Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100927 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #1050 on: June 25, 2016, 03:34:53 pm »

Because necessities are necessities.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 25, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »

Because necessities are necessities.

Then why limit it to two? Lets say a citizen earns "rent points", "food points", "entertainment points" and so on. Could be a good way to control a society in some kind of planned economy.
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 25, 2016, 03:50:55 pm »

ARISE O THREAD. THROUGH THINE WILL I BIND THEE ONCE AGAIN TO CORPOREAL FORM TO CARRY THINE MESSAGE YONDER INTO THE DARKLING SKIES.

So had a thought recently about a country with a split-tier currency, one reserved entirely for necessities, one for luxuries and controlled substances. Feasibility? Either nowish or in space-sovia.

There is was  something of that sort in Cuba back when I was there in 2005. Apparently it began during the Special Period, and lasted until three years ago. There are two currencies: standard pesos, and convertible pesos (If you're a tourist you will only get the second sort). Standard pesos could be used by locals to buy basic commodities, pay rent, electricity, etc... while convertible pesos could be used to buy more "luxury" items. Convertible pesos could be converted to cuban pesos, but not the other way around.

Post-script: reading on it on the net apparently they have been moving towards keeping only the convertible peso for everything since 2013
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 25, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »

So the 'food stamp' currency dies pretty quickly in most cases?
Balls.

Life points seems interesting though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 25, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 26, 2016, 02:34:30 am »

Sorry buddy, necromancy is an ephemeral art. One cannot truly bring the dead back to life.
Having served my bidding this thread shall slump and return beneath the loam once more.

Also no idea why this is still called theoretical weapons when it's basically the forum hub of all speculative sci-fi.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1056 on: June 26, 2016, 03:41:05 am »

If metallurgy advances at the same rate from WW2 to modern (now) times, steel / alloys getting thinner but keeping strength, and at the same time, everything but metallurgy receeded back to WW2-era tech, how feasible would it be to have old school dogfights / old school tankfights / old school shipfights in 'le futah' as a focal point in a story? Also how far into the future before a tank like the Maus became feasible for mass-production with the weight reduction?

To throw a relevent reference from A Knight's Tale: "I've found a new way of making the steel lighter but retaining the same strength" (cut to image of Nike swoosh engraved on the armor)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 26, 2016, 06:12:06 am »

To me it seems unfeasible that everything but metallurgy would recede, but eh.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 26, 2016, 06:28:53 am »

Also, Maus and Ratte would always have the issue that the larger a tank is, the better target it is for bombers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:08 am »

To me it seems unfeasible that everything but metallurgy would recede, but eh.
Call it alt-ww2, where metallurgy happened to develop a lot faster than everything else?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:32 am »

Advances in metallurgy would effect engine and transmission tech at least... Jet aircraft would have came to use earlier(prior to war?), Allies wouldn't be behind the Germans in ammunition manufacturing, semi-automatic rifles would be used more and so forth.

Entropy makes sure you can always break things easier than protect them so Maus-like concepts remain fairly useless.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 26, 2016, 10:15:43 am »

Advances in metallurgy would effect engine and transmission tech at least... Jet aircraft would have came to use earlier(prior to war?), Allies wouldn't be behind the Germans in ammunition manufacturing, semi-automatic rifles would be used more and so forth.

Entropy makes sure you can always break things easier than protect them so Maus-like concepts remain fairly useless.

Survivability and lethality are always jockeying for preeminence. Armor has definitely been in the lead for more than one period of history.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:03 am »

Survivability and lethality are always jockeying for preeminence. Armor has definitely been in the lead for more than one period of history.

Not what I meant... But even back in medieval times armor was mighty expensive and still didn't protect against some weapon types. Defensive weapons on the other hand have been leading many times, best example I believe are artillery and machine guns in World War I.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 26, 2016, 11:02:35 am »

Another random idea needing proofing.
Basically a different planet has no natural iron, so they have incredibly advanced crystallography.
Wondering if crystalline carbon and silicon could potentially replace our standard wood, steel and cement, without any horrible structural issues.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 26, 2016, 11:17:10 am »

Another random idea needing proofing.
Basically a different planet has no natural iron, so they have incredibly advanced crystallography.
Wondering if crystalline carbon and silicon could potentially replace our standard wood, steel and cement, without any horrible structural issues.

I do not think a direct swap is possible due to radically different materiel properties, but there is no reason why one could not envisage a whole different "school" of structural engineering that developed from the application of carbon.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 91