Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100965 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #975 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:15 pm »

When you thaw those people you're still going to have to retrain them if they've been in stasis for more than a few years, which means they wouldn't be worth any more than a regular recruit. Why not just use those people who are willing to sign up right now instead of later? Not to mention how expensive that would be to store enough "soldiers" to make a difference in a war.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 26, 2016, 01:18:13 am »

A major difficulty with cryostasis is that you can't actually freeze a normally configured human being and wake them back up. When somebody is entirely frozen, ice crystals form in their cells, which kills the cells. What you have to do is bring them down to an extremely low temperature without actually freezing them, which slows down chemical reactions and prevents decay from various causes.

Additionally, you can't store somebody like that indefinitely, for many reasons, the longest-term of which being that they can't heal the standard genetic and cellular damage caused by background radiation while frozen. Basically, if you leave someone stasized for fifty years and thaw them out, they suddenly have to deal with fifty years of normal radiation damage all at once.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:32 am »

A major difficulty with cryostasis is that you can't actually freeze a normally configured human being and wake them back up. When somebody is entirely frozen, ice crystals form in their cells, which kills the cells.
This basically. Once your cells freeze, they rupture.
Which is damage that we really just cannot fix.1
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 26, 2016, 02:30:53 am »

Yep.

The one major way we've tried and gotten to work is saturating the organism in question with an antifreeze solution, usually Glycerol, I believe. The goal is low temperature, not actual freezing, so if you lower the freezing point of the water involved, you can make it work, at least in theory. Prolonged stasis is probably still not viable.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 26, 2016, 10:57:01 am »

Cryogenics isn't the best idea. Only a slim minority of soldiers would throw their lives away like that and then you have all the practical problems mentioned earlier.

What could be done instead is that each soldier has a voluntary brain-scan at the end of their deployment. This scan is stored in a facility and lives out their life in a virtual space. Then when the enemy invades and duty calls they are placed in a combat robot to fight the enemy. When the war is over, they are placed back in the virtual space.

Boom. An entirely voluntary procedure with no loss on the soldier's part that results in a trained fighting force. You could even sell it as one of the benefits of joining the army: after all, it's (technically) immortality. A perfect system, provided you can ignore the unsettling implications.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:17 am »

What if cryogenics exist, but is very expensive or otherwise limited? I'm sure plenty of people would love to spend some time in suspended animation and see what the future is like. Then, the government could have a deal "We will keep you in storage for x years for free, but in case of need, you agree that we can thaw you and conscript you."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #981 on: April 26, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

What if cryogenics exist, but is very expensive or otherwise limited? I'm sure plenty of people would love to spend some time in suspended animation and see what the future is like. Then, the government could have a deal "We will keep you in storage for x years for free, but in case of need, you agree that we can thaw you and conscript you."

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 26, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »

Sorry to get off topic (back topic?) but there's a bit of an issue with fighter jets on Venus.... No oxidizer. A significant proportion of a jet's fuel and propellant are free on Earth... But barring really volatile and impractical fuels or one-man nuclear thermal jets, jets per se don't really work on Venus.

You'd probably end up with electric propeller planes, perhaps outfitted with booster rockets. Nothing would break the sound barrier except some expensive private rocket transports.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 26, 2016, 08:45:12 pm »

The main problem that I could see with Cryogenics that we just can't solve is the culture shock of suddenly skipping forward x amount of years. We might eventually get nanobots that can heal people during crystasis, and if we're being theoretical, let's say we eventually figure out the brain, and install a computer of some kind into everyone that's frozen and just have them download info on the new stuff. We still wouldn't be able to fix the problem of culture shock, no matter what we download, because a large part of human culture is being a part of said culture. I'm sure you might end up with people who do this enough times to get "used" to the culture shock, but you still wouldn't be able to mix them in with the newer recruits, or even the old ones after a while.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:38 am »

Sorry to get off topic (back topic?) but there's a bit of an issue with fighter jets on Venus.... No oxidizer. A significant proportion of a jet's fuel and propellant are free on Earth... But barring really volatile and impractical fuels or one-man nuclear thermal jets, jets per se don't really work on Venus.

You'd probably end up with electric propeller planes, perhaps outfitted with booster rockets. Nothing would break the sound barrier except some expensive private rocket transports.
Well, yeah. That's why we were talking about how they would be slower but more maneuverable. :p

We didn't forget or anything, after all. >.> Not at all...

Rocket jets still cool tho.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:44 pm »

You could actually try using carbon dioxide as your oxidant, but you'd have to be using quite funky exotic fuels.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 27, 2016, 06:25:06 pm »

isn't Venus super hot and has a crushing atmosphere? that might put a damper on any Venusian jet plane.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 27, 2016, 06:27:05 pm »

isn't Venus super hot and has a crushing atmosphere? that might put a damper on any Venusian jet plane.
The planes discussed here are flying off of floating settlements in the upper atmosphere, where the pressure and temperatures are survivable
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 27, 2016, 06:33:36 pm »

The atmosphere of Venus is both hot and high pressure, but what happens to air pressure when you go up? It decreases, of course, and so does temperature.
Around 50km up, you get to 1 atmo pressure, which is much better, and that's where these planes would operate - from floating cities, since breathable air mixtures would be buoyant.

Quote from: Geoffrey A. Landis
“However, viewed in a different way, the problem with Venus is merely that the ground level is too far below the one atmosphere level. At cloud-top level, Venus is the paradise planet.”
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:02 pm »

Ya know, if you consider an unbreathable atmosphere and no ground to be "paradise". ;)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 91