Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 96678 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

I, Ryukan, as keeper of the thread, cancel the Apocalypse (for now Imic). I wanna see how long we can hold on to this peace.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

I, Ryukan, as keeper of the thread, cancel the Apocalypse (for now Imic). I wanna see how long we can hold on to this peace.

Neat. Sign me up for round two, and feel free to PM me if the fort dips back into unplayable. Incidently my migrant fix worked. We just got "Some migrants arrived, despite the danger.", 11 in total I think.

I've always wanted to see a fort get "Some migrants have come, knowing it might be their tomb"

EDIT: Demons struck back. 30+ wave just flew up the candy tube.

EDIT 2: so much extract flying. Framerate is at 1 and the game is hanging to process the carrage.

EDIT 3: ... they're spawning IN the tube in midair. We're being overwhelmed. I think Toady beefed the HFS. They're giving birth in the tube and spawning as adults.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:26:44 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

The battle is lost. We've retreated back, and sealed the path behind us. The Veterans of Deathgate will continue. We will remember. We will return.

(Autumn almost done. I've redone the military to rebuild and applied the NC trick book to it), and our picket line is thinning. I nearly got a full squad out of mercs).
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
Mid-Autumn
===

The time has come, we have begun our battle. We know something of demon behavior, and know they'll be attracted to artifact objects and animals. As such, a cave-in trap has been rigged to crush them

The military is scrambled

And the lever is pulled

... only to have all but two demons go back down into hell and leave the map. The remaining one breaks free, and starts trashing the obsidian grates.

The other roams the control room. After some debate, the military is sent in to dispatch the guardskeepers. Unfortunately, they get bogged down fighting on the stairs

An elite marksdwarf is struck down, but not before giving a fight

An Axe Lord arrives, and delivers the final blow.

The last flame banshee remains.

It too is quickly dispatched

The way is now clear, and our miners scramble for the tube to reach the promised land. However, just as our victory seems assured, a forgotten beast arrives.

Our military is nearly 50 levels away, and no one is near the levers to seal the caverns. This could be a disaster. Except ...

A Human Hammerman, who got lost looking for the exit (HOW?) happens to find the beast, buying precious time.

He is slain, but not before injuring the lobster.

A weaponsmith who tried to reach the lever is cut down.

But the beast is injured. The military is only 5 levels away. It might prevent a worse disaster.

Just in time, the military engages and the beast is slain. We will forever have shell for our strange moods!

OOC: Seems I didn't screenshot the final blow

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Mid-Autumn
Log Continues
===

As our miners dig, I get much needed good news.

11 migrants have arrived from the outer lands. Our population ticks up to 124. As long as things continue apiece, we will reach the holy land before the first snow

--

Damnation! We've been ambushed, and in sight of the holy land!

Our solders can't fight effectively as the demons are attacking on the stairs, and refuse to advance when we retreat. Then, a most horrifying development comes up the hatchway.

For every demon engaged in combat, they BREED more! Full formed adults, replenishing their numbers as ours falls. The entire fortress shakes as plums of extract go flying.

The military however stays steadfast.

But the demons continue to reproduce.

The sounds of battle can be heard all throughout Doomforest

With careful ordering, we've managed to move the fighting from the stairwell and into the checkerboard. We're gaining the ground, but each demon we slay, two more replace it if we're not quick.

Nearly half our forces have already been killed, and many more are wounded. The demons momentary retreat, and the decision is made.

"Fallback!. Seal the hatches!"

We have failed ...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

3rd of Moonstone - Early Winter
===

This is not the end. Despite our failure, and the anger the The One True God has, we have felt in our heart that our fated end has been postponed. There is still time to retake the holy land. At first of Spring, the guard will change, and another will lead Doomforests. The Veterans of Deathgate will go into hibernation, but we will leave the seeds for the future.

Already tails of our battle have begun to reach out into the world. Solders have flocked to this place to learn to fight, and part take in the great battles we will see. As of writing, six have already joined us, and many in the bar continue to consider it before petitioning the mayor.

I've prayed and mediated, and we've come up with a solution. We have enacted a full draft. With the exception of woodcutters, miners, and armorers, all shall be drafted, and serve six month training periods every year under our surviving lords, training in groups of two, as guided by visions of a great commander.

We expect to have our first set of lords within 1-2 years, with the rest of the fortress following in 3-4 as long as future overseers maintain it. Even now, our first recruits suit up, and new sets of armor are ordered.

We will not forget. We will continue. The Veterans of Deathgate will continue. Winter is now upon us. We can only sit and wait.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Gwolfski is to be exempted from taking part in combat. Do train him in the use of an axe though,

Sincerely, Gwolfski, Duke of Breadbowl
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Gwolfski is to be exempted from taking part in combat. Do train him in the use of an axe though,

Sincerely, Gwolfski, Duke of Breadbowl

Are you actually supposed to be the duke? I can actually set that correctly if that's what its supposed to be in terms of plot.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I wish  :P

I am the duke over in Breadbowl (another succession fort)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Turn complete, uploading momentarily

Final Update
===

The world has pased into 1075. This composes the final update of the overseer log until the Veterans of Deathgate once again take power.

A census has revealed most of our dead. Slabs have been commissioned.

A baroness has joined the cause. As of writing, over 18 mercencies have joined up with us. (NOTE to future overseers, make sure Tip of the Worlds has open beds at all time, check L menu).

I've renamed the tavern to be more fitting in line with our goals

As demands on our metal industry grows, we ran out of iron. Mining has resuming in search.

Grolkski II has taken to adopting every pig in the fort (you have a preference for them ... crazy pig engineer?)

In other news, the desiginated heir died.

Reasons unclear. (nothing in justice, or sparring or combat logs beside this)

Sparring proceeds afoot

Word of our efforts has spread to the point even a baroness has decided to enlist

This concludes the Veterans of Deathgates reign.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Come and get it: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12121

I have no idea who's next, so I'm not sending a PM.

Notes for future overseers:
 - The two DG squads are all mercs and a legendary hammerdwarf as squad milita leader. Non-dwarves can't be captains or nobles (normally, the king was hacked). Leave them training 24/7.
 - We're getting a picket line for the military because its an old save so we can't get philosphers or poets. A DFHack fix might be possible but difficult
 - We'll keep getting petitions as long as there are open beds on "The Tip of the World" We've got 16 total, 6 open.
    - Humans and elves can use foreign weapons like two handed swords. Trade with the humans to get these. We can't make them
    - Goblins can only use the same set of weapons dwarfs normally can.
 - I still can't find the temple
 - The entire fort was drafted, they'll alternate every six months and are setup to mint lord status in about a years time as I mixed them with the surviving lords.
 - We need steel
 - Non-dwarfs need special armor. This goes for the prime minister too. It has to be queued up by hand at a forge, then set in the details screen
 - We got a pikeman, I'd like to see a pikelord; pikes are the most effective weapon period against demons/large monsters.
 - Make sure the mayor stays free. I evicted him from the military, and cleared labors. He's necessary to accept petitions. We still have a picket line (Guest /  No Job means they're waiting for the mayor).
 - Forbid the candy in the fort, or moods will fail. In a pinch, break down the trade depo to get three raw candy.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

Imagine how shittily this would have gone if I hadn't trained up three squads of steel-clad legends.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Imagine how shittily this would have gone if I hadn't trained up three squads of steel-clad legends.

I won't have tried it if you hadn't. When did Toady add demon breeding? We would have won hell had they not been popping out new demons on a near daily basis.

Course now, I'm hoping to have an entire fort of lords ^_^.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure who's next. It's either Imic, if they're willing to take a turn without destroying the fort, or (I think) Gwolfski.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

It's ironic that we're so used to not having turns get completed that on the rare occasions it happens we get confused and stubble around.

Hope everyone enjoyed my turn.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52