Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151248 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1500 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:49 am »

Yep. Now time to look up the rules that govern how to trigger an actual leadership election in Labour (oddly the confidence vote isn't enough...). Watch for the whips resigning.

Ah, they simply need a challenger with 20% of the PLP backing them. I believe the magic number is still the 35 who backed Corbyn. Whoops, 51 MPs and MEPs. May be difficult with the way the party is fractured.

Late edit: Corbyn would also require 51 to appear on the ballot. Labour List are reporting only 40 MPs voted for him in the confidence vote, with the other 4 reported elsewhere actually abstaining. That would mean he needs at least 11 Labour MEPs (out of 20) or to swing some of those MPs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:53:04 am by palsch »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:28 am »

Nobody builds starter homes in cities because you don't make a two hundred thousand dollar property out of a three hundred thousand dollar land parcel. Affordable housing exists. You are talking about premium location without premium pricing.

It's like the bitching that hotel rooms near the convention are five hundred a night.  That's supply and demand. Look at motels on the outskirts of Philly and they cost 80.

Don't blame migrants for supply and demand.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:43:48 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 28, 2016, 10:42:46 am »

Maniac's right. We have to nationalize the banks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:52 am »

We missed the window on that. But just vite trump and we will get another chance in 10 to 20
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 28, 2016, 10:45:21 am »

Nobody builds starter homes in cities because you don't make a two hundred thousand dollar property out of a three hundred thousand dollar land parcel. Affordable housing exists. You are talking about premium location without premium pricing.

Don't blame migrants for supply and demand.

I'm not blaming them for anything, I'm pointing out that this surplus housing you're saying we should give them is not going to be housing they can afford. Or it's going to be in Bumfuck, Wyoming where there are no support services, no jobs, and a local population more than a little hostile to a wave of immigrants.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 28, 2016, 10:46:32 am »

I think the refugees would prefer bumfuck USA to Jordan.  And put them in bumfuck and pretty soon many will work their way up.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

Because then they'd have to negotiate their accession to the EU - it's not a quick process, and all the fun concessions UK got over the years would be off the table. AFAIK one of the arguments for Scotland not leaving the UK was that it meant staying in the EU.

The argument in the first independence campaign was that they could get grandfathered in under the UK's membership and conditions. That was largely decried by other European nations.

If the UK was leaving however you could arguably have Scotland and Northern Ireland remain while England and Wales leave the UK. That way the United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern Ireland retains its seat at the EU.

Of course that opens up the question lawyers have been avoiding for years now; what is the correct collective term for England and Wales outside the UK? Scotland and Northern Ireland have greater autonomy so much law only applies to England and Wales, but that law is commonly referred to as "English".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 28, 2016, 10:51:11 am »

I think the refugees would prefer bumfuck USA to Jordan.  And put them in bumfuck and pretty soon many will work their way up.
Ah, there used to be a Leftist poster like that here:

Anti-immigrant person: The boat is full!
Leftist person: Have you ever been to Mecklenburg-Vorpommern?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 28, 2016, 10:53:18 am »

Ok, Horatio Alger.

EDIT: And no, I'm not looking to pick a fight. I just think you're being far too optimistic, and don't see a need to continue it further.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:35:07 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:58 am »

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern?
how in the fuck do you pronounce two m's next to each other, what is this daemon magic
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 28, 2016, 10:57:16 am »

Actually, it's pretty common.
One wheel short of a wagon

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 28, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

The Momentum group, formed out of those who supported Corbyn's original run for leader, are seeing a surge in membership alongside a petition of support for Corbyn. Earlier a Labour MP called for the group to be banned, believing it was threatening to drag Labour to the left and make them unviable as a party, in part by running deselection campaigns against moderate/centrist Labour MPs. A poll suggests the group does support such action against those opposing Corbyn, although it is outside their official stance.

If Corbyn doesn't appear on the leadership ballot there could be big trouble on the hard left.

Meanwhile Johnson says he won't call a general election if he wins the Conservative leadership (and PM office) and that he will outline his vision of a Brexit during his campaign based on the mandate from the referendum.

This is after an aide apparently said his proposals the other day came while tired and don't represent an actual proposal. Which makes me really confident in his negotiating abilities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:02:08 am by palsch »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 28, 2016, 10:58:54 am »

I like how the list of problem is just growing taller. Sure, we can solve migration easy, just confiscate empty houses, nationalize banks to cover their losses and finance it all with tax money.

Oh hear this we can solve also the job shortage: have them unscrew bolts from bridges for money and hire native from the construction sector to fix them! win-win!

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern?
how in the fuck do you pronounce two m's next to each other, what is this daemon magic

never met an Emmanuel? o_O

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 28, 2016, 11:06:07 am »

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern?

never met an Emmanuel? o_O
Begone devil worshiper!
No Gods, No Masters.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:10 am »

Yep. Now time to look up the rules that govern how to trigger an actual leadership election in Labour (oddly the confidence vote isn't enough...). Watch for the whips resigning.

Ah, they simply need a challenger with 20% of the PLP backing them. I believe the magic number is still the 35 who backed Corbyn. Whoops, 51 MPs and MEPs. May be difficult with the way the party is fractured.

Late edit: Corbyn would also require 51 to appear on the ballot. Labour List are reporting only 40 MPs voted for him in the confidence vote, with the other 4 reported elsewhere actually abstaining. That would mean he needs at least 11 Labour MEPs (out of 20) or to swing some of those MPs.
It gets worse.

There is conflicting legal advice over whether Corbyn needs the nomination from MPs to be on the ballot. If he is on he will likely win among the general membership (still has the strong backing from Momentum and the unions), and whether or not he is may well be the result of a court case. That could make the fight even more bitter.

The Lib Dems and Greens should be recruiting a lot of new members and possibly an MP or two from this.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 107