himself their special unit, in which you could only build one of and he was the most overpowered thing in the entire game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26