Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 96694 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Final Doom of Doomforest: The War Against Hell
« Reply #405 on: June 04, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »

Can I have a turn first please?

Just hope you have a super computer or a lot of patience.. This fort runs slow. Writing the next update, then I'm going to finish Spring.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #406 on: June 04, 2016, 09:03:41 pm »

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
22th of Slate 1074
===

I must be quick, there is much to recount:

The Prime Minister, with his soul touched by Our Lord has emerged from his quarters with a look I've only seen in the blessed few who have made artifacts.

He scurried up the stairs and claimed a Tanner's Workshop. An unusual choice, but goblins are not known for their ability to make fine works. Whatever he shall create, it shall be a most holy of object.

Some were concerned with his ramblings as Smunstu made his way to the workshop though ...

Though I suppose We can understand as it was our folly that beheaded him.

We've had most of the military stand down to help with the cleanup from that accursed spider. A due to the dead must occur, even on our timeline.

Despite this, the reclaimation goes well, as our miners have reached another of those unholy beasts. The Knights Templars, using the methods proscribed by Him executed the beast with one fell swoop.

Only three of the fell beasts remain in Doomforest. Then we can turn our attention to the true enemy.

---
27th of Slate

We have received a sign of Our Atonement, but at what cost?

Smunstu, acting in His stead has executed one responsible for his death!

(I should also mention that before doing this, Smunstu stripped himself naked to assume the Position of Penance. I've been told that the those who saw the naked prime minister will eventually recover).

As though inspired, Smunstu hauled the body back to the tanner's worksoip he had claimed, and began doing ... something ...

Unfortunately, others saw Smunstu act of purification, and reported it to the captain of the guard, a non-believer among us.

As acting overseer, the Veterans of Deathgate however have final authority over Justice. We must debate how to handle this.

---
28th of Slate

A most glorious artifact for those who shall lead us. As the He left, Smunstu accidentally dropped the crown and slipped under the floor. We will have to deconstruct the tanner's shop to get to it, but that is of no consequence.

Smunstu appears to have been fully healed by Him, with a look of satisfaction I've never seen on a goblin before.

EDIT: Does anyone want me to fix the migrant issue? We're at the unit cap at the map (dead units count towards it). There's a DFHack script that clears unimportant dead stuff which let more units come on. We could easily keep this going longer if people want more turns.

EDIT 2: I think I know how to solve our demon problem with two dwarfs and a crime. I need volunteers who wish to die nobly for the cause.

EDIT 3: You know what, fuck this framerate. I'm building a butcher army. On that note, permission to autodump/autoclean in what may be a vain attempt to get this place running speed? (Elders was able to get Deathgate up to 50 FPS towards its final years by doing this)

EDIT 4: I'm tempted to make Giant leguers trainable ... (but I won't edit the raws without permission)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:38:34 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2016, 02:09:56 am »

Does anyone know if the berserk dwarf in a cage is plot relevant? He was constructed in the dining room. I remember beserk units in cages caused FPS hits; not sure, but anything causing lag is going unless we need it for the plot.

He's going to be demon bait otherwise.

EDIT: Also, need to know if anyone wants me to do anything else with the few remaining caged goblins. The fort is now four months in, but not enough has happened to justify an update (I'm waiting until all the FBs are dead. Two left, though getting the one at the bottom of the magma sea required some creativity)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:34:18 am by NCommander »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #408 on: June 05, 2016, 07:43:42 am »

Pour water above magma fb. Done.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #409 on: June 05, 2016, 08:11:39 am »

Pour water above magma fb. Done.

That *was* the plan. No one will take the fill pond job to do it. I'm engineering a cave-in.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #410 on: June 05, 2016, 09:31:46 am »

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
22th of Felsite 1074
===

Our plans continue, though the day to day housekeeping of Doomforest continues to get in the way. For some time now, a Dwarven caravan has been stuck, due to one of their axles breaking as try tried to clear the trade depot. With some help from our masons, we were able to free them, abit at the cost of our trade depot deconstructing.

As a note to future Acolytes, that isn't green rock. The heathens exposed to sunlight have puked so heavily on the old trade depot, bridge and hallway as to permanently stain it. We are praying for permission to use a minor ritual to clean, but We have not reached a quorum.

I've included a drawing of mess for future reference. It however has caused me to have an idea to fortify the Knights Templar.

Meanwhile, the Lesser Diety Prime Minister's crown has been retrieved and handed to him. Although I was originally agast that a goblin would lead, he's devoted himself to the brillance of the One True God.

In his free time, he has gone to the tavern to tell others of his experience.

In other news, the great purge continues.

We number only two of the abominations now.  The Prime Minister has been briefed, and ordered the production of more armor to clad our soldiers, something the Veterans of Deathgate can fully embrace.

OOC: I was never so happy to see a mandate. That means he's fully working as both a member of the fort and as a noble. You can even assign him labors in the game (he doesn't show up in therapist). I may draft him and put him in steel to prevent another unfortunate accident; he's in much more danger since he now wanders the fort.

The Mining Guild has informed me that while they make progress towards the last beast in the caverns, it will be some time until they break through. As such, I've decided to accelerate plans towards our endgame.

One weakness of the Knights Templar is that exposure to the sun momentary stuns them from their long years underground and training. Should we beseiged, this might cause unfortunate accidents. I have, as the common folks say it "decided to kill two birds with one stone".

As part of our Ascension, we must hold a grand feast in honor of the securing of Hell, and in the memory of the One True God and his guide. Although I have yet to have another vision of him, I'm sure he is watching and waiting for us. While it is still months before we shall have this feast, we can being preparations by being the ritualistic slaughter required. As such, I've temporary drafted our off-duty solders into butchers, and ordered construction of an outside slaughtery.

Already I can hear the wonderful cries of cats dying

It should be noted for the official log that I've exempted almost all the grey langurs from this. Many dwarfs were scarified in the process of domestication. Only the still semi-feral ones shall be put down, and I've opened the rest up to adaption to whomever may want them. To keep the population under control, I will have some of the Axe Lords researching gelding; it should be a quick study.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 05, 2016, 10:42:41 am »

The caged berserk dwarf is mine. I just think it's hilarious that we have a berserk legendary axedwarf in an artifact cage in the dining hall. She gets fed as long as she stays in the cage, but do what you want with her. Go ahead and make the langurs trainable, we're pretty open to modding. Same with DFhack to clean shit up, I did that every single turn and nobody got mad.

Also, check notes near that symbol in the front gate :P

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 05, 2016, 10:47:14 am »

The caged berserk dwarf is mine. I just think it's hilarious that we have a berserk legendary axedwarf in an artifact cage in the dining hall. She gets fed as long as she stays in the cage, but do what you want with her. Go ahead and make the langurs trainable, we're pretty open to modding. Same with DFhack to clean shit up, I did that every single turn and nobody got mad.

Use dfhack to clean up and you will be our savior
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 05, 2016, 10:49:38 am »

There isn't too much to clean up, since I gave everything a once-over during my turn. Besides singed cavern corpses and cave spider webs, I don't know what items you could clean up.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2016, 10:51:06 am »

We had a puke party on the roof:
[DFHack]# clean all
Cleaned 536 of 39429 map blocks.
Removed 965 contaminants from 141 creatures.
Removed 1506 contaminants from 1080 items.

On that note, HOW did that happen? I thought berserk dwarfs were still TRAPAVOID (due to being part of the civ; which is why they can cause loyalty cascades when they snap). Anyway, the plan is to tie you up by the demons. You're still equipped so there's a good chance you can take a few out for me.

TheImmortal: How about autodump? The fort has ascended into double digits FPS (sitting at 11, which is much better than the 4 it started at). Every FB that dies gets me 1-2 more due to the old BUILDINGDESTROY FPS bug. Demons also cause framerate death.

If we clean up the dead units list to allow migrants again, it might prevent this fort from dying soon.

EDIT: I thought they were cats until I read the raws ...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:57:40 am by NCommander »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:11 am »

Nope, berserk dwarves can be trapped, that's always how it's been. Also, what do you mean, sticking ME out in front of the demons!? Are you talking about the berserk axedwarf? She's not my dwarf, I have a different dwarf.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2016, 10:59:24 am »

Nope, berserk dwarves can be trapped, that's always how it's been. Also, what do you mean, sticking ME out in front of the demons!? Are you talking about the berserk axedwarf? She's not my dwarf, I have a different dwarf.

Oh, I thought I killed you off when I killed 1/6th of the fort. Oops.

EDIT: And I'm tired. If I keep playing like this, I'll probably manage to cave in the entire fort -_-; (I'm half way through summer. I'm just lagging on updating because not much has happened in the great butchering)

EDIT 2: If we had giant cats, I'd be sorely tempted to get our warriors mounted on them (yes, yes, I know. I'm on a DFHack binge. I went and fixed my old plugin which made Animal Caretakers care for animals and submitted it for inclusion for the next version of DFHack)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:11:42 am by NCommander »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 05, 2016, 11:11:49 am »

Oh, I thought I killed you off when I killed 1/6th of the fort. Oops.

EDIT: And I'm tired. If I keep playing like this, I'll probably manage to cave in the entire fort -_-; (I'm half way through summer. I'm just lagging on updating because not much has happened in the great butchering)

This is the fastest update we've had in a year. Don't apologize, you are bring this fort back alive after months of inactivity
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #418 on: June 05, 2016, 11:23:32 am »

It helps I just let DF run in the background, and check it every 20 or so minutes which is how I've managed to deal with the FPS death.

EDIT: The framerate continues to rise. We're now at 14-15.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:19:11 pm by NCommander »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 05, 2016, 12:22:52 pm »

It helps I just let DF run in the background, and check it every 20 or so minutes which is how I've managed to deal with the FPS death.

EDIT: The framerate continues to rise. We're now at 14-15.
Thank the gods... You can take a second year if we get that far, I'm running breadbowl for a bit.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52