Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 96701 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: The Final Doom of Doomforest: The War Against Hell
« Reply #420 on: June 05, 2016, 12:32:37 pm »

but.. but me?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #421 on: June 05, 2016, 12:34:57 pm »

Thank the gods... You can take a second year if we get that far, I'm running breadbowl for a bit.

A lot of the problem is that BUILDINGDESTORYERS spam the pathfinder. That's why popping the HFS causes framerate death if you don't kill them all *and* leave a path from hell into your fort.

I think TheFlame must have autodumped, we don't have THAT much junk in the fort aside from the corpses I'm adding. About half the pet population is gone, and I'm working on the other half right now. If I don't have hear an objection, I'll autodump when I finish summer which I suspect will put us into the 20 FPS range.

We also need to decide if we want to fix the migrants not coming due to the unit list being full.

Also, Gwolfski is next.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2016, 03:17:02 pm »

I'm pleased to announce Doomforest is now up to 17 FPS, and is officially free from forgotten beasts.

EDIT: Yeah, so, autodump just became a necessity. I didn't' consider by turning the entire supply of animals in sausage, I'd have a lot of meat that there was no way to haul away before it rotted. 9000+ items rotting at once just tanked the framerate so hard, its lagging the UI.

EDIT 2: If I ever butcher 200+ animals again (the fort has 50 left), I'm using a bloody drawbridge. Its cleaner.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:52:49 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:29 pm »

Added the Vets of Deathgate to the list of cults, if you want to request any changes PM me.

I also tried to update the turn list, but I probably missed something, take a look and feel free to correct me, thx

(The conclusion of Ryukan's Journey to be upcoming)
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

OOC: Something went wrong with the images I was taking. This update is image lite. Also as a note, the prime minister is NOT justice immune. I found this out when I convicted him to test his tags, and he got hammered. A save scum was done. I'm not going to revive him *again*

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
1st of Galena 1074 - Late Summer
===

A time of celebration is at hand. I find myself enjoying a rare moment relaxing in the tavern as I look towards hope. Smunstu was kind enough to hand me some wine as I recount the events of summer.

First, as was foretold, the forgotten beasts that plagued the fort have been vanquished. The Knights Templar successfully dispatched the last beast in the cavern with a single clean stroke.

The final beast presented more of a problem however. In earlier battles, it had retreated to the heart of one of the magma pipes. Volunteers who tried to fight it were melted before they could descend deep enough.

Fortunately, we are dwarfs at heart, and a challenge is what we live for. Taking in account careful measurements of the beasts location, a strategically positioned cave-in was engineered, crushing the monster alive under tons of stone.

Now lays our final challenge, the conquest of the gateway. I've already begun devising our method of attack, and preparations are underway as we speak. As such, I've turned myself towards more "domestic" pursuits.

First of which, after the battle, one of the openings to the cavern was not sealed and a crocodile managed to slip into the fortress. It was quickly put down, but not before a child was killed.

With consulting, I was also made aware that several important positions such as the all important hammerer have been left unfulfilled. This was promptly corrected.

The prime minister was also concerned that important military supplies may be leaving Doomforests, and enacted several trade embargos to make sure we don't have a shortfall.

Humans came to trade, but as the new depot had not been constructed when they arrived, their wagons passed onward. Unfortunately, the damage caused by freeing the dwarven cavern means that the trade depot had to be temporary relocated to the side. In a fitting bit of irony, I ordered it constructed from some of the raw adaminite that has long been our bane as a sign to the world that we have reached the holy land.

On that topic, Smunstu noted that we did not have any place for guests to rest. Although I'm loathe to allow outsiders into the fortress, he convinced me that we may be able to bring much needed coin, and perhaps volunteers for our army. Several bedrooms on the main level were re-purposed into guest lodgings. I also denoted two new taverns deeper in the fort so dwarfs may choose to that the true believers may isolate themselves. He also suggested I have some floor space cleared so humans may dance, get drunk, and spend more money, a suggestion I immediately implemented.

In a stroke of genius, I've appointed several of our off duty military who have become haggered due to the long battles to serve as performers and tavern keepers in a way to both allow them to rest, and tell tales of our greatness. I've also had some volunteers to work in the temple:

OOC: Does anyone know WHERE the temple is? I can't find it on the rooms screen. It needs containers

A spirit of blessing has started to enter Doomforests, and many of the warriors have begun to name their weapons in preparation for the final fight.

Two final notes before I close this entry. First, no migrants have come, despite our fortunes.

I determined that this was due to several former overseers listing pets, butchered animals and other wild animals among our dead for several years. I had the counts updated to show only 550 have actually died here. With luck, migrants will come fleeing in through our doors in the near future.

Finally, I've ordered a group prayer to the One True God to help us. With so much meat lying in the fortress for the great feast, unfortunately, some has rotted in such a way that time itself has begun to slow down, making any work we undertake extremely difficult

---
EDIT: Framerate is holding steady at ~20 FPS with a ton of autodumping and updating the traffic designations w/ temp on. I dumped the entirety of the bone bolts since we've got over 10k metal ones.  Woot for playable. That's probably as high as its going to go as long as the HFS is open. Building destroyers wreck framerate which is it steadily went up every time I killed a FB. If I can retake the HFS (or if we decide to mod it), I suspect the framerate will stablize at 30-40.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:19:35 am by NCommander »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I'm taking over hell. I'm gonna do it or die trying!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
1st of Limestone 1074 - Early Autumn
===

As final preparations for the Siege of Hell take place, word of our exploits has quickly spread. Less than a week after the human trade company departed, we got some visitors.

Then some more visitors

Smunstu was quick at work filling their mugs, and telling them of The One True God. As he predicted, gold began flowing into our coffers which will do well once the autumn caravan arrives. For his protection, I've assigned him a war jaguar, and a war bobcat we had otherwise unassigned. He's currently been training them to serve drinks and do tricks, to the entertainment of guests. I must admit to having found the entire enterprise to be rather entertaining.

As he preached, one of the elfs asked me where she could find the mayor. I didn't know why she wanted to speak to Drokles, but I pointed her down the hall to his quarters. About 20 minutes later, Drokles with a look of shock came in, and tapped me and Smunstu on the shoulder, saying we must speak at once. He hurried us off into the storeroom, and locked the door.

"Drokles, what's going on?"

"Nako, that elf, she wants to sign up with our military!"

I blinked. Smunstu just grinned, and fixed his crown.

I managed to stammer out "What?".

"That's why I got you, The Veterans of Deathgate are the current overseers, and you represent them! I mean, we can use the extra firepower, but she's an elf ..."

Smunstu just chuckled.

"You might think of her as 'just an elf', but let me tell you, back in the Dark Tower, when we were lucky enough to liberate one of their offspring, they can be hell on wheels. Elfs are fast, have a grace, and even if they leave the forest, wildlife just ignore them. Perfect scouts, and ambushers, oh the stories I could tell ..."

"Anyway, she says she's heard the stories of the Veterans of Deathgate, and seen the proof of your so called God to find out for herself if you're really up to the legend. She'll follow any order as long as she's allowed to reside here"

I sat on one of the barrels of wine. Smunstu glared at me for touched his favorite booze, but I paid him no head. Drokes wasn't a believer, but he was loyal, and as long at the Veterans of Deathgate didn't harm the fortress, he would follow. I weighed the proposal in my mind.

The disaster in the spider purge had left us short handed. If what Smunstu said was true (and I have no reason to doubt it), then perhaps there was much to be had. Our renovated bar had quickly attracted more attention, and where there is one, there are often more. Still, an elf ....

I made my decision, "Test her."

"Test her?"

"If she's truly given up the ways of the wood, then she would be willing to harm a tree no?"

Smunstu was cackling. "Zulgar, I like the way you think. I grabbed an axe that was lying in the corner and handed it to Drokes.

"Have her fell a tree. If she's willing, I'll grant her request. If not, send her on her way."

He nodded, and left the storeroom. Smunstu turned to me.

"Think she'll do it? Never seen one of the adults turn, but you know, He has a way of influencing your life ..."

I shrugged, "I do not know."

We returned to the bar, and I put the matter out of my mind as Smunstu had "Fluffy" try and balance a tray on her head. An hour later, Drokles and Nako returned. She was holding a log with a strange combination of glee and disgust in her eyes. Drokles just nodded.

"Well, Nako, you passed your initiation. Drokles, find her some quarters, and bring her to  the forges so an armorer may make a set of steel armor in her size. We'll get her into a squad as soon as she's equipped"

He just nodded. Nako bowed towards me.

"Thank you for this opportunity, my liege"

I waved her off.

"I'm no one's liege, I am just a follower of the One True God."

After that, she bowed again, and Drokles lead her into Lower Doomforest.

Smunstu prodded my shoulder. "I dunno about you, but I'd watch that one. She's cute too."

I blinked.

---

After I recovered from the hangover, and Smunstu's lewid comments, I looked over our military. The 'Bulters' had almost been entirely descimated in by the spider. Both of its members were followers of the One True God, so, in honor of our new mission, I have renamed them "The Followers of Deathgate".

I was also somewhat alarmed to find that almost all our archery ranges have either been removed or destroyed. I've ordered new ones installed in a disused section of the fort a few levels below the bar.

I can't help but think we live in interesting times ...

OOC: We've got a conga line going for people who want to sign up for our military. I spotted at least three more that may join up. Since we don't have a baron, they'll go to the mayor who is Drolkes, who will only meet with them if his squad is off duty. Also remember that humans and elves are 'large' creatures, you have to order special armor for them manually at the forges with the details screen.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:16:49 am by NCommander »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Well, we do need a new military!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

The fort is alive
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

20FPS? Good grief! I was getting somewhere between 1 and 4!
I must say, I'm very happy to see this moving again. Though adding more cults to the mix to me feels more than a little ... unnecessary...
Also, 0.42 stuff! That makes a change! I think your dfhack expertise and willingness came at just the right time.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Good names for a tavern in hell? I do know I want the keeper to be an elf named Hellbent

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

The fort is alive

Time to cancel the sequel?

Also, the battle for Hell has began. Its um ... went rather anticlimactically. I've got something of a labor shortage so I'm hoping for a stupid large migrant wave to get things moving again

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I'm taking over hell. I'm gonna do it or die trying!
Good names for a tavern in hell? I do know I want the keeper to be an elf named Hellbent
I swear, if you say one more thing about growing strawberries in hell, i will actually feed you to the giraffes!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Oy! :P

The military is still alive. The demons retreated back into hell when I opened the checkerboard. Guess they realized who was running the place

EDIT: Almost down. 4 more layers of candy, then the masons need to build
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:49:03 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52