Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 26212 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2016, 02:28:53 pm »

"pirates do bad things to women."
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »

Devan nods thoughtfully.

"True. Maybe you should stay below deck and prepare for healing actions.

Hey, don't look at me like I sprouted two heads. I may be mean, but I'm also practical.
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »

((so, inside the cove are the pirate ships, at the entrance to the cove are the forts, and outside the cove is the beached pirate ship?
We can pass a) far enough away from the beached ship to be exposed to the ballistae of the beached ship, b) close enough to the beached ship to risk more direct attack from that ship or c) closer to shore and risk attack from the forts?
If we stick near the beached ship, how likely is it the other pirate ships will sail out to meet us?
Will the sandbars and such hinder their approach?))
Yes.
Yes, but hedging your bets there in that a) may expose you to weak fire from the forts as well.
You're moving quite fast, but the pirates may pursue, though they'd have to scramble. Being further away may change this, as may sticking around.
No, they're on the other side.

Also, you could sail under the range of the ballistae, i.e. they can't effectively shoot at you when you're too close to the shore. But that would be a high-risk option.
One wheel short of a wagon

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »

Wait we can make a boat out of candy and sneak away!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »

Devan flicks Candygal on the head.

"Stupid. We have cargo to protect, and candy does not float. Nor does it bind properly."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »

"candy does float actually and it's easy to bind as long as you do candy canes and hard stuff I'm the candy expert here."

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

Do we have any sort of explosive shot for the safety cannons? The quartermaster could block the shore with the candy from her bag, and we'll fire at the boarders.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2016, 07:00:29 pm »

That Bloody Cat continues eating.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2016, 06:26:18 am »

"Er. Captain Sir. Looks like pirates."

Offer helpful advice!

((Does "Bluff" actually offer me any advantage? Does it mean I can attempt anything, but with a -1 penalty? What is the penalty for other people attempting anything they are not skilled in?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2016, 07:08:02 am »

"Thank you, Jackson. Tthat's very astute of you.

It looks to me like sailing close to the beached ship, but away from the shore, is our safest option, as it will keep us away from the ballistae most effectively. Boarders might be a problem though. Or fire ...

I suggest we sail quickly past, under the range of the beached ship's ballistae, and prepare to repel attacks. Someone man the cannons! I'll take the wheel, Octavius, thank you. Devon, assist me with the sailing, but keep a hand on that cannon of yours. Everyone who has weaponry, prepare to fight! Cat! Where is That bloody Cat? Cat! Come prepare for unfriendly guests!"

My vote currently is to sail near enough the beached ship to avoid her ballistae, and simply attempt to speed through, while avoiding sandbars and the like.

Edit: I'll grab a crossbow from the pile Devan brings up, and a quiver. If  Iam able, I'll load the crossbow, but not cock it yet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:15:37 am by Ozarck »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2016, 07:34:50 am »

Devan retreats to his quarters and returns, holding three small crossbows, two quivers, and a pair of short-swords. He dumps them all on the deck, then sets to calibrating his cannon.

"Get some weapons, fellows, even if you plan not to fight. It may come in handy if we are somehow boarded."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2016, 08:34:56 am »

Candygal grabs a short sword and runs down deck attempting to start a place where wounds can be disinfected and treated.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2016, 08:41:22 am »

Octavius grabs a short sword before heading down to man one of the cannons.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2016, 09:08:07 am »

Grab a crossbow and man a cannon and prepare to look like a non-combatant if anyone comes aboard.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2016, 12:34:21 pm »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats

"Er. Captain Sir. Looks like pirates."

Offer helpful advice!

((Does "Bluff" actually offer me any advantage? Does it mean I can attempt anything, but with a -1 penalty? What is the penalty for other people attempting anything they are not skilled in?))
Yeah, you can try anything with a -1, and beat even a professional at it, with your skill level. It's not always a good plan, failures being much more brutal than in a skill you actually have while overshoots can be disastrous, but other people just won't have that skill. i.e. if you know nothing about medicine, you'll never do better than wrapping a bandage or two round a wound after cleaning it. More than one skill will sometimes work for the same activity, though.

Also, while multiple actions don't actually annoy me, other gms with systems etc will prefer it if you avoid them.

That Bloody Cat continues eating.
the neck is a little stringy, but full of flavour.

Devan retreats to his quarters and returns, holding three small crossbows, two quivers, and a pair of short-swords. He dumps them all on the deck, then sets to calibrating his cannon.

"Get some weapons, fellows, even if you plan not to fight. It may come in handy if we are somehow boarded."
Hmm. While a weapons officer and blacksmith, even one with a criminal record, could concieveably have all those, I don't actually remember hearing about them before. So inventory rolls will be required.

Combat/Inventory: 1 (skill level) x 4. So a crossbow and a sword.

Grab a crossbow and man a cannon and prepare to look like a non-combatant if anyone comes aboard.

Seizing: 1

You trip over yourself, watch as the weapons are taken away by other people, then dejectedly start loading one of the safety cannons.

Octavius grabs a short sword before heading down to man one of the cannons.
Seizing:4

You get the short sword, and load the other safety cannon.

Candygal grabs a short sword and runs down deck attempting to start a place where wounds can be disinfected and treated.
Seizing: 1

You miss the pile, grab hold of a net, tangle yourself up in it, escape, and begin trying to set up an infirmary/field hospital.

Book-learning: 3

You set up a table, spread a little bedding over it, purify a bit of brine for disinfectant by running it through some cloth. Not ideal.

"Thank you, Jackson. Tthat's very astute of you.

It looks to me like sailing close to the beached ship, but away from the shore, is our safest option, as it will keep us away from the ballistae most effectively. Boarders might be a problem though. Or fire ...

I suggest we sail quickly past, under the range of the beached ship's ballistae, and prepare to repel attacks. Someone man the cannons! I'll take the wheel, Octavius, thank you. Devon, assist me with the sailing, but keep a hand on that cannon of yours. Everyone who has weaponry, prepare to fight! Cat! Where is That bloody Cat? Cat! Come prepare for unfriendly guests!"

My vote currently is to sail near enough the beached ship to avoid her ballistae, and simply attempt to speed through, while avoiding sandbars and the like.

Edit: I'll grab a crossbow from the pile Devan brings up, and a quiver. If  Iam able, I'll load the crossbow, but not cock it yet.

Seizing: 5

You casually take hold of a crossbow and quiver, loading it.

So is that the plan? Not everyone has to agree, but I'm just checking there's some other support for it.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28