Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100753 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #1155 on: August 07, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »

Away with you! Back to your thread with the rest of your accursed kind!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 08, 2016, 02:59:24 pm »

Away with you! Back to your thread with the rest of your accursed kind!
lol praise chaos lololololololol
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 11, 2016, 07:26:41 pm »

Given the introduction of very basic modern technical knowledge of all colors into a much less advanced, but still steel-using society, I wonder how practical a simple-blowback black powder submachine gun could be.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »

Given the introduction of very basic modern technical knowledge of all colors into a much less advanced, but still steel-using society, I wonder how practical a simple-blowback black powder submachine gun could be.

Depends. If we're at the 1632-type situation, you're going to need reliable primers and metallic cases at a bare minimum; neither is especially simple. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 11, 2016, 07:43:01 pm »

That does seem to be the main issue, yes.

The cases and so on would be the most difficulty part to manufacture.

I suppose one solution would be to create sort of cardboard shells using waxed paper or parchment. For primers/ignition, I suppose one answer would be to install a very simple hand-cranked electrical system to ignite rounds in the chamber using electrical sparks, crude generators and batteries being extremely simple to make in theory. It'd make the gun itself considerably heavier and more expensive, but potentially save a great deal on ammunition.

Obviously the flimsy shells would require fairly anemic loadings and low rates of fire, but that could be bypassed in a few ways.

Alternatively, something akin to very long Rocket Balls could be used, still with the spark igniters.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: August 11, 2016, 08:23:50 pm »

That does seem to be the main issue, yes.

The cases and so on would be the most difficulty part to manufacture.

I suppose one solution would be to create sort of cardboard shells using waxed paper or parchment. For primers/ignition, I suppose one answer would be to install a very simple hand-cranked electrical system to ignite rounds in the chamber using electrical sparks, crude generators and batteries being extremely simple to make in theory. It'd make the gun itself considerably heavier and more expensive, but potentially save a great deal on ammunition.

Obviously the flimsy shells would require fairly anemic loadings and low rates of fire, but that could be bypassed in a few ways.

Alternatively, something akin to very long Rocket Balls could be used, still with the spark igniters.
Well, if you could harden the parchment and re-introduce certain fibers that were lost or weren't lost in the timber>parchment transition, then you could create a strong enough shell hypothetically. As far as primers and making it more easy to load and fire, it's simple, I would figure you'd do the exact same thing that they do with firearms just with what's available. If your using metal pipes to craft the barrel, magazines, or what have you, then you'd want to install a firing pin in the chamber and possibly something in the magazines so that when they are loaded a spark will go off. Note that the disadvantage of this plan is that every time you load a magazine it would fire a bullet to de-facto start the reaction, but anyone with a hint of experience with firearms wouldn't have a problem pointing it at the ground when they load it. It would probably be very prone to jamming depending on the quality of the magazine primer's.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 12, 2016, 01:19:59 am »

Incendiary torpedo.

I'm imagining two shaped charges and a hell of a lot of napalm or whatever was made to replace napalm. WP instead? FOOF?

The first shaped charge opens the hole while the second delivers the package through said hole.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 12, 2016, 02:04:03 am »

Whatever that stuff is which reacts with water. Gives you a river of fire rushing in.

Although most things I've seen hit by torpedoes haven't lived to see a secondary effect.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 12, 2016, 02:58:56 am »

I think torpedoes are generally large enough to carry sufficient straight explosive to down most targets. A few battleships famously needed multiple hits to destroy, but beyond that, not a lot of need for extra-scary torpedoes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 12, 2016, 10:55:03 am »

So the primary purpose would be for striking ports then, though if you're torpedoing ports then something has gone wrong logistically and stragically then most likely.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 12, 2016, 10:58:49 am »

Russians do have torpedoes with nuclear warheads...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:24 am »

Could make some kind of anti-personnel torpedo?
For when you wanna reclaim the submarine.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 12, 2016, 11:54:05 am »

Could make some kind of anti-personnel torpedo?
For when you wanna reclaim the submarine.

Maybe some kind of enhanced radiation device, but water is fairly radiation blocking and actually reclaiming the subway once everyone is dead would be problematic.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 12, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »

I'll bet you a sodium torpedo would be pretty effective for what it was trying to do.

Not sure what that would be, but still.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 12, 2016, 12:07:01 pm »

Maybe a barbed sabot?
We don't need water to get in, after all.
Bonus points if it's a lighter-than-air lethal gas. Instant ghost sub.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 91