Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26214 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48:01 pm »

Oh yes, absolutely, we've proven to be excellent mariners so far.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »

desperately take out some candy canes and try to turn them into throwing shivs grab some caramel it helps heal wounds..
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2016, 01:52:02 pm »

Devan finishes calibrations on Lil Josie, then stands in the center of the deck, menacing with his cannon towards the pirates.

"COME N' GET IT YA DAFT BASTARDS!"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »

That Bloody Cat heard this from a distance. It decided to leave its meal for some time to investigate.

That Bloody Cat seeks out the source of the mystery noise.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2016, 11:55:34 am »

four votes for and none opposed, anyway (counting my three). It may not be the right plan, but, hey, I followed the 12 year old's crazy navigation this far, so, why not?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2016, 01:46:20 pm »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats

That Bloody Cat heard this from a distance. It decided to leave its meal for some time to investigate.

That Bloody Cat seeks out the source of the mystery noise.
Some idiot yelling about something. Can't tell why.

Devan finishes calibrations on Lil Josie, then stands in the center of the deck, menacing with his cannon towards the pirates.

Cannon ready.

desperately take out some candy canes and try to turn them into throwing shivs grab some caramel it helps heal wounds..
Weirding: 3.

You shatter some confectioneries, making long shards with arcane-looking, oddly coloured blades.

They aren't arcane though. They're just the best throwing knifes one can make by dropping candy on a hard surface. Which isn't saying much.

Though I really hope you won't try to apply it to wounds, you get out some caramel.

"Thank you, Jackson. Tthat's very astute of you.

It looks to me like sailing close to the beached ship, but away from the shore, is our safest option, as it will keep us away from the ballistae most effectively. Boarders might be a problem though. Or fire ...

I suggest we sail quickly past, under the range of the beached ship's ballistae, and prepare to repel attacks. Someone man the cannons! I'll take the wheel, Octavius, thank you. Devon, assist me with the sailing, but keep a hand on that cannon of yours. Everyone who has weaponry, prepare to fight! Cat! Where is That bloody Cat? Cat! Come prepare for unfriendly guests!"

My vote currently is to sail near enough the beached ship to avoid her ballistae, and simply attempt to speed through, while avoiding sandbars and the like.

Edit: I'll grab a crossbow from the pile Devan brings up, and a quiver. If  Iam able, I'll load the crossbow, but not cock it yet.

Undaunted by the huge and menacing pirate vessel, you sail as fast as possible, skirting the sandbanks and heading almost directly towards the beached ship. I'll assume Arc has the wheel.

Seamanship: 5

Skillfully evading the ballistae fire as the scurrying figures onboard realise that the Gareth has no intention of stopping, Captain Desmond gets past its range with ease. The terrifying shapes of Piratical Bureaucrats, however, are another matter. Running along the sandbank to meet the Gareth, rag-clothed figures toss boarding grapples composed of staplers at the sides of the Gareth, their dark and bloodstained cloaks momentarily swirling aside to reveal heavy but flexible armour crafted from the spines of officer binders. The successful start to pull themselves along, eight hooks or spikes with ropes attached becoming unreachably or unmoveably stuck in the rigging or side. Other dark-robed pirates kneel along the sandbank and island shore, taking up firing positions with odd but intimidating crossbows.

Worst of all, the huge wrecked ship begins to grindingly move into the water. The pirates are using some sort of complex pulley system, but it'll still take a while for something of that size to get off the shore. The ramming spike certainly looks nasty, though.

The Gareth is heading towards the island, entering the first moments of combat. The ship on the island is attempting to get into the water, and a crew of pirates are trying to attack and board.
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:21 pm »

Devan fires a single shot at the nearest ship. He aims near the water-line but not below it, so that water may pour into the hole but the cannonball will not lose momentum. If he succeeds, the ship may very well begin to sink.

"I LOVE ME THE FEELING OF MURDERING SOME VAGABONDS."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »

That Bloody Cat hears this, and decides to investigate further.

That Bloody Cat moves to the location of the voice, temporarily leaving his feast behind.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »

((there's an island? Past it's range, we are heading toward another beached ship? Oh, you mean we got inside it's range, got it. Eight grapples, and a volley of projectiles from the shore. gonna be tough.

Is our speed enough to make it difficult for those who have latched on to hold their lines? I would figure their ropes would jerk out of their hands, thouhg havingi them dragged along behind would be amusing, to say the least.))

"Steady as she goes, mates! Cat! prepare to repel boarders! they're coming now!the finest tuna our destination has to offer if we get out of this alive! Cannon! shoot those pulleys! don't let them launch! Everyone watch for arrows and other projectiles, we got incoming!"

Steady as she goes, Arc Desmond will keep her pointed on course, and do his best to keep the ship steady so the cannon can fire at the stuff the pirates are using to move the ship. He stands tall and proud at teh helm, because there is no sense in dying cowering behind the wheel.

Devan fires a single shot at the nearest ship. He aims near the water-line but not below it, so that water may pour into the hole but the cannonball will not lose momentum. If he succeeds, the ship may very well begin to sink.

I believe we are currently dealing with one ship, which is beached and being put into the water via pulleys. I think it is armored beyond what a hand cannon might affect, but the archers lining the shore are another matter, and might be a better target for you.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »

Check the assorted scraps and pages shoved inside the Schematics Journal, seeking a set of instructions related to the arcane to get us out of this mess.
Something... something... anything...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:50 pm »

Ready my weapon's and get ready to fight if nesscary.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:54 pm »

That Bloody Cat hears this.

That Bloody Cat downright sprints onto the deck.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:51 am »

Shoot those pulleys as directed by the captain!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2016, 04:02:38 am »

((there's an island? Past it's range, we are heading toward another beached ship? Oh, you mean we got inside it's range, got it. Eight grapples, and a volley of projectiles from the shore. gonna be tough.

Is our speed enough to make it difficult for those who have latched on to hold their lines? I would figure their ropes would jerk out of their hands, thouhg havingi them dragged along behind would be amusing, to say the least.))

Yep, it will. But the ropes themselves will trail, and other pirates will be able to catch onto them, if one looses their grip. They're basically trying to pull themselves aboard via the rope right now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:43 am »

(Hey man, allow Devan to over/underestimate his weapon. He's never used it against a ship before, and is excited by the prospect of seeing what it might do.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28