Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110892 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2016, 10:10:23 pm »

Well, one and a half weapon design games arent enough for me. As such, I plan on doing a cross-forum game shortly, with one side being on these forums and the other being elsewhere. Probably the spacebattles forums. To help keep it differentiated from Sensei's planned game of that, its going to take place in a different setting. Probably a post-cataclymsic subway system under a rather damaged and irradiated city.

As for my current weapon design game, I think I have tried to do toomuch toofast, and assuch I think its time that I end it.

Could try sufficient velocity or alternatehistory.com, so the attention on Space Battles isn't as divided and more places can be introduced to the concept. 
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:08 am »

I had an idea and would like some opinions.

Fantasy version of Arms Race. Magic, faith and demihuman/inhuman allies.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2016, 01:45:40 am »

The problem is that it becomes harder to design stuff when you're not sure what the universe's rules are. It might also feel unfair if your enemy get a huge advantage from something you didn't know was possible.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2016, 02:12:03 am »

Magic (or atleast handwaving) is probably going to be showing in my planned game.

Mostly in the form of allowing safe, large scale production of any form of gun propellant. With black powder its sulfur, with every other gun propellant its nitric(which is apparently not a word according to firefox) acid and sulfuric acid.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2016, 04:25:07 am »

So long as the rules are clear and upfront it shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of things to cover sadly. Collateral damage for example is usually subject entirely to plot convenience in magical source-works. The fire-wizard will happily fling fireballs all day with no issue right up until the plot needs an explosion and then suddenly it can set fire to the granary. Often fire magic just doesn't start fires for some reason, like magical forces overwright physical forces while they are manifesting, which would probably be a pretty useful way of looking at it: Industry is about exploiting natures, magic is about ignoring them. Your fire spell just burns, adding the ability to ignite things would require further research and result in something that can be equally hazardous to either force and you really don't want to use if the enemy is better at wind magic...
 Perhaps you could have distinct elements(fire), which would be extremely difficult to develop because they are inherently jealous or something, and specific disciplines(burn, combust, light, warm, explode, various effects on spirits and places such as marking out a campsite...) that need to be researched, and specific spells or rituals that need to be researched if you want to use your disciplines with any vague sense of efficiency...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:18 am »

The problem is that it becomes harder to design stuff when you're not sure what the universe's rules are. It might also feel unfair if your enemy get a huge advantage from something you didn't know was possible.

So just like what we have to deal with in real life on the cutting edge.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:30 am »

Had a thought to a game that could be run by someone.  Rather than the standard set-up of two nations fighting each other, what about having one side be a faction of inventive survivors, while the other is a disease that mutates the infected into different forms.  The faction would have the standard Design/Revision structure (revision providing a bonus as to what it modifies), while the plague would have two design actions that must always introduce a new variant of creature the plague mutates things into.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:59 am »

Humans vs monsters game will cause "We don't know what is possible" on monsters part

Unrelated:
Surprisingly for me, spacebattles arms race is getting stronger than Florenia in the same time period. their 1914 is very competitive against Florenia 1914. They got a nice sidearm sniper rifle, machinegun, howitzer and first real warship.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:33 pm »

The machinegun was equaled by Florenia's 1910, although the sniper was a sorta 1911/19... 20? When where the optics...

Warship is a new thing, and the howitzer was about equal. So, sped up optics design, new ship design, and thats about it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2016, 04:27:19 pm »

Yeah, Florenia's Artillery still outpaces theirs given that we have both light and medium, while they only have the medium.

That being said, after a couple days effort and several days procrastination, I finally did up a list of what the Florenian army would be using.

Thoughts? Comments?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2016, 07:00:28 pm »

The Nosin is the better sniper, although I think Moskurg made the better sights. Have a Nosin fitted with Moskurgian optics? For trucks, I think ours had stuff for extra guns on back, for use as light SPAA. Keeping both, and looking for a single better design, is a good idea, like with the assault rifles.

Also, missing grenades, landmines. Moskurg made the better mines, but I dont think they made handgrenades. Also, none of your fancy armor? I also dont know if the designs from the last... Two design phases? The gaint rocks o' death and silliness, the train aircraft carrier, and the individual designs.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2016, 07:11:58 pm »

-Man Portable AT: RPG-28a (This was primarily used to avoid slat over the RRs again. Of course, given the physics fuckery around those we can assume that thouse designs were nicked for power plant plans :P)

We need every advantage we can.  Therefore, let there be salt.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:31 pm »

I think ours where better in the end, once we got the shape of the HEAT warheads worked out to not be flat.

Granted, slat armor stopped them, but they also stopped the RRs. And we can always design a HE rocket.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:23 pm »

First off, The Osprey is specially designed with snipers in mind. The fact it also has a 10-round mag also helps it's case. As for the individual grenades we're just assuming that Arstotzka's ones are used, since moskurg had none. The mines are a little blurry, but for the most part, Arstotzka's landmine is put to use for AP work while the viper mines are mostly used against tanks.

As for the trucks, I'd assume both would be capable of mounting a weapons in the back or something. Rather, it's the fuel logistics and suspension system that gave the Tiger truck the spot. Keeping both but looking for a better design is something that I did with the ARs purely because neither had a definite advantage over the other

The armour is something being saved later, depending on the steam mecha jokes about turbados and Florenia. Needless to say though that steel armour has dropped out of favour due to the costs and drawbacks of it with most units aside from a few assault units.

The final design phase units are something that's essentially being mothballed. No longer in production and essentially forgotten about. Though the technical experience and technologies used in them will be far from being mothballed. Same with a lot of the stuff that didn't make the list actually
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »

The non-Tiger truck had a revision shoved at it to make it really good to throw many guns on the back of. Atleast, I thought it was. Aggravating.
 Also, we dont have numbers on howmuch the Tiger can hold, but ours holds 8ton.

When was the Osprey made? The combat report should tell us which was better.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78