Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories [Remake] (dead)  (Read 10959 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories [Remake]
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »

The snakes name is Kaze i think I'll have him be pretty chill i I'll have Karin be friendly and sickly maybe but yeah the back story is kinda Karin died and was brought back to life by Kaze.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 05:51:41 pm »

That's considerably better, yes. I can definitely see how a power like that might work in the Veil, since nightfall and the stars colors a lot of thoughts and memories differently than sunlight. You'd probably get bonuses to checking for information in the Veil if it somehow relates to the night -- assuming your beginning ability roll actually works out for you.

Adding in a character of your own to support your backstory also works out fine, as that gives me quite a bit to work with, particularly with what you've got in mind. So yeah, this interests me. ^^

Looking forward to it. ^^

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »

to GM: Um, you listed a ranged, instant, dismissable, controlled, illusion (in an illusion-boosted environment) ability that doesn't leave telltales of it's use on the target nor the user and that can be applied to any target, as a "weaker variant" of a touch-range, non-dismissable, always-on, always-self-target-as-one-of-the-two-targets, slow-acting body-swap ability? how does that even...

whatever, you said I was being to specific. I can do less specific. not sure how it was even close to as strong as what you listed, let alone stronger (that illusion ability would be hella strong). But less specific is easy. I just have to cut off words and retitle to avoid misinterpretations. 1 moment.

EDIT: done.

EDIT2: wait a sec, I just re-read your statement, and it seems like you were assuming it was a fully controlled ability that would be able to operate in segments, whereas I designed it as an always-on passive and uncontrolled ability. I think i'll put it back where it was, just struck through...

First draft complete, ready for GM review.
The ability synergy
Um, how? she has to touch to activate. your ability makes you untouchable. they're incompatible.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:07:22 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 06:44:05 pm »

Um, you listed a ranged, instant, dismissable, controlled, illusion (in an illusion-boosted environment) ability that doesn't leave telltales of it's use on the target nor the user and that can be applied to any target, as a "weaker variant" of a touch-range, non-dismissable, always-on, always-self-target-as-one-of-the-two-targets, slow-acting body-swap ability? how does that even...

whatever, you said I was being to specific. I can do less specific. not sure how it was even close to as strong as what you listed, let alone stronger (that illusion ability would be hella strong). But less specific is easy. I just have to cut off words and retitle to avoid misinterpretations. 1 moment.

The ability synergy
Um, how? she has to touch to activate. your ability makes you untouchable. they're incompatible.
Incompatible?! Pish posh! My ability is an effect of my body. If you traded bodies with me, I would no longer be able to become intangible. Whether the intangibility forfeits touch isn't known, but you'd be at least have access to my powers while switched. I'm still able to feel objects, so who knows? Maybe it could work. Worst case scenario is you phase through a wall or object in my body and swap to another body afterwards.

The possibilities are... well, not endless, but great!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »

Um, you listed a ranged, instant, dismissable, controlled, illusion (in an illusion-boosted environment) ability that doesn't leave telltales of it's use on the target nor the user and that can be applied to any target, as a "weaker variant" of a touch-range, non-dismissable, always-on, always-self-target-as-one-of-the-two-targets, slow-acting body-swap ability? how does that even...

The ability synergy
Incompatible?! Pish posh! My ability is an effect of my body. If you traded bodies with me, I would no longer be able to become intangible. Whether the intangibility forfeits touch isn't known, but you'd be at least have access to my powers while switched. I'm still able to feel objects, so who knows? Maybe it could work. Worst case scenario is you phase through a wall or object in my body and swap to another body afterwards.

((Um, might want to re-read the ability from where Xvar quoted it. none of what you listed would work.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 06:53:31 pm »

Uuuuummm... summon a ghastly knight... well, I guess I could have you at least see something like that in bits and flashes in your mind and eventually learn how to control it

I don't know if you meant this as an offer but if I get in I'd like to take you up on it, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 06:55:22 pm »

The ability synergy

((Um, might want to re-read the ability from where Xvar quoted it. none of what you listed would work.))
((How is that not synergistic? I mean, what it was changed to is clearly not, but I didn't quote it after he changed it...))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 06:58:22 pm »

The ability synergy

((How is that not synergistic? I mean, what it was changed to is clearly not, but I didn't quote it after he changed it...))
((It would copy the form of the target, not actually possess them and force them into her body. meaning if she copied while you were corporeal, she would not have the ability to become incorporeal. and if she did become corporeal inside a wall, she would not be able to use her ability to get out of the wall.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 07:10:07 pm »

((It would copy the form of the target, not actually possess them and force them into her body. meaning if she copied while you were corporeal, she would not have the ability to become incorporeal. and if she did become corporeal inside a wall, she would not be able to use her ability to get out of the wall.))
((I see the misunderstanding here. Swapping forms was meant to be more transformative rather than, you know, exchanging forms. My mistake then.

I also do not have the ability to get out of walls after becoming corporeal inside one. Mostly because I'd probably be dead from the whole ordeal. Although I've never tested it, it seems like something I wouldn't want to try.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 07:13:48 pm »

((I see the misunderstanding here. Swapping forms was meant to be more transformative rather than, you know, exchanging forms. My mistake then.

I also do not have the ability to get out of walls after becoming corporeal inside one. Mostly because I'd probably be dead from the whole ordeal. Although I've never tested it, it seems like something I wouldn't want to try.))
((it's a classic to test it with a fingernail or some hair.))

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:15 pm »

((I wonder what would happen if you recorporealized inside a sandstorm, or with autumn leaves falling through and around you. Or an insect flying through the space soon to be occupied by your head. They'd all be pretty bad.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:51 pm »

((it's a classic to test it with a fingernail or some hair.))
((I can't control parts of my body like that! I would've tried already. I can only consciously control my intangibility from my left hand toward my body. To get a piece of hair would require becoming intangible and moving a piece of hair into a setup of some sort. And to make sure I didn't fall through the floor or something. Maybe I could test it with some hair on my arm or something, but I'd have to be careful not to miss.))

((I wonder what would happen if you recorporealized inside a sandstorm, or with autumn leaves falling through and around you. Or an insect flying through the space soon to be occupied by your head. They'd all be pretty bad.))
Also potentially bad. So far, this hasn't come up.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:51 pm »

((Try recorporealizing in space occupied by air. same problem occurs. and you can't even say that the air is displaced to the nearest space it can. what do you think happens if you get air bubbles in your blood? or in your lung cavity outside the lungs themselves?))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »

Name: Ophelia T. Darcy
Race: Human
Appearance: Darcy has dark hair greying at the temples, and black skin with vibrant bruises caused by her alchemical experiments. Not that you'd know that from meeting her - she's been dressed like a plague doctor since the fog rolled in, her justifications a rambling lecture on miasma and plague. A stench of chemicals surrounds her and places she's visited for an extended period.
Occupation: Town Doctor. Darcy also has a sideline in recreational herbs and spices.
Starting position: The cemetery would be appropriate; perhaps she doesn't even live there, but has the most exciting idea for an experiment that requires... Particular resources that a graveyard could supply. If you include AbstractTraitorHero's character, Darcy could  be the mortician who discovers her/him/their eerie resurrection. If this is all a little much, a house/clinic in the centre of town would make sense.
Primary power/ability: Alchemy: Before she awoke, Darcy was little more than a half-mad quack with a tendency for self-medication. But the Veil granted her the memories of the scholars and sorcerors who plunged the depths of natural philosophy, uncovering secrets no mortal should touch. She can create soothing medicine, diabolical plague, miraculous metals, and all sorts of strange chemicals beyond the bounds of human conception. From there she can use them in potions, apply them to weapons, or create grenades with them. Of course, the risk of violent illness or massive explosions hangs over this power like a Sword of Damocles.

Is this alright?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:24:36 pm by Fniff »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:01 pm »

((Try recorporealizing in space occupied by air. same problem occurs. and you can't even say that the air is displaced to the nearest space it can. what do you think happens if you get air bubbles in your blood? or in your lung cavity outside the lungs themselves?))
((No clue! I suppose my character would never have thought about something like that. It's been a fairly recent development, though, so maybe that could be a question to investigate. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I'm slowly enveloping microbes, bacteria, and other particles inside me that my skin would normally be stopping, but no longer am because of how my character becomes intangible. I'd hope there's some necessary secondary power that stops that... Or maybe he shouldn't try to do it that often anyway. I'm not against powers that slowly and horribly kill me when used.))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6