Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100977 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #945 on: April 24, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »

Let's take that idea and run with it: Might bird-style aviation be practical in the Venerian atmosphere?

Define practical.

Cool enough to do despite the inherent inefficiencies? Sure. Better than other methods? Nope.
This is a blank sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 24, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »

That's sort of what I was thinking. It's cool, but it also drastically increases the chance of damaging something* and increases the time it takes to turn around a returning fighter for a second launch. Drop-launching definitely has merit, though.

Actually, an anti-ballast system might be interesting. Carry high-pressure oxygen/nitrogen tanks (which double as life support). On landing, kill your velocity and use the tanks to inflate balloons such that the aircraft has a net slight downward drift due to gravity, soft-land like that. Still the same problem with winds, though, and the added concern that they couldn't be reset after a botched landing. Maybe a different system where the volume of atmosphere in the landing envelopes is enough to lift slightly higher than standard colony/ship altitude, and float the fighter up into a hanger with downward-facing doors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 24, 2016, 01:36:06 pm »

Or fly upwards until velocity is zero, and then deploy parachutes to drift gently down into the catching mechanism.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 24, 2016, 02:40:17 pm »

Venerian athmosphere? Is that when you're litteraly in a cloud of syphillis?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 24, 2016, 03:46:22 pm »

Same root words (Venus as the goddess of love, for which the planet was named and from which VD also drew its moniker). 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »

That's sort of what I was thinking. It's cool, but it also drastically increases the chance of damaging something* and increases the time it takes to turn around a returning fighter for a second launch. Drop-launching definitely has merit, though.

Actually, an anti-ballast system might be interesting. Carry high-pressure oxygen/nitrogen tanks (which double as life support). On landing, kill your velocity and use the tanks to inflate balloons such that the aircraft has a net slight downward drift due to gravity, soft-land like that. Still the same problem with winds, though, and the added concern that they couldn't be reset after a botched landing. Maybe a different system where the volume of atmosphere in the landing envelopes is enough to lift slightly higher than standard colony/ship altitude, and float the fighter up into a hanger with downward-facing doors.
The winds aren't too bad, if I remember right. That high up, they're usually fairly predictable outside of storms. It will always be a concern of course, but since both the airship and the carried plane will be affected, it isn't quite as bad as it could be. Cross-sectional density differences would be the main problem there, I suspect; you might have to turn the carrier a specific direction relative to the wind, and land from a specific direction as well, but I believe that's done as it is anyway.

Subaerocraft or however you would call them would be fairly interesting. Dive into the thicker atmosphere, can afford to be a bit heavier since the lift force will be more efficient, harder to spot what with the ridiculous amount of clouds Venus has. Which is really probably the best justification you can have for short-range combat in a sci-fi environment; hard to get a good radar or GPS lock when half the sky's covered by sulfuric acid.

Still think individual suits would be cool for boarding, but full aircraft would probably help with intercepting, scouting, and so on.

I hate to take it away from weapons, but do you guys think the temperature gradient in the atmosphere would be able to be used with massively tall power plants? I'm almost certain it wouldn't be very practical for use in powering airships, but if we got automated mines or the like set up on the surface to get materials, and used the towers for transport upwards as well as power? If you had equal pressures inside and out, it wouldn't be too bad, after all...

On yet another note, how would defenses adapt to these weapons, on both sides? I have a feeling electronic warfare will be very important.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 24, 2016, 03:55:55 pm »

Same root words (Venus as the goddess of love, for which the planet was named and from which VD also drew its moniker).

I've always seen venusian when referring to the planet though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 24, 2016, 05:03:41 pm »

Yeah, but I like to be a pretentious pseudo-intellectual and use the more obscure, but correct choice of word.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 24, 2016, 05:43:59 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 24, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »

I'm not actually seeing Venerian there. :P Closest is Venerim. Besides which, Merriam-Webster>Wiktionary.\

Doesn't matter in any case.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 24, 2016, 05:52:23 pm »

Genetive (which is what the Romans would have used to say 'of/belonging to Venus) is veneris. Venerian is closer to the original Latin and thus more pretentious.

And venerian occurs in Merriam-Webster as well, just not in the plebeian free version :P
The Bay12 postcard club

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 24, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »

Genetive (which is what the Romans would have used to say 'of/belonging to Venus) is veneris. Venerian is closer to the original Latin and thus more pretentious.

And venerian occurs in Merriam-Webster as well, just not in the plebeian free version :P
What? Paying for a dictionary?  Come on, the thread is about speculative science fiction, but we're trying to keep things at least plausible.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 24, 2016, 06:33:31 pm »

Why pay for a dictionary when you can just pirate everything off the internet and get enough viruses to kill the FBI mainframe?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 24, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »

Huh. When I saw it earlier, it didn't say that. Just said it was obsolete, which was my point :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 91