Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

IF YOU COULD VOTE TO LEAVE OR REMAIN WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION AS A SUBJECT OF HRH (PBUH) WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN THE UK OR CITIZENSHIP ABROAD, HOW WOULD YOU VOTE?

FUCK YES LET'S LEAVE GET HYPE YEY
Casual yes, let's leave and get independence done with
Meh, probably just scribble all over my vote ballot to spite tryhards
Casual no, let's remain and get integration done with
FUCK NO LET'S REMAIN GET CALM YEY

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 107

Author Topic: Breeki British Brexit thread  (Read 151254 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Breeki British Brexit thread
« Reply #1470 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:02 am »

The gravy train keeps chukking.

By the way, not sure if I have put these two next to each other before:

Quote from: date: 26th June 2016
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1344473/nigel-farage-rubbishes-calls-for-a-second-eu-referendum-as-petition-calling-for-one-gets-3m-signatures/
NIGEL Farage has rubbished calls for a second EU referendum, saying “it’s not the best of three”.
It comes after more than three million people signed a petition for a second referendum on Britain’s EU membership.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683440/farage-blast-second-referendum-david-lammy-brexit
NIGEL Farage has said the European Union referendum result is “not a game of the best of three” after a Labour MP backed a petition calling for a second referendum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Compare and contrast to:
Quote from:  16 MAY 2016
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017
The Ukip leader speaks to the Mirror’s Associate Editor Kevin Maguire and warns that a '52-48 result would be unfinished business'
Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

Man, the leave campaign sure has quality leadership going for it.

Like this inspirational bloke:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/christiane-amanpour-brexit-dan-hannan_us_5771d11be4b017b379f7258c
A leader of the U.K. Brexit campaign on Monday denied promoting the “leave” vote as a way to stem immigration and said the referendum outcome has nothing to do with a reported surge in incidences of racism.

Dan Hannan, a Conservative member of European Parliament, told CNN International host Christiane Amanpour that he “never, ever said” voting for Brexit would halt immigration. Shortly after the vote, he told the BBC that those who wanted Brexit to stop immigration would be “disappointed.”

Hannan also scoffed at statistics that Amanpour said show a 57 percent increase in racist incidents since the Brexit vote.

“Are you concerned about some of the post-Brexit hate crimes?” Amanpour asked.

“Oh, come on,” Hannan replied. “That’s our fault? That is an outrageous question. ... What you are suggesting is that there is a connection between people who voted in our democracy and some of these incidences.”

At least, at the very least, the fishermen can look forward to seeing their situation fixed and overturning the problems with the current arrangement. So at least one touchstone issue of the leave campaign will be fulf-
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/28/british-fishermen-warned-brexit-will-not-mean-greater-catches
Fisheries chiefs and campaigners say current catch quotas will continue until the UK leaves the EU, and new arrangements may not be more generous

Anyways, on to other news:

BBC: Brexit vote: Bitter exchanges as EU parliament debates Brexit

There have been bitter exchanges in the European parliament during a debate on the UK's vote to leave the EU.

Anyway... folks that were paying more attention to the lead up. Any of you lot know of/would be able to give a summary of what the leave campaign promised as part of its go at things? Stuff like that NHS money, et al. Watching the shake out of this stuff and the leave politicians' reactions is making me wonder just how much of their campaign they've backpeddled on in the last few days, and it'd be nice to have a clearer picture of what it all was. Apparently they've backed on the NHS funding, they've backed on there being much change to immigration, some have backed on there being much change regarding general regulation, and I've just now noticed they're apparently backing on the assurances vis a vis the fishery management, too. It's getting kinda' farcical, really...

There is this:
Reality Check: Have Leave campaigners changed their tune?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:45:08 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:18 am »

Anyway... folks that were paying more attention to the lead up. Any of you lot know of/would be able to give a summary of what the leave campaign promised as part of its go at things?
The only thing that stood up to any cursory inspection was "We'll no longer be in the EU".

There were promises/hints that the £350m/week (that wasn't) would be spent to vastly improve upon on the NHS (already on £116bn/year, so the proportion of >£2bn/week that would have been was laughable), and pretty much every other promise regarding that money goes the same way.

There were promises that we could stop immigration, and free movement within the EU would have been cut, but most people were worried about non-EU migrants getting to the UK, which is no easier or harder with us out of the EU, as we weren't exactly building bridges for them and our vulnerability to illegal immigration is certainly no less, right now (and we'll probably lose official access to the Europe-wide police databases).

Something something something something TTIP.  But then we somehow have to negotiate a better deal with the US as a small country. And with Europe

We'll be free from EU regulations (marvelous news for all our olive-growers!), except such regulations that Europe insists we still subscribe to or have worse trade relations than Canada.  "Take Back Control" was next to "Democratic Deficit" as the oft-spouted meaningless phrases used by certain militant individuals.

There were all those unrepresentative beaurocrats nobody likes (everybody loves all our elected officials, of course!) except that there aren't actually that many of them, in comparison to the Civil Service, and as 1/28th of the EU we actually had a significant amount of influence, moreso than proportionally we should have, and now I refer you to the previous paragraph.

There's now no danger of us joining the euro (but almost guaranteed that it'd be one of the prices we'd be forced to pay if we wanted back in) and time alone will tell how the Pound will fare against non-euro currencies in the medium to long term.

... I'm sure there was something else, but nothing that I personally rated.  Not that Remain had much on their side other than 'Business as usual", either.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 28, 2016, 08:51:27 am »

God forbid we call anyone closeminded. It would just be rewriting society to let in immigrants. Sure our jobs and homes would be virtually unchanged and we would probably be wealthier but somehow it is rewriting society.
How fucking exactly do we manage all this without changing anything? No seriously, what the bloody fuck is your magic bullet to apparently make people wealthier and more accepting of others while not undergoing enormous societal change? Cuz y'know there are QUITE A FEW GOVERNMENTS that could sorely use your advice Mr. HasAllTheAnswers
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:03 am »

Guys. Consult your doctor or pharmacist on the recommended Chill Pill dosage.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:36 am »

At least, at the very least, the fishermen can look forward to seeing their situation fixed and overturning the problems with the current arrangement. So at least one touchstone issue of the leave campaign will be fulf-
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/28/british-fishermen-warned-brexit-will-not-mean-greater-catches
Fisheries chiefs and campaigners say current catch quotas will continue until the UK leaves the EU, and new arrangements may not be more generous

...shocking.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: June 28, 2016, 08:59:32 am »

Sorry, just can't help but imagine mainiac as having a smug grin with everything he writes. I probably do the same thing but fuck.

I'm a bit irritated at him because all his arguments I've seen so far seem to go like that South Park sketch.
Y'know the:
Step 1: Let Immigrants in
Step 2: Give them everything they want
Step 3:  ???
Step 4: Profit

So I would just really like him to explain what the hell step 3 is already.

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 28, 2016, 09:01:01 am »

It's funny you mention that because that seems to be the exact approach of the Leave campaign wrt exiting the EU

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 28, 2016, 09:01:30 am »

Small update on those lovely little events happening that are, of course, in no possible way related to the vote result.
Post EU Referendum Racism Documented Online And It’s Really Scary
It has a lot of stuff already mentioned in the older articles, but also some new things, such as "Neo-nazi stickers have gone up all around the Clyde and Glasgow Green in the last few days."

Oh, and just in case any treehuggers among us (which includes me, by the way) thought they'd be spared the wonderful consequences of a brexit:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/28/leave-vote-makes-uks-transition-to-clean-energy-harder-say-experts

Analysts say Brexit will create uncertainty for energy sector, which could hit £20bn investment a year needed to replace ageing, dirty power plants

The UK’s challenge to build a clean, secure and affordable energy system has become significantly harder amid the political and economic turmoil following the nation’s vote to leave the European Union.
Higher customer bills and delayed or cancelled projects are expected by experts, the most pessimistic of whom warn of the lights going out. The optimists argue that the global rush towards clean energy and strong domestic UK climate change targets can keep the transition to clean, green energy moving forward.

However, the leading Brexiters, such as climate change doubter and likely next prime minister Boris Johnson, will play a critical role. If the deal they negotiate with the EU means close ties - and crucially access, like Norway, to Europe’s internal energy market (IEM) - the long-term dent to the UK’s energy prospects may be reduced. But a more decisive break with the world’s biggest single market would leave the UK out in the cold.
More info here also: http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/2016/06/27/the-impact-of-brexit-on-clean-energy/

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 28, 2016, 09:02:51 am »

Crab enters the Tory leadership race.

So that is Johnson, May and Crab officially in, Hunt looking likely.

The Conservative leadership election involves several rounds of voting by the Parliamentary Party (elected Conservative MPs), eliminating the candidate with the lowest votes until there are only two remaining, who are then put up in a straight up election of the general party members.

With regards the leave arguments, they were very careful. They rarely made promises, only suggestions. So they didn't say the money would go to the NHS, only that it could go to the NHS. They didn't say they would cut immigration, only that the EU stopped us blocking migration. These combined with half-truths and tactical lies were probably the deciding factor.

The best tactical lie was the £350 million, because trying to say our actual payments are only £250 million is still arguing their point, that we are sending $BigNumber cash to the EU rather than keeping it here.

Also the worse propaganda about immigration came from outside the official Leave campaign, such as Farage's queue poster. The Leave campaign did call out the tactic, distancing themselves from it but not actually saying the underlying message was wrong.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:57 am »

I can't be the only one who now wants that one in the lower left to be the new flag for gay awareness can I? :P

Indeed, I do this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 28, 2016, 09:12:54 am »

Sorry, just can't help but imagine mainiac as having a smug grin with everything he writes. I probably do the same thing but fuck.

I'm a bit irritated at him because all his arguments I've seen so far seem to go like that South Park sketch.
Y'know the:

Maybe go back to Step 2 and rephrase it in a way that isn't complete garbage first.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 28, 2016, 09:14:26 am »

I can't be the only one who now wants that one in the lower left to be the new flag for gay awareness can I? :P
I was mostly thinking that someone must have had fun designing the basic glyph...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 28, 2016, 09:16:34 am »

I was mostly thinking that someone must have had fun designing the basic glyph...
And presumably a lot of research materials...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:51 am »

Y'know the:

Maybe go back to Step 2 and rephrase it in a way that isn't complete garbage first.
It's not complete garbage by any means! Most migrants want nothing but a job and a place to live, and those are exactly the things that Americans (and Europeans, in similar instances) don't want them to have.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:22 am »

They don't want them to have a job that could do to a domestic-both citizen. Which is fair enough, but people underestimate the economy's ability to grow to fit the available resources. Education's needed for that, of course, but getting the immigrants kind by having them help build the infrastructure needed to integrate effectively seems like a self-solving problem. There might be the issue of funds, but when has that not been an issue, and also tax the rich.

None of the easy fixes will ever be taken, of course. Neither will direct intervention in Syria (cuz the current plan has worked out so well, ya know). That would be too easy, and nobody would stand to politically profit from it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 107