Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Veil of Memories [Remake] (dead)  (Read 10948 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Veil of Memories [Remake]
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 08:11:27 pm »

((I wonder what would happen if you recorporealized inside a sandstorm, or with autumn leaves falling through and around you. Or an insect flying through the space soon to be occupied by your head. They'd all be pretty bad.))
((Try recorporealizing in space occupied by air. same problem occurs. and you can't even say that the air is displaced to the nearest space it can. what do you think happens if you get air bubbles in your blood? or in your lung cavity outside the lungs themselves?))

It could displace the matter a certain distance from the person, it would make a pop when you recorporealized in air but other than that you'd be fine. If that distance was zero it would make a small outward wind as the displaced air disperses outward. Either way you'd be fine.

You could just say that their is a limit to the density of material it could displace rendering it impossible to recorporealize in some materials like stone.

Of course that would break physics laws because you have information (the physical information of the displaced material) being transmitted faster than light, then you could say that an unknown force is applied to the air to push away ahead of time until it is a certain distance from the body (again the distance could be zero) creating a vacuum to be filled by the recorporealizing body.

What the hell does recorporealizing mean anyway?
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 08:16:28 pm »

to GM: Um, you listed a ranged, instant, dismissable, controlled, illusion (in an illusion-boosted environment) ability that doesn't leave telltales of it's use on the target nor the user and that can be applied to any target, as a "weaker variant" of a touch-range, non-dismissable, always-on, always-self-target-as-one-of-the-two-targets, slow-acting body-swap ability? how does that even...
You're assuming a lot, here. Read it again:
Swap Forms: At will, you may "copy" the likeness of a person or creature by focusing intently on them for a turn, and then "paste" that likeness onto yourself or someone/something else. Sustained physical contact with the subject confers a +1 bonus to your "copy" roll. "Pasting" manifests itself as an illusion in the eyes of whoever beholds your target, who normally cannot tell the true likeness on a mere passing glance.
I said nothing about it being instant. You'd have to spend a turn copying someone's likeness, then another to use it. I also said nothing about how long the memory of that likeness would stay fresh in your mind before it degraded to the point where you started getting negatives on your roll and missing important details. Also, I didn't say anything about it being dismissable, or even how long it would last -- if you screwed it up they could be stuck looking like a freak for hours. And 'telltales'? I just said most people couldn't tell the difference at a passing glance. Someone who looks close is bound to see some things that don't add up. Being able to paste a perfect likeness would require a lot of luck.

This also isn't even mentioning that it probably wouldn't work on your target's voice, too, so people could tell that something's up with that (aural sensing is an entirely different league from visual). But if I mentioned all that at once it would be far too specific and give too much away, and all of it might not even matter since I haven't started rolling for these abilities yet.
Let's reserve a spot while I write something up.

EDIT: I hope this will do.

EDIT 2: If you need other races... I'll gladly be a Gnome. I can't think of any other race that would be known for their mechanical engineering, incredible inventiveness and ingenuity, rugged short stature, and tattered clothing. I don't think there is any.

If this is considered too weak, I would prefer weaker over stronger. It's more flavorful to be weak and creative than strong. I'll take an auto-3/4 if allowed.
If this is considered too strong, I am up for negotiation. Much of the ability to control it can be taken away or limited in more ways. The intangibility can have drawbacks, many of which could be fatal or potentially fatal. I'm up for anything. Fair's fair, here. Maybe it's a ticking time bomb. That's up to the dice, I suppose!
A Gnomish watchmaker? Yeah, I'd buy that. ^^  They certainly have a knack for mechanical items, and it's a good way to make an honest living. Me likey!

As for the ability... ... Well, intangibility is pretty big. But also risky, like you mentioned. It would make you near-impossible to handcuff if you got caught, that's for sure, since you could just "ghost" your hands right through them. I actually came up with some pretty damn good ideas for how and why this power of yours would work, so yeah, I don't think I have a problem with this at all. But of course, we'll have to see what RNGesus has to say about it. xD
Name: Ophelia T. Darcy
Race: Human
Appearance: Darcy has dark hair greying at the temples, and black skin with vibrant bruises caused by her alchemical experiments. Not that you'd know that from meeting her - she's been dressed like a plague doctor since the fog rolled in, her justifications a rambling lecture on miasma and plague. A stench of chemicals surrounds her and places she's visited for an extended period.
Occupation: Town Doctor. Darcy also has a sideline in recreational herbs and spices.
Starting position: The cemetery would be appropriate; perhaps she doesn't even live there, but has the most exciting idea for an experiment that requires... Particular resources that a graveyard could supply. If you include AbstractTraitorHero's character, Darcy could  be the mortician who discovers her/him/their eerie resurrection. If this is all a little much, a house/clinic in the centre of town would make sense.
Primary power/ability: Alchemy: Darcy craft wonders with a only mortar and pestle. She can create soothing medicine, diabolical plague, miraculous metals, and all sorts of strange chemicals. From there she can use them in potions, apply them to weapons, or create grenades with them. Of course, the risk of violent illness or massive explosions hangs over this power like a Sword of Damocles.

Is this alright?
Your power's description suggests it doesn't come from the Veil at all; rather, it sounds more like an occupational specialty. Please pick a primary power/ability that the Veil would grant (look back at my original post for help on that). If instead Ophelia knows alchemy to that degree because she absorbed certain memories from the Veil that gave her those skills, then you'd be a bit closer to what I'm looking for.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 08:19:39 pm »

I see. I'll change it to fit, thanks for letting me know!
Edit: Edited the sheet. I realize Darcy's sheet (And probably her dialog) is best read in an overwrought and hammy tone, like an asylum patient in a b-movie adaptation of a Lovecraft story.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:27:03 pm by Fniff »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 08:49:40 pm »

Xvareon: dropping argument, um, is there any issue with the vague-as-hell ability I replaced it with? illusions have jack-all to do with what I had in mind for the character.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 09:36:39 pm »

Xvareon: dropping argument, um, is there any issue with the vague-as-hell ability I replaced it with? illusions have jack-all to do with what I had in mind for the character.
Body-swapping? Well... possession, no problem. I mean, you could easily get into someone's head with the right preparation, though it could leave your real body defenseless. But actual body-swapping, where you essentially switch consciousnesses with your target, you get their body and they get yours? That's... possible, but it's a VERY high-end kind of technique, one I'd expect you to get only after a while of practicing with your abilities. Remember, you 6 players are just starting to realize that you can affect the Veil and use it to gain supernatural powers.

If you want something close to body-swapping, I could let you possess people, but there'd be obvious drawbacks like losing control of your original form for the duration. If none of that is what you had in mind, then I'm sorry. You could conceivably get higher-end techniques like complete body-swapping, but that'll take time and effort.

EDIT:  Also, I just realized that I forgot to tell you guys, the "Adventurers' Guild" I put on the crude Harker's Ford map in my original post is the town's primary tavern and inn/boarding house.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 09:53:22 pm »

Dang, I want to make a sheet for this game (yay, reboot!), but I'm going away. I'll have to make this one quick.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24:34 pm »

Body-swapping? Well... possession, no problem. I mean, you could easily get into someone's head with the right preparation, though it could leave your real body defenseless. But actual body-swapping, where you essentially switch consciousnesses with your target, you get their body and they get yours? That's... possible, but it's a VERY high-end kind of technique, one I'd expect you to get only after a while of practicing with your abilities. Remember, you 6 players are just starting to realize that you can affect the Veil and use it to gain supernatural powers.

If you want something close to body-swapping, I could let you possess people, but there'd be obvious drawbacks like losing control of your original form for the duration. If none of that is what you had in mind, then I'm sorry. You could conceivably get higher-end techniques like complete body-swapping, but that'll take time and effort.

EDIT:  Also, I just realized that I forgot to tell you guys, the "Adventurers' Guild" I put on the crude Harker's Ford map in my original post is the town's primary tavern and inn/boarding house.
I'll start with possession then. editing sheet.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2016, 03:08:52 am »

Done with my first draft. Please let me know what you think.
I may expand on the backstory later, but this looks about right to me.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:18 am »

is my character sheet good? [(look for reply 14 if you can't find it.)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2016, 08:23:44 am »

Right well due to sudden work pressure I won't be able to make a sheet that does justice to the quality of other people's sheets, so please don't wait for my submission, which I'll try to get round to nevertheless.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:28 am »

This is about 99% done. Let me know what you think.

Spoiler: Rachael Mori (click to show/hide)
Not bad! Decent backstory for me to work with, and I can come up with some ways in which her power might work (or not work, depending on the die roll). You say it's '99% done'? Anything else you wanted to add?
Spoiler: Character sheet! (click to show/hide)
So essentially you're a magician and stage performer, who's discovered the ability to turn all those "smoke and mirrors" into real things? I can see some potential there for manifesting useful items or allies, or distracting people. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "at the cost of the Reverse", though -- does something of equal value to what you target turn fake or disappear, sorta like Alchemy in Fullmetal Alchemist? I can make some educated guesses myself, but I'm really curious.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 01:09:32 pm »

So essentially you're a magician and stage performer, who's discovered the ability to turn all those "smoke and mirrors" into real things? I can see some potential there for manifesting useful items or allies, or distracting people. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "at the cost of the Reverse", though -- does something of equal value to what you target turn fake or disappear, sorta like Alchemy in Fullmetal Alchemist? I can make some educated guesses myself, but I'm really curious.
I meant If I make something real, Something else of equal mass or of equal 'Value' is Made Fake, For example if I make Someone's nightmare Real, then Something Equally Deadly may become fake or I may Find my gold coins are now pyrite, the Degree of Falseness Applied Could Possibly be manipulated as well; By Which I mean "Iron Sword > Prop Sword > Illusion of a Sword > To Crude Drawing of a Sword > Nonexistant Sword that people Believe never existed" This Would effect the Realness of the Previously fake thing as well However...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

That power has such hilarious potential.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 04:59:11 am »

Not bad! Decent backstory for me to work with, and I can come up with some ways in which her power might work (or not work, depending on the die roll). You say it's '99% done'? Anything else you wanted to add?

Everything is pretty much complete, I was just thinking that I might expand on the backstory later. Nothing has come to me so far, so I think I'll leave it at that for now. If I need to add some backstory later, I could always do that IC, or if I'm on waitlist, I can do it then.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 05:34:25 am »

Ooooo, old RtD game being brought up and remade :3

Spoiler: Sheet soon! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:53:32 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6