Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PSA: Do NOT decompile the DF executable under any circumstances  (Read 5006 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction

BPFA's fans have probably been wondering where I am for the last few months. Well, I didn't want to advertise the fact but a fellow DF player I know offline roped me in as a playtester for "OpenDF". What I didn't know at the time was that their "free and open source clone" was using quite large chunks of the original source code.

There's no point breaking out the torches and pitchforks though. The code was... booby-trapped.

I'm typing this on my laptop in a cupboard in the Hackspace where we were working. The door's barricaded and the police and paramedics are on their way; I hope I can hold out long enough.

I don't know how he did it, and I don't ever want to know; I'm not good enough at maths to understand the details. But something in the code... Oh Armok help me I can't believe I'm typing this... It did things to them. One of the coders started talking in a weird language I've never heard before, and bleeding from his eyes. His eyes... There were... Things, inside them. Like little worms. The other one just... froze in place. I didn't stay long enough to see if he was breathing because the other one tried to grab me. I had to hit him with a fire extinguisher or he'd have gone for my throat! Someone else came in, a night-shift cleaner I think, and she looked at the code and it started happening to her too; I didn't feel like hanging around to see what happened next, but I could hear the screaming.

I think I know a little bit about what happened. There are lots of odd rumours out there about certain shapes and patterns that do something to the human mind. You've probably heard of Snow Crash, or a David Langford short story called BLIT. Well, apparently there's a grain of truth in it. Only catatonia, cardiac arrest or destroying your target's ability to comprehend language are not the worst thing you can do to someone's brain, it seems. And guess what Toady One has his doctorate in? Maybe that's why he quit academia to make videogames; either he was scared of what he'd realised he could do or it was drawing attention from the wrong sort of people.

I didn't think you could do it in ASCII art though. Or that he was protective enough of his intellectual property to use memetic weapons as DRM! And he got up in arms about Mermaid Farming...

Hang on, the cavalry are here. I hope I get a job with the Laundry out of this fiasco.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Do NOT decompile the DF executable under any circumstances
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:52:02 pm »

The dwarfs... they mined through the monitor, the copper pick swung so hard it broke the desk shattering the keyboard I fell backwards and couldn't move from the terror that was unfolding. The dwarfs were finally free from their cage, from their endless torment. The next thing I saw come through was the rest of them with a wagon from the whole that somehow existed beyond the destroyed monitor.

As I layed on the ground some of the dwarfs charged me and everything went black only for me to see 7 dwarfs from above in a room with a wagon that very much had the layout of where the my computer once was. What i saw was a corpse on the ground, I go and exam it... I saw my name upon the body. I had died yet I was in control of what the dwarfs could do, I knew what had to be done to make sure these 7 dwarfs would need to survive.

I just hope one doesn't get a mood and make something nuclear.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:19:55 am »

The game tried to warn you, man! It warned you not to dig too deep! That's what you get.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:16:08 am »

Game over man, game over!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 02:25:55 am »

5/7
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:16 pm »

I am a relaxed holiday DF player, I have no idea about coding and I am not kinda a prospector when it comes to the internet and itīs memes.

What is going on???

EDIT: Wait, itīs April Fools day.
EDIT EDIT: But OP posted yesterday... still confused.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:06:03 pm by Sebastian2203 »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:16:58 pm »

But OP posted yesterday... still confused.
It was the early hours of April 1st when I hit the button. I'm on British Summer Time here.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »

It's official: Dwarf Fortress is an SCP. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:59 pm »

It's official: Dwarf Fortress is an SCP. :V
Special Containment Procedures

SCP-.42.06 is be kept in 5x5x5 room made out of ☼Elf Bone☼ and ☼Adamantine socks☼ in Site ██. This room is to be protected by MTF Delta 98 "The Inevitable" at all times. Any and all attempts to breach SCP-.42.06 is to be met with lethal force. In the event of a containment breach the use of magma is authorized and suggested. If this fails MTF Alpha 56 "The Clown Car" is to be deployed with orders to exterminate all nearby forms of life.

Shit- O5-1
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »

You're forgetting the on-site Thermonuclear Catsplosion Device.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Gio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »

..and I read this post after binge-watching the old TV show Fringe, and the episode No-Brainer was quite fresh in my mind.

(Hypnotic images and sounds followed by victims' brains liquifying. Fun!)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:53 pm »

You're forgetting the on-site Thermonuclear Catsplosion Device.

man that shit's so dumb, why would the foundation not have their thermonuclear devices in a remote location for rocketing around

that's why when scp-447-2 gets on dead bodies in the SCP mod, it just says "site termination authorized" and games you over

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:56 pm »

<3 this thread.

DF is a Keter,  the circus is Thaumiel, and the cracked code contains Lovecraftian horrors.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:59:30 pm by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:56:32 pm »

Speaking of April Fool's, wasn't there a thread that's supposed to be necro'ed at that time every year? Maybe it was a different day. Can't seem to find it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

I haz no No Names

• Bay Watcher
  • *Former*BS12 Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 02:42:30 am »

Did you try a secure VM @ OP? I'll try it now.

沉舟侧畔千帆过,病树前头万木春。
-A sunken ship has had over a thousand (many) sails go past it, a sick (dead) tree has thousands of trees blossoming in front of it.
Pages: [1] 2