Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110916 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2016, 06:08:08 am »

Which is the case in basically every game on this forum. So I don't see it as much of a problem.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2016, 06:35:53 am »

As to the land/sea/air balance, perhaps you could do a paper-scissors-rock thing with safety in enemy territory. Normally I despise paper-scissors rock in games, but it sort of makes sense...
 You could have land forces on an island hold the airfields and provide uncontested fire support to aircraft in their airspace, but take massive losses if they try to land in territory controlled by a hostile navy and can be starved over time.
 Aircraft could harass naval operations such that navies in enemy territory would suffer constant attrition. Navies would be able to support land invasions but would be hard-pressed to engage the middle of an island where the airfields are, so would need to wait around for a land invasion if they wanted to keep going. Aircraft carriers would bend this a little, but they would consistently be constrained by a small number of small runways...
 So land would sort of beat air which would sort of beat naval which would sort of beat land and it would be very expensive or slow to advance if any one of them were resisting effectively. Mostly this would involve making the islands big enough that a battleship couldn't effectively shoot the middle...

If you give players access to uranium, they will want try to use it...

Brace for players to try to change their affiliations half-way through the war or for both nations to want to join the same alliance.

I had an idea of splitting technologies into technologies, parts, and products. An artillery piece might use the 150mm shrapnel ammunition and the compact mechanical aiming system and the airburst fuses, which in turn need large-calibre munitions and compound munitions and mechanical turrets and altitude detection... you could, umm, keep them separate to limit the rate of progress in any one field or something. It sounds complicated now and my mind turned off suddenly.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2016, 07:52:34 am »

Awww yisss, just exactly what I wanted.

Also
I'm just hoping that isn't too many turns per year so you have jets by 1940 or something.
it's 1939.
And rocket-powered planes were created as early as 1928 and 1929.
Brace for players to try to change their affiliations half-way through the war or for both nations to want to join the same alliance.
Forenia should go with Axis maybe, I mean, we sold Nazis assault rifles and IIRC USA is pretty annoyed with us actively trying to screw stuff over for them, UK might be annoyed with us stopping being their not-really-colony-but-you-get-the-idea, and so on. This way we would also keep the obviously much better metrics, while Tropico, being the USA puppet, would use imperial.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:59:04 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2016, 11:07:30 am »

That's just part of the fun.

Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2016, 12:34:23 pm »

Kot, you seem to forget that Forenia also helped out the Chinese and Russian forces a fair amount, which keeps the question rather... murky.

Also, where the hell is the Tropico weapon design game thing? Ive never seen it and I really want to at this point.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2016, 01:14:38 pm »

Also, where the hell is the Tropico weapon design game thing? Ive never seen it and I really want to at this point.

If there is going to be a war between the two nations, then this is likely to be needed before the start.  Could use it as a prototype for various things you would attempt.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2016, 01:58:23 pm »

That's a possibility. The one thing that makes me slightly unwilling to run Tropico (or some other nation,  from 1910 is that players will look at/remember the Forenia game and try to make the exact same stuff that was effective there. I could make the terrain different, sure, bit watch Kot try to make a recoil less rifle immediately, I bet he'd be ticked if it wasn't about as effective as in the other game. ;)

Also it would have to end in 1937 ideally, it couldn't change significant aspects of history that were talked about in the other game, and probably people would try to specifically design weapons to counter Forenian towards the end.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

Kot, you seem to forget that Forenia also helped out the Chinese and Russian forces a fair amount, which keeps the question rather... murky.
Russian forces are basically Soviet forces which, were allied with Nazis pre 1940, unless we're speaking Whites but then I don't remember a lot from the game and they don't exist anymore...
As for the Chinese... they fail at being relevant.
bit watch Kot try to make a recoil less rifle immediately, I bet he'd be ticked if it wasn't about as effective as in the other game. ;)
Nay. If it was made it would work as real recoiless rifle with proper HEAT rounds, not bullshit physics AP. I don't have anything about abusing certain types of weaponry to get upper hand, as long as it's realistic. AP slugging recoiless rifles aren't.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »

We where supplying the red army with stuff. As for the Chinese, well, they where somewhat anti Japanese. Heck, we may have offset the failed subget mission slightly by helping them out. US is probably more-or-less neutral to Forenia.

And ya, the main reason why we where salty over the recoilless rifle was the overt physics breakage.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »

So I've been thinking about it, and I believe I will start a game running parallel to Forenia from 1910 to 1935. I've already made a few rough notes: I have names for the factions (neither one is Tropico), and the continent will be named Turbados. Both factions will start with worse small arms than Forenian factions (IE matchlocks/caplocks and other muzzle-loaders), but with ships (some sailing, some with steam engines) and cannons. The central island will be narrowed (removing the "mountains" region) in favor of having four to six peripheral islands.

One last thing though: I've been thinking of hosting this one on the GiantITP forums. That would introduce some new players and the long-term though behind this would be that, one day in the distant future, MAYBE, there could be a war between Forenia and the other Turbados where Forenia is played by Bay 12 and Turbados is played by GiantITP. You guys wouldn't be prohibited from playing in the Turbados game, if you already have an account over there or sign up just to play it. Of course, if I do ever get around to the inter-forum war (no guarantees) you would have to later pick a side.

Thoughts?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »

TBH, if we play it it will proably end with Turbados geared towards war with Forenia.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2016, 03:45:37 pm »

Well, simple fix to that is let Forenia have a bit of time to build up to counter Turbados.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

TBH, if we play it it will proably end with Turbados geared towards war with Forenia.
That's definitely a concern I raised earlier. I don't think there's much to do about it besides rely on having different starting technology and a different environment. Beyond that, Forenia will just have to handle it. ;)

If we are doing the inter-forum thing, I might also consider suggestions for other venues. The GITP forums have some caveats, like strict rules on image size that probably haven't been changed since 2003 and a rule ostensibly banning all real-world political discussion. I don't know if that's enforced, but a forum game in which you have to weigh the financial gains versus moral turpitude of selling advanced firearms to Hitler himself could run afoul of that.

Well, simple fix to that is let Forenia have a bit of time to build up to counter Turbados.
Also possible. If one side is obviously way ahead of the other, I don't doubt I can think of some kludge to even them out before having them fight each other.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2016, 03:53:13 pm »

Well, dont use the CataclysmDDA forums. There are simply not enough people there for that. And you could always contact the GITP admins and ask them if running a game wherein people will likely be selling to Hitler is an issue.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »

TVTropes? They'll love this stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78